Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

high protein non protein shake food products

Announcements Posted on
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I made this thread for those amongst us that wish to get their protein the natural way from everyday products not including protein shakes and other supplements. If you guys know of VEGETARIAN high protein food stuff please can you share it here.

Yesterday I brought:
    • Tofu from VB&Sons for £1.99, a shop in NW london and
    • Tesco's unsweetened Soya milk for 59p.

The tesco soya milk is gross - just drank half a glass and it was gross but I forced myself to drink it! The tofu I had was good in the vegetable tofu stir fry.

Edit: Mods I just saw there is a nutrition sub section - please feel free to move this to there, thanks.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Eggs, chick peas, legumes, tempeh, nuts. You can find plenty on google. And big up on VB & Sons, my mate's family owns it
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    Eggs, chick peas, legumes, tempeh, nuts. You can find plenty on google. And big up on VB & Sons, my mate's family owns it
    they must be minted :/. I know what products have protein, but after specific recommendations of what food stuffs and what shops . e.g. does anyone know where I can get good tasting sofa milk?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    they must be minted :/. I know what products have protein, but after specific recommendations of what food stuffs and what shops . e.g. does anyone know where I can get good tasting sofa milk?
    Soya milk has been linked to higher estrogen levels, anything wrong with normal cows or goats milk?
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Soya milk has been linked to higher estrogen levels, anything wrong with normal cows or goats milk?
    nothing wrong with normal milk - I just thought soya milk had higher protein levels. Need to read into the oestrogen thing :/

edit: just read this and it's scaring me now :/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...rink.features7
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    nothing wrong with normal milk - I just thought soya milk had higher protein levels. Need to read into the oestrogen thing :/

edit: just read this and it's scaring me now :/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...rink.features7
    There is a reason why normal milk is better than Soya.

That is an obvious one.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARRY PUTAH)
    There is a reason why normal milk is better than Soya.

That is an obvious one.
    And soya milk tastes like pure ass.

At OP, milk, dairy (eggs/cheese), nuts, legumes, all meats (fish, chicken, beef etc), soya/baked beans, cottage cheese, goji berries, oats and there's quite a lot in seeds as well. The reason people rely on liquid protein is it's easier to take in and simple to make. It's difficult to get liquid protein without powder though. I really wouldn't want to try a meat/cottage cheese/bean and milk shake. You can add nuts to shakes though and that's not all bad.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    And soya milk tastes like pure ass.

At OP, milk, dairy (eggs/cheese), nuts, legumes, all meats (fish, chicken, beef etc), soya/baked beans, cottage cheese, goji berries, oats and there's quite a lot in seeds as well. The reason people rely on liquid protein is it's easier to take in and simple to make. It's difficult to get liquid protein without powder though. I really wouldn't want to try a meat/cottage cheese/bean and milk shake. You can add nuts to shakes though and that's not all bad.
    SOme of the heavyweight strongmen do disgusting protein shakes where meat is a main ingredient.

The Top Gear V12/V8? powered blender would be used.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Myth.

There is little or no evidence that soya or phyto-oestrogens alter testosterone or oestrogen levels in man ("Clinical studies show no effects of soy protein or isoflavones on reproductive hormones in men: results of a meta-analysis").

It is a out of date theoretical risk rather than a genuine danger.

If you guys know of VEGETARIAN high protein food stuff please can you share it here.
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Beans
    Pulses
    Mycoprotein
    Low fat dairy products (Depends on the "vegetarian")
    Eggs (Depends on the "vegetarian")
    Poultry (Depends on the "vegetarian")
    Fish (Depends on the "vegetarian")

I made this thread for those amongst us that wish to get their protein the natural way from everyday products not including protein shakes and other supplements.
    FYI "natural" does not always mean better, it is a logical fallacy to assume otherwise.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Myth.

There is little or no evidence that soya or phyto-oestrogens alter testosterone or oestrogen levels in man ("Clinical studies show no effects of soy protein or isoflavones on reproductive hormones in men: results of a meta-analysis").

It is a out of date theoretical risk rather than a genuine danger.

Nuts
    Seeds
    Beans
    Pulses
    Mycoprotein
    Low fat dairy products (Depends on the "vegetarian")
    Eggs (Depends on the "vegetarian")
    Poultry (Depends on the "vegetarian")
    Fish (Depends on the "vegetarian")

FYI "natural" does not always mean better, it is a logical fallacy to assume otherwise.
    I have noticed that you put "vegetarian" in quotes, but there is not a single vegetarian on the planet who eats poultry or fish! It is absolutely no different to me saying "I'm vegetarian but I sometimes eat steak"!
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    no, it's been linked to higher phytoestrogen levels
    phytoestrogens =! oestrogens

Here are 2 studies to show that soy intake has no effect on steroid hormone levels

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?t...Japanese%20Men

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19524224

Now can this stupid broscience bull**** stop being propagated

edit: Chocoholic posting the same study as me? ****ing wizard, is this real life
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARRY PUTAH)
    SOme of the heavyweight strongmen do disgusting protein shakes where meat is a main ingredient.

The Top Gear V12/V8? powered blender would be used.
    That is nasty.

(Original post by callum9999)
    I have noticed that you put "vegetarian" in quotes, but there is not a single vegetarian on the planet who eats poultry or fish! It is absolutely no different to me saying "I'm vegetarian but I sometimes eat steak"!
    Quite a few piscatarians label themselves vegitarians. It's just easier and a lot of people become very lax with regards to meat if you say you'er a pisc rather than veggie.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    That is nasty.

Quite a few piscatarians label themselves vegitarians. It's just easier and a lot of people become very lax with regards to meat if you say you'er a pisc rather than veggie.
    Easier for them maybe... Not easier for the non-lying vegetarians who have to put up with people constantly trying to give them chicken and fish because of non-vegetarians telling them what they eat is a vegetarian diet!

Though I don't get how it makes them "lax with regards to meat"? Surely if you tell them you eat no meat other than fish they'll get the idea?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Love how people ask for advice on student forums. go to bodybuilding forums bro. People who are clue'd up brah.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Easier for them maybe... Not easier for the non-lying vegetarians who have to put up with people constantly trying to give them chicken and fish because of non-vegetarians telling them what they eat is a vegetarian diet!

Though I don't get how it makes them "lax with regards to meat"? Surely if you tell them you eat no meat other than fish they'll get the idea?
    You would think so. However, a lot of people don't bother with the meat contamination aspect of things if you tell them you eat fish as they just assume you are a more lax version of a veggie. Not only that but it's also harder to explain why you're a piscatarian vs a vegitarian. I wouldn't refer to them a lying vegetarians, it's just easier.

I've never seen somebody try to give chicken/fish to a veggie though, you must eat in some properaly retarded resteraunts.

(Original post by Scot_land)
    Love how people ask for advice on student forums. go to bodybuilding forums bro. People who are clue'd up brah.
    Troll.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A lot do believe it or not.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You would think so. However, a lot of people don't bother with the meat contamination aspect of things if you tell them you eat fish as they just assume you are a more lax version of a veggie. Not only that but it's also harder to explain why you're a piscatarian vs a vegitarian. I wouldn't refer to them a lying vegetarians, it's just easier.

I've never seen somebody try to give chicken/fish to a veggie though, you must eat in some properaly retarded resteraunts.

Troll.
    Seriously i'm sorry my bad because student forums are totally the place be for fitness , Seriously ignore this beta and visit bodybuilding forums
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone able to help me. Want something that's quick to consume like a protein shake.

Am allergic to dairy (incl eggs), nuts and soya.

Thanks for any help.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scot_land)
    Seriously i'm sorry my bad because student forums are totally the place be for fitness , Seriously ignore this beta and visit bodybuilding forums
    Trololololol. It's lame to continue trying to troll when you've been immediately called out. Just shows you're a bit dull.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Troll.
    Well I don't normally eat in restaurants at all - it's more about other people who are serving you food (and some countries don't respect the phrase "vegetarian" anyway!). I do realise I'm sounding rather harsh about this, but if you call yourself vegetarian when you eat fish or chicken, you ARE lying - and there is no debate over whether you are or not!

(Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    A lot do believe it or not.
    I think you missed my point. It is physically impossible to be a vegetarian who eats fish or chicken! You're either vegetarian or you are not - absolutely NO exceptions! People lie (innocently in some cases) and claim they are vegetarian, but that doesn't make them vegetarian in the slightest. There is no logical reason at all why a vegetarian could eat chicken, but couldn't eat a steak every day.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 6, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.