The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Drugs- Your Experiences?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by EonBlueApocalypse

I must say that I expected you to be a much harder nut to crack and perhaps quite cognitive dissonant, however, I get the vibe that you are opening your mind a bit, shifting your position and accepting the evidence and anecdotal experience on offer and for that I commend you.

Yeah, I'm actually pretty open-minded aha. Just not so much when I've had sleepless nights. :tongue:

But yeah, I get what you mean. Hell, I once knew an old lady who drank (this is no joke) "cannabis tea" because she found it medicinal for her arthritis. :s-smilie:

Hmmmm....never thought I'd say this, but I guess it's down to personal choice. I think the thing that scares me most is how dangerous it can be, but as long as people are aware of the dangers of it and know they can get help...fair enough. :eek:

:smile:
Original post by LaurenPhilippa
Clearly. :smile:

Drugs damage lives.
Yeah, okay, some people may be able to control their use of them, but equally many can't.
I see you come from Canada, so I can't compare. I live in England and tbh, all the evidence of drugs I've seen is that they're utterly ridiculous and destructive.
Some of my friends brag about taking them and their "experiences", but then others laugh at them for being utterly childish and looking really quite foolish.

They're illegal for the greater good. :h:

So... you have no experience with them, don't know a thing about them (no, seeing some idiot jumping around on something doesn't count), yet push the laws because you think the "evidence is on your side"? Do I even need to point out your ignorance here? You'd think that being an athiest, you'd be able to apply a gram of rational thought into this.

EDIT: Let's try to put this thread back into track. Has anyone had any experience with DMT before? Especially interested if you also have had a near- death experiences haha.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Captain Haddock
Uh, because it's disrespectful?

I don't think people who take drugs warrant respect lol...
Original post by namithailoveyou

Why not?

You're rehashing b.s. Please at least skim over the thread first...
Reply 205
Original post by WhatsHisFace
So... you have no experience with them, don't know a thing about them (no, seeing some idiot jumping around on something doesn't count), yet push the laws because you think the "evidence is on your side"? Do I even need to point out your ignorance here? You'd think that being an athiest, you'd be able to apply a gram of rational thought into this.

I don't have, and don't want, experience on drugs.
I know enough to substantiate my own personal beliefs. May not be enough for some people but it is for me.
Yeah, I do fully support the law. I want to be a lawyer so it kinda comes with the territory.
In the UK, there's what I call a "legal get-out clause" called 'diminished responsibility', whereby a criminal, if it's proved they were under the influence of drugs, can be found not guilty of a crime, including crimes involving violence or theft. :confused: I (again, personally), find that really difficult to get my head round.

My uncle is a prison officer, around 60% of the inmates in there are "drug or alcohol dependent". He has previously searched visitors and found drugs hidden in children's diapers/clothing. That genuinely makes me sad.

I think it was you (?) but someone mentioned "exposure to the black market" earlier - that's the problem. People are exploited at times to bring drugs to the UK, then there's the problem with pimps etc etc.

I think legalizing it would encourage more people to develop hard drug habits, but on the plus side, it would probably encourage people to be more honest and ask for help. That's the most rational I can be. :K:
You cannot be resolved of legal responsibility if under the influence at the time. Diminished responsibility is about people with mental health problems or learning disabilities.
Reply 207
Original post by Kibalchich
You cannot be resolved of legal responsibility if under the influence at the time. Diminished responsibility is about people with mental health problems or learning disabilities.

You may be right there, this is what I was thinking of; "As for punishment, intoxication (alcohol or drugs) may be a mitigating factor that decreases a prison or jail sentence."

Yeah, I do fully support the law. I want to be a lawyer so it kinda comes with the territory.
In the UK, there's what I call a "legal get-out clause" called 'diminished responsibility', whereby a criminal, if it's proved they were under the influence of drugs, can be found not guilty of a crime, including crimes involving violence or theft. :confused: I (again, personally), find that really difficult to get my head round.

Nobody here said that they agreed with that law. Whatever people do on drugs is their fault, that doesn't mean they should be illegal.

I think it was you (?) but someone mentioned "exposure to the black market" earlier - that's the problem. People are exploited at times to bring drugs to the UK, then there's the problem with pimps etc etc.

I think legalizing it would encourage more people to develop hard drug habits, but on the plus side, it would probably encourage people to be more honest and ask for help. That's the most rational I can be. :K:

Exactly. Remove drugs from the black market, and people wouldn't have to deal with the black market. I thought this was simple stuff.

And your second point has absolutely no basis: in fact places with more lenient laws show decreases in hard drug use. I think you summed up this entire waste of time that you've been insisting on us in this thread nicely here:

May not be enough for some people but it is for me.

Well good for you. If you don't have any facts it's your opinion. You already said it, so why are you here?
Why not?

I just think they're losers for taking drugs.
Reply 210
I've only done weed. and it was fine everytime.

But then one day I smoked what they call a virgin joint. basically strong weed without tobacco and that ****ed me up that night and I went seriously paranoid, but I'm sure there was something else in the weed because the reaction was extremely strong and lasted for a long time, feelings of past/future etc and it took me a while to feel normal again and resume a normal state of thinking to be honest, so I'm not sure what was in that joint, but it was smething prety strong, I went roaming around the city on my own like 100mph and paranoid as hell.

Since that day, never again.

Alcohol always makes me happy and have a good night, no matter how much I drink, so I'll just stick to that. Although I have nothing agaisnt my mates if they want to take psychedelic drugs, I would too, but it's just that night scared me away from drugs, I think my mind is too introverted/sensitive to be doing drugs. Haha.
I just think they're losers for taking drugs.

Why?
You're rehashing b.s. Please at least skim over the thread first...

Citing an honest opinion is BS?
You may be right there, this is what I was thinking of; "As for punishment, intoxication (alcohol or drugs) may be a mitigating factor that decreases a prison or jail sentence."

It may decrease a jail sentence, as a community order could be made, such as a drug rehabilitation requirement on a probation order. This does not absolve legal responsibility.
Citing an honest opinion is BS?

Yes, because it's been retorted left and right in this thread.
Why?

because people who take them are willfully abusing their bodies.

And most only take them to "look cool" or be "with it" or whatever the pop culture media tell them is good.

EDIT: Let's try to put this thread back into track. Has anyone had any experience with DMT before? Especially interested if you also have had a near- death experiences haha.

Yeah, but I didn't smoke enough. I'd compare it to a really short but visually intense acid trip, except I couldn't really feel my body or move.
Yes, because it's been retorted left and right in this thread.

Maybe the issue is with you then.

Don't be so phased by what people assert.
Reply 218
I don't respect anybody who takes drugs.

Do you not respect people who drink either?

Also if you don't like drug takers you might want to throw away all your CDs and DVDs considering cocaine is what powers the music and film industry.
Reply 219
Well good for you. If you don't have any facts it's your opinion. You already said it, so why are you here?

Aha, what exactly do you see as beneficial about drug-use?

1. It creates long-term health problems, whether taken in moderation or not. It increases the risks of developing many physical/mental illnesses. Yes, I know food/alcohol does, but yano...2 wrongs don't make a right?
2. People do stupid stuff when on it, become paranoid and the like.
3. It motivates people to do stupid stuff to get it - causing people to steal to fund it. It can lead to debt. Drugs > Debt > Break-ups of family, even homelessness.
4. Celebrities on drugs provide, quite frankly, terrible role models to children.
5. It makes you look an idiot, people have no respect for drug-takers, apart from fellow drug-users.
6. It doesn't improve your life. It doesn't make your problems go away, at least not for longer than the "high" lasts.
7. The people who make money from it do not benefit the economy, they take cash in hand, thus are tax-dodgers.
8. But hey, does wonders for your appearances; http://www.co.benton.ar.us/Media/Image/ProAtt/Meth01.jpg

Hmm...sexy or what? :wink:

You'll come back and say "I enjoy it, it's a laugh", well whoopee do....but I and many others certainly don't. :|

Many drug-takers don't work - they use dole money to fund it. I despise the fact my taxes fund their habit/hospital treatment/dental treatment for manky teeth. Why should self-respecting citizens pay the price of anti-social behavior?