The Student Room Group

What subjects should I choose for standard grade if I want to do medicine at uni?

I have just chosen my subjects for standard grade in scotland. I will be doing maths, english, french, art, physics, chemistry, biology and modern studies but I was just wondering if these subjects are ok if I want to do medicine at uni?
Reply 1
Should be fine. As long as you have Maths, English and the sciences, they're not really fussed about what else you take.
I did roughly same subjects as you, OP. P.E instead of Art, and Computing instead of Physics - I'm currently sitting on an offer. Like Helenia says: Maths, English and sciences and you're good.

Original post by Helenia
Should be fine. As long as you have Maths, English and the sciences, they're not really fussed about what else you take.

I'd even say you don't need Physics.
Original post by heatherleonie
I have just chosen my subjects for standard grade in scotland. I will be doing maths, english, french, art, physics, chemistry, biology and modern studies but I was just wondering if these subjects are ok if I want to do medicine at uni?

You're fine. I took exactly the same as you but swapped modern studies for philosophy :smile:
Original post by spacepirate-James
You're fine. I took exactly the same as you but swapped modern studies for philosophy :smile:

How to spot when someone went to a middle-class school:

They offered philosophy at Standard Grade.
:tongue:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
How to spot when someone went to a middle-class school:

They offered philosophy at Standard Grade.
:tongue:

:ninja:

Tough call between that or Latin. Now excuse me whilst I go play golf.
Reply 6
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I did roughly same subjects as you, OP. P.E instead of Art, and Computing instead of Physics - I'm currently sitting on an offer. Like Helenia says: Maths, English and sciences and you're good.

I'd even say you don't need Physics.

I don't know enough about Scottish qualifications to know if English med schools in particular would want evidence of some physics study - as most of our schools do a combined double science award or three separates. Should be easy to find out though.
Original post by Helenia
I don't know enough about Scottish qualifications to know if English med schools in particular would want evidence of some physics study - as most of our schools do a combined double science award or three separates. Should be easy to find out though.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets the "I really have no idea what it's like across the border..." feeling.

I'm not sure how it is at English med schools, but I know people who got offers from the 5 Scottish medical schools who haven't done any Physics; this year was my first year doing it and Edinburgh really don't care about what result I get for it come August.

Here's what the websites have to say:

Glasgow - Biology and Chemistry at Higher with one of Maths or Physics
Dundee - Chemistry with one other science at Higher, Biology required to Standard Grade
Edinburgh - Chemistry and two of Biology/Maths/Physics at Higher, SG English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry required if not done at Higher.
Aberdeen - Chemistry and two of Biology/Maths/Physics at Higher, 3 in English and Maths required, Biology and Physics recommended
St. Andrews - Chemistry and one of Biology/Maths/Physics at Higher, SG English required, SG Biology/Maths required if not done at Higher.
Reply 8
Thank you so much everyone this has been really helpful! Im living in australia at the moment and I have been doing the international baccalaureate system, Im moving to scotland soon so i don't really have much of a clue what subjects I need!
I think the easiest way is to take English, Maths, Chem, Physics, Biology, A humanity (Geog, History, RE) and a language. That makes up your eight and gives you a fantastic breadth of subjects to chose from at Higher :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending