The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Drugs- Your Experiences?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by n00
:eek: Not Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Nelson Mandela, Alan Turing......?

Grrr that's not fair lol. x)

Okay, point taken, breaking the law can be beneficial SOMETIMES. :rolleyes:

But all those people broke the law for correct purposes, ultimately achieving something for humankind. I just think smoking cannabis/taking drugs in general is rather selfish and not quite as beneficial as advancing civil rights/standing up for a good cause etc...
Reply 181
Original post by WhatsHisFace
You're probably the same kind of person who's against homosexuality because it says so in the bible, aren't you?
It sickens me how easily people can brainwash themselves.

I'm an atheist thanks.

I'm not 'brainwashed'. I have no problem with people's sexuality/race/gender/religion etc.

I just don't appreciate living next to grimy drug-takers. If you were in my position of being woken up by your neighbors, high on drugs, arguing at 4 - 5am every morning, you'd feel the same.

Do you honestly think illegal drugs serve a valuable purpose in society? And I'm the brainwashed one? :s-smilie: I assume you enjoy drugs? If so, I think your habit has gone to your head.
Reply 182
And trust me, us 'criminals' don't respect you irrational authoritarian folk either.

I really don't need or ask for a drug-taker's seal of approval.
:smile:
Reply 183
Original post by LaurenPhilippa
I just don't appreciate living next to grimy drug-takers. If you were in my position of being woken up by your neighbors, high on drugs, arguing at 4 - 5am every morning, you'd feel the same.

If that's your reasoning, is it fair that, hypothetically, someone lives next to 'grimy' alcoholics that argue 4-5am every morning? Except, alcohol is legal, right...?

Some illegal drugs aren't nearly as bad as alcohol taken in moderate amounts. And, generally, personal anectodal evidence might not be the best way to base an opinion on a topic like this.
You just hit the nail on the head.

Drinking wine and smoking cigarettes is legal, albeit unhealthy. Cannabis isn't legal.
Contempt is a strong word, but I have no respect for anyone that chooses to break the law.

There are far, far better ways to unwind than to be a stoner. Watch a film, listen to music, hell, drink wine or smoke tobacco if you like.

I pity people that need drugs to unwind. :erm:

Ever copied a CD from a mate? Recorded something off telly?
I'm an atheist thanks.

I'm not 'brainwashed'. I have no problem with people's sexuality/race/gender/religion etc.

Do you honestly think illegal drugs serve a valuable purpose in society? And I'm the brainwashed one? :s-smilie: I assume you enjoy drugs? If so, I think your habit has gone to your head.

You literally said don't do it because it's illegal. Taking no regard to the health effects of any specific illegal drugs in contrast to legal ones (which kill more people than all illicit ones combined and then some).

Some don't have a legitimate value to the overall society, some do. But while we're deciding what things should be illegal based on it's usefulness, may as well make skydiving, race car driving, boxing/MMA, all that stuff illegal, as they all cause many deaths for no value to society, right?

As for your neighbors, that's all fine and dandy, but I'm sure they'd be the same way sober. Drugs don't make bad people out of good people. It's bad people who turn to drugs to relieve their pains. This concept seems like a no- brainer, yet no pro- criminalization person seems to grasp this.

People will be irresponsible, whether or not somethings illegal. By making a specific thing illegal, you're essentially condemning many perfectly happy, productive individuals to being exposed to the black market, something that could be easily avoided if they were legal.

Please, educate yourself before posting here.
Reply 186
Original post by Kibalchich
Ever copied a CD from a mate? Recorded something off telly?

CD thing: nope. Borrowed, not copied. I can honestly say I pay for music on Itunes. Admittedly, I sometimes use discount codes, nothing illegal though.

TV: Yes, I have. That's not illegal. It's only illegal if you sell it on.

I want to be a lawyer, I don't participate in illegal activity, simply because if I got a criminal record, I wouldn't be able to work as one. :K:
CD thing: nope. Borrowed, not copied. I can honestly say I pay for music on Itunes. Admittedly, I sometimes use discount codes, nothing illegal though.

TV: Yes, I have. That's not illegal. It's only illegal if you sell it on.

I want to be a lawyer, I don't participate in illegal activity, simply because if I got a criminal record, I wouldn't be able to work as one. :K:

fairynuff then, although I find it very hard to believe you've never done anything illegal! Underage drinking? Nicking sweets when a kid?
Original post by Dolly786
Why should the NHS waste their money on saving people like u.
Your signing a death warrant when u take drugs, is that why people take them? It's a temp fix, wouldn't it be better if u lot jumped under a train. ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Typical sheep who knows nothing about drugs and their effects. Your ignorance is not needed here.
(edited 11 years ago)
You just hit the nail on the head.

Drinking wine and smoking cigarettes is legal, albeit unhealthy. Cannabis isn't legal.
Contempt is a strong word, but I have no respect for anyone that chooses to break the law.

There are far, far better ways to unwind than to be a stoner. Watch a film, listen to music, hell, drink wine or smoke tobacco if you like.

I pity people that need drugs to unwind. :erm:

So it's not drugs themselves it's because they are illegal? That's a fairly weak argument against the use of drugs, legality has nothing to do with the risks associated with each individual substance; it's common knowledge that alcohol has one of the highest risk associated with use. Cannabis hasn't had a single reported death and people having been using it for thousands of years; peanuts are more dangerous than cannabis. Most people have broken the law at some point, whether it be speeding or weeing behind a bush, the law isn't a moral guideline on which to base your life.

"There are far, far better ways to unwind than to be a stoner. Watch a film, listen to music, hell, drink wine or smoke tobacco if you like."

That sentence right there proves your ignorance on the issue. Both alcohol and tobacco are drugs themselves the only difference is that a few men have decided to criminalise one set of drug users over the others. Plus having a joint now and again doesn't make you a stoner any more than have a glass of wine a few times a week makes you an alcoholic.
Reply 190
Original post by Xotol
If that's your reasoning, is it fair that, hypothetically, someone lives next to 'grimy' alcoholics that argue 4-5am every morning? Except, alcohol is legal, right...?

Some illegal drugs aren't nearly as bad as alcohol taken in moderate amounts. And, generally, personal anectodal evidence might not be the best way to base an opinion on a topic like this.

It's not fair, at all, no.
I was just merely explaining that, for me, drug use has indirectly caused a lot of sleepless nights.

To an extent, I agree. My strong opinions come from my own personal experience.

However, I think illegal drugs can be just as damaging to rich, successful people. For example, the recent story of Eva Rausing.

There is also quite a lot of evidence for the long-term effects of drug use.

This forum is a place for personal opinion. I've just provided mine. :rolleyes:
It's not fair, at all, no.
I was just merely explaining that, for me, drug use has indirectly caused a lot of sleepless nights.

To an extent, I agree. My strong opinions come from my own personal experience.

However, I think illegal drugs can be just as damaging to rich, successful people. For example, the recent story of Eva Rausing.

There is also quite a lot of evidence for the long-term effects of drug use.

This forum is a place for personal opinion. I've just provided mine. :rolleyes:

Keep on scapegoating.
Reply 192
I don't do drugs but I don't necessarily judge those who do... everything in moderation and all that (of course I'm not talking about hardcore addicts or those that hurt other people because of their habit). However, when I was about 16 a couple of my friends took coke in front of me and it really shook me up at the time. It's not nice to see, looks completely unnatural in my opinion and put me off for life to be honest.
Reply 193
Original post by EonBlueApocalypse
the law isn't a moral guideline on which to base your life.

"There are far, far better ways to unwind than to be a stoner. Watch a film, listen to music, hell, drink wine or smoke tobacco if you like."

having a joint now and again doesn't make you a stoner any more than have a glass of wine a few times a week makes you an alcoholic.

I partly agree, the law isn't always the best guide to life. However, most laws are genuinely based on common sense, so I'd say "use common sense". I (personally) don't think it's sensible to use drugs, nor do I think it's sensible to get paralytic with drink/smoke 40 fags a day.
I see what you mean - just because something is legal doesn't make it the right thing to do and vice versa.

I think drink and drug use are pretty much on the same page - there are charities and organisations that aim to combat addictions to both.

I'd have thought cannabis consumption was more dangerous than wine consumption, overall. :confused:

I was always under the impression that your body becomes acclimatized to the effects of, say, cannabis, then you have to move onto harder stuff/smoke more of it to get an equal effect.

I was always under the impression that your body becomes acclimatized to the effects of, say, cannabis, then you have to move onto harder stuff/smoke more of it to get an equal effect.

Right there. You clearly have zero idea what you're talking about. :bird:
Reply 195
Right there. You clearly have zero idea what you're talking about. :bird:

Clearly. :smile:

Drugs damage lives.
Yeah, okay, some people may be able to control their use of them, but equally many can't.
I see you come from Canada, so I can't compare. I live in England and tbh, all the evidence of drugs I've seen is that they're utterly ridiculous and destructive.
Some of my friends brag about taking them and their "experiences", but then others laugh at them for being utterly childish and looking really quite foolish.

They're illegal for the greater good. :h:
I partly agree, the law isn't always the best guide to life. However, most laws are genuinely based on common sense, so I'd say "use common sense". I (personally) don't think it's sensible to use drugs, nor do I think it's sensible to get paralytic with drink/smoke 40 fags a day.
I see what you mean - just because something is legal doesn't make it the right thing to do and vice versa.

I think drink and drug use are pretty much on the same page - there are charities and organisations that aim to combat addictions to both.

I'd have thought cannabis consumption was more dangerous than wine consumption, overall. :confused:

Many laws are based on common sense, however, the government has no place in telling people what they can and cannot put into their own bodies. Illicit drugs don't need to be banned for people to realise that they can be abused. Eating too much will make you fat, the government can't ban food or fast food but most people come to the sensible conclusion that eating too much makes you fat without a law in place.

Yes, drugs and drink (same thing) can be abused and people can get addicted. They represent a minority of drug users who have taken a recreational activity to far, much like people can become addicted to gambling or even sex. Shall we ban gambling and condemn the majority who engage with it in a sensible way?

It's a total misconception fabricated by the governments of the world. Alcohol is more dangerous drug than cannabis, that is a fact. Not an opinion, it's a fact. Like I said, cannabis has had 0 recorded deaths and is estimated to have been in use since 5 BC. 2.5 million people (WHO) die from alcohol or alcohol related diseases per year. Figures speak for themselves.

You're are correct in saying that you do become more tolerant to the effects of cannabis the more you use it, just as you do with alcohol and cigarettes. I've been using cannabis on occasion for nearly five years now and I still get high fairly quickly. The gateway argument is again a total fabrication and this position is backed by research, here's an extract from an article which cites one particular study:

"The point here isn’t just that marijuana isn’t actually a "gateway drug," but that there really is no such thing as a gateway drug to begin with. The term was invented by hysterical anti-drug zealots for the specific purpose of linking marijuana with harmful outcomes that couldn’t otherwise be established."

http://stopthedrugwar.org/speakeasy/2009/may/28/research_proves_marijuana_not_ga

A greater tolerance does lead to a slight increase in consumption of that particular drug in this case cannabis, but in know way does it lead to harder drugs. The effects of cannabis and other drugs are complete different experiences the high is completely different to say cocaine. It's like saying riding a bike can lead to you becoming interested in football.

I must say that I expected you to be a much harder nut to crack and perhaps quite cognitive dissonant, however, I get the vibe that you are opening your mind a bit, shifting your position and accepting the evidence and anecdotal experience on offer and for that I commend you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by IndyAM
You should respect somebody because they are a person, not because they take drugs.

I have not mentioned respect once.

I don't respect anybody who takes drugs.

Why is my standpoint so bothersome?
Reply 198

You should really learn about drugs before you make judgments on them. If you thought cannabis was more dangerous than wine, you clearly don't know much about drugs. Your anecdotal evidence for saying drugs are bad are really why you have a bias opinion, if you knew the facts then maybe you wouldn't think so badly of them.

Also drugs do different things, the same way caffeine and alcohol are completely different. People won't go from cannabis to cocaine because they have a tolerance for cannabis. They would just take a break for a couple of weeks.

edit: http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/2/4/e000774.full

A study using 292 experts.

"Conclusions The harm rankings of 19 commonly used substances did not match the A, B, C classification under the Misuse of Drugs Act. The legality of a substance of misuse is not correlated with its perceived harm. These results could inform any legal review of drug misuse and help shape public health policy and practice."
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by namithailoveyou
I don't respect anybody who takes drugs.

Why is my standpoint so bothersome?

Uh, because it's disrespectful?

Latest