Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please ask me questions about anything related to A-level Economics

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in discussing Economics and also helping answer your questions. My background is in teaching Economics at the A-level.

Regards,

Ali
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can you help me get my head around both Dis/Economies of Scales. The two terms confuse me a bit.

Thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Removed
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ali,

Thank you for being helpful.

Can you help me with two doubts that I have regarding liquidity preference theory?

Firstly, Is holding money in savings account considered "hoarding" money, i.e. a "demand for liquidity"? Was Keynes referring to piggy bank holding of money when he talked about liquidity preference in his book, or did he also mean savings account? Why some books regard putting money in savings/bank accounts as holding/hoarding money? I'm confused. Wouldn't the bank be able to make loans with those balances by Fractional reserve banking so how can that be considered as hoarding money?

Secondly, one of the criticisms about the LP theory is that, just like what Keynes critcized of the Classical Loanable funds theory, the LP theory is indeterminate - like, before to find out the interest rate you need to know national income, and then to know NY you need to know Investment level which is in turn determined by i/r. I don't understand the fuzz about this. What exactly is determinacy of an economic theory? Are they not just estimations to understand what's going on? Are economic thoeries supposed to be determinate? Is the normal demand and supply theory or the monopoly firm theory considered determinate?

I would appreciate even if you were to spare me some clues which I can further research from. Thank you so much!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: August 14, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.