Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What happened to the great sporting nation that is Australia?

Announcements Posted on
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Australia are often described as a 'great sporting nation'. What has happened to them at this olympics. They've only got 1 gold so far and on some research I've found they're being berated by their own media for their gold drought.

Are they just experiencing a dip in form or what is it? Really shocked they're not even in the top ten in the medals table :eek:

Go Team GB :woo:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember who it was who it was but I remember seeing an interview with one of the Aussie athletes on the BBC earlier this year or last year about how many of the youngsters are moving towards sports such as Aussie Rules football etc. Meaning the talent pools in sports which they were previously one of the dominating nations in is now much smaller. This Olympics may signal a new era for Australian sports, as they won't want a repeat of this year in Rio 2016 etc. However they still need to find the people who want to be successful in such sports who also have the talent.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm really happy that us poms are giving them a beating.

There is apparently a feeling over there that their Olympians are molly coddled.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scumbaggio)
    I'm really happy that us poms are giving them a beating.

There is apparently a feeling over there that their Olympians are molly coddled.
    I read an article that there is a debate about where all this money they pumped into sports training is going. There is talk of them pumping even more money into their olympics training now! Poor buggers!
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    In a way one of the posters above is right, kids are now trying harder then ever to get into Australian football and the rugby, so a slightly smaller pool of talent however its simply put we've under performed greatly and choked. James Magnussen said he was the fastest yet he didnt back that up he shriveled up when the spotlight was on him. Stephanie Rice our triple gold medalist was injured and will not be the same since that shoulder surgery so shes kinda let off but really i guess its just down to us greatly under performing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aussie rules football is one of the worst things I've ever seen.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    TBF, they've got 12 silvers. A tad unlucky I guess.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    I read an article that there is a debate about where all this money they pumped into sports training is going. There is talk of them pumping even more money into their olympics training now! Poor buggers!
    They did pump a lot of money to make a comeback at Beijing. Apparently they haven't doen the same for this year and thought the other nations would slack off too.

Either that or they've gone the Shane Warne path and become pet poodles to English women. :lol:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The USA suffers a similar problem to the Australians then. That is if what they say about rugby and aussie rules is correct. There are people who play in the NFL who could compete in the Olympics if they trained for it but choose NFL over it. I'd probably do the same.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by game of james)
    TBF, they've got 12 silvers. A tad unlucky I guess.
    Just like Russia. Russia is the bigger shock. You expect them.in the top 5, no.3 not unusual.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Aussies are a bit bereft of talent at the moment in a lot of sports but we should enjoy this lull while it lasts because the Aussies will be back before long. Sport is at the heart of their culture and they have superb facilities to develop athletes.

They do have some phenomenal rugby players but most of their top ones play league rather than union so they aren't as well known internationally. But there are some incredible athletes in their NRL competition, it must be one of the toughest domestic sporting leagues in the world.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnharris19944)
    in a way one of the posters above is right, kids are now trying harder then ever to get into australian football and the rugby, so a slightly smaller pool of talent however its simply put we've under performed greatly and choked. James magnussen said he was the fastest yet he didnt back that up he shriveled up when the spotlight was on him. Stephanie rice our triple gold medalist was injured and will not be the same since that shoulder surgery so shes kinda let off but really i guess its just down to us greatly under performing.
    hahahahahahah
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/9743526.stm

lol
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's probably down to many small reasons adding up. Coaches being lured overseas, competitors choking after being overhyped by the media, complacency, arrogance, other nations stepping up. There's also a fair amount of bad luck involved - many of those silvers were very close to gold.

It's been a bit of a nightmare games for them, but we shouldn't doubt that they'll be back with a point to prove in Glasgow in a couple of years.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehmonkey)
    I can't remember who it was who it was but I remember seeing an interview with one of the Aussie athletes on the BBC earlier this year or last year about how many of the youngsters are moving towards sports such as Aussie Rules football etc. Meaning the talent pools in sports which they were previously one of the dominating nations in is now much smaller. This Olympics may signal a new era for Australian sports, as they won't want a repeat of this year in Rio 2016 etc. However they still need to find the people who want to be successful in such sports who also have the talent.
    Sounds about right tbh. The South Africans focus on their rugby and cricket etc and so other sports are largely underfunded and under represented.

I think the Aussies will up their game at Rio.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    for too long they've vultured their medals from swimming, now other countries have improved and they're paying the price for their complacency

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 9, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.