The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Drugs- Your Experiences?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LaurenPhilippa
Hallelujah! Someone with common sense! :clap2:

It's common sense to abhor things that by your own admission you know nothing about? You are entitled to your opinion but it is not common sense in any way, shape or form.
Original post by Mister Dead
I like to drink until i'm really drunk with my friends sometimes. I saw some friends from different parts of the country and a few from the US all together for the first time in ages the other day. We had a great evening and then all got really drunk and played music and sat in the garden and had a lovely old time.

Why am I a dick now?

I don't see the point of binge drinking.

Do you care what people think of your hobbies? Aren't you a confident individual?
Original post by WhatsHisFace
Have you read the title? You don't think anyone else who has been posting here would take offense?

"People who rock climb risk their lives and don't deserve any respect. But you know that's my opinion and all, don't hate."

I need to get out of this ****fest of a thread before I get a brain hemorrhage.

Personally, I couldn't give a **** about rock climbers. I simply dislike people who take drugs. Is there a reason I should respect them?
Yeah, I'm actually pretty open-minded aha. Just not so much when I've had sleepless nights. :tongue:

But yeah, I get what you mean. Hell, I once knew an old lady who drank (this is no joke) "cannabis tea" because she found it medicinal for her arthritis. :s-smilie:

Hmmmm....never thought I'd say this, but I guess it's down to personal choice. I think the thing that scares me most is how dangerous it can be, but as long as people are aware of the dangers of it and know they can get help...fair enough. :eek:

:smile:

It's not surprising, cannabis is an excellent pain reliever without the nasty side effects of synthetic pain killers, I myself had chronic neck pain a few days ago which was completely removed after using a small amount of cannabis

Yes that's the key point; personal choice. If that's taken away what are we left with? It's a natural reaction to something you've not experienced and which you expect to be negative, the only thing is education of the effects drugs have on the body and the dangers of abuse so that people can make informed decisions.

I hope you come to understand that drug users aren't as bad as you thought, the stereotypes you have in your mind are indeed a minority. I myself have experimented with many drugs and not addicted to any substance or dependant on any at all. I have normal friends, on track for a 1st at a top ten University, live in a nice home with a nice family, work out regularly; I am a normal person not a "druggie". Considering your first post I think we've made some good progress :smile:
Reply 244
There were allegations she was on drugs, I wasn't aware they'd been proven...? :confused:

I meant her as the best example of someone who's drug-induced personality made them a role model. She went from being quite introverted and vocal about disliking charity work to running round kissing AIDS victims. Drugs are what kickstarted the whole hippy movement of the 60s and got people into social issues, they aren't called empathogens for nothing. Obviously that doesn't make them good as Diana proved - she was paranoid as hell in private, throwing herself down the stairs when pregnant for attention etc.
Reply 245
I'm eager to try new drugs and if anyone comes to me saying they want to try I'm more than happy to teach them.

However I think the most important thing about drugs is that people need to be fully educated before so much as taking their first toke on a spliff really. Ask themselves if they really are ready to be in an altered state of mind where they aren't in complete control and whether they are ready or comfortable with taking something (wrongly) illegal.

I've always had "okay" times on weed, though I don't really like the chilled out feeling it leaves me in. I prefer stimulants and feeling buzzed, however a little too much when it came to coke. I feel like I was close to an addiction, spending way too much in too short a time, literally only being able to enjoy a night in a club when I was on it. I try to put people off taking cocaine, but if they do think they want to try it I'll just make sure they have properly researched and listen to my experiences before considering it.

While I had a bad time with it, other people may not. I'm a human being, I don't think any other human regardless of laws has the right to decide what another person does with their own body. When you actually sit down and think about it, how retarded that thought alone? Take away job titles, some other guy is saying you can't eat this because he doesn't agree with it.

MDMA is just the pure bliss of drugs. I've never heard of people having a bad trip (obviously I'm not oblivious to it, it can happen) and I heavily researched it before I took it. I'm in love with it. It isn't addictive, the comedown is weird but nothing too bad and you can't take too much or you build up tolerance too quickly. It is a once a month drug and due to it's effects, I'm happy for it to stay that way.

I want to try with LSD but it's just getting a hold of it and I don't think I've fully researched it completely yet. If someone offered it to me right now I'd probably say no, I'm not that type of guy. I like to know what's going to/could happen, the comedown, the side effects, how long it stays in my system etc. before I feel comfortable taking it. I want other people who take RD's to do the same and that way prevent addiction and making a tit of themselves.

Overally, mostly pleasant. MDMA ftw.
Reply 246
Smoked weed on a fair few occasions. Can't say I was that impressed tbh. I hated the act of smoking, awful. The results were ok for a bit, but as everyone started using it more and more it just got so boring. People would smoke, talk for a bit go find something to eat then go to sleep... That was it - nothing I can't do without the stuff, and people wouldn't end up going to sleep so easily!

I spent a lot of time around people who took harder drugs. LSD seemed ok from an observers point of view. MDMA didn't look that fun tbh... I can't remember which ones were which beyond that lol. When that group started to move onto serious stuff I went to find some other friends.

From what I can see, the people who took drugs a bit now and then for fun are doing fine. There are a few that fell into the thing headfirst though and I wouldn't even go near them nowadays - really messed up their lives.

I'm not saying this is the fault of the drugs mind, chances are they were the kind of people that would end up like that anyway, might be that thats why they started doing hard drugs. I don't think its worth taking the chance though, I've enough problems eating too much food and getting fat without drugs entering into the equation lol.

With the alcohol argument, well tbh I think the world would be a better place if alcohol was illegal or something lol. I recon a large proportion of this countries problems are as a result of the stuff.
Reply 247
Original post by EonBlueApocalypse
It's not surprising, cannabis is an excellent pain reliever without the nasty side effects of synthetic pain killers, I myself had chronic neck pain a few days ago which was completely removed after using a small amount of cannabis

Yes that's the key point; personal choice. If that's taken away what are we left with? It's a natural reaction to something you've not experienced and which you expect to be negative, the only thing is education of the effects drugs have on the body and the dangers of abuse so that people can make informed decisions.

I hope you come to understand that drug users aren't as bad as you thought, the stereotypes you have in your mind are indeed a minority. I myself have experimented with many drugs and not addicted to any substance or dependant on any at all. I have normal friends, on track for a 1st at a top ten University, live in a nice home with a nice family, work out regularly; I am a normal person not a "druggie". Considering your first post I think we've made some good progress :smile:

Aye, that's fair enough.

I guess there's a spectrum, from mile to extreme usage. I admit I think of most as "extreme", probably unfairly. I have friends who do it who are off to uni and stuff.

I think in this thread I'll have to agree to disagree sorta thing. :rolleyes:
Point taken. :smile:
Excellent, intelligent response! :gasp:

Exactly what I'd expect from someone who supports the legalization of drugs. :biggrin:

Here's the thing, Lauren. It's really difficult for people who know about drugs and have experience with them to have an intelligent discussion with somebody who is more than a little bit misinformed and doesn't show much willingness to learn. It's impossible to have a balanced, reasoned debate on the issue when the person you're talking to has started with the conclusion that all drugs will destroy your body, all users are layabout wasters and all dealers are violent scumbags, and, worst of all, believes you deserve to rot in jail. I mean seriously, I'm just an average 23 year old graduate. Why should I to go to jail? You think drugs ruin lives; they haven't ruined mine whatsoever. But do you know what would? Going to ****ing jail.
I've not had that much contact, by which I mean I've never gone out of my way to try a certain drug, but given my lifestyle and everything else I've been exposed and taken some of the more common ones.

I smoked weed regularly in uni and it's been a good experince. No drastic results other than feeling good and then promptly falling asleep. Some of my experiance with weed has been really intense, others have been a dud, but nothing negative has ever come of it. But I suppose one of the issues is that they can be so unpredicatable.

I've had E in nightclubs, but rarely, and it was kind of a 'big night out' sort of thing when I was young. It's fun and all but often I've found I've had 20 mins of brilliance for 12 hours of feeling like crap.

Not a massive fan of coke. Makes me feel so queasy that I barely regester any other feeling through the queasyness.

Magic mushrooms are quite good, it's sort of like a giggly swirly drunkeness for me and I've never felt much of a comedown from it.

I don't often smoke weed now, but whenever I do I certainly enjoy it. I'd like to try some more trippy ones though, definetly want to give lsd a go.

I can see why people can end up on things like heroin though. I know it's a massive cliché and more than a bit tacky to bring up Trainspotting in this debate, but the bit where Mark says nothing really matters when you have a 'sincere and loving drug habit' sort of gets it, it's like being more aware and dumbed at the same time.

In terms of bad experiances, the worst I've ever had is alcohol. I find with drugs I never really go overboard, whereas once you've got the ball rolling, you can do bad things to yourself with alcohol. I've had the most agonizing hangovers, which are kind of typical, but then I've also found myself on the brink of alchol poisoning and/or finding myself in a really vulnerable position. Perhaps it's because alchol is by far my most used drug that I'm bound to have more bad experiance, but I've found that so many more people are clued up about drugs than alcohol.

Exactly what I'd expect from someone who supports the legalization of drugs. :biggrin:

I think 'lol' is a perfectly sufficient acknowledgement to your woefully blockheaded and lethargic post. No point in even trying to begin a semi-acute debate with you as you are clearly helplessly feeble-minded.

Lauren, 18, Leeds.
Current idiot, future simpleton and general moron.

Why do you (or anyone) think you have the right to tell me what I can or cannot put in my body?
Original post by Palatial Veranda
I think 'lol' is a perfectly sufficient acknowledgement to your woefully blockheaded and lethargic post. No point in even trying to begin a semi-acute debate with you as you are clearly helplessly feeble-minded.

Lauren, 18, Leeds.

I concur wholeheartedly.
Reply 253
Original post by namithailoveyou
Personally, I couldn't give a **** about rock climbers. I simply dislike people who take drugs. Is there a reason I should respect them?

So you dislike anyone that drinks alcohol or caffeine?
Original post by stac4321
I've not had that much contact, by which I mean I've never gone out of my way to try a certain drug, but given my lifestyle and everything else I've been exposed and taken some of the more common ones.

I smoked weed regularly in uni and it's been a good experince. No drastic results other than feeling good and then promptly falling asleep. Some of my experiance with weed has been really intense, others have been a dud, but nothing negative has ever come of it. But I suppose one of the issues is that they can be so unpredicatable.

I've had E in nightclubs, but rarely, and it was kind of a 'big night out' sort of thing when I was young. It's fun and all but often I've found I've had 20 mins of brilliance for 12 hours of feeling like crap.

Not a massive fan of coke. Makes me feel so queasy that I barely regester any other feeling through the queasyness.

Magic mushrooms are quite good, it's sort of like a giggly swirly drunkeness for me and I've never felt much of a comedown from it.

I don't often smoke weed now, but whenever I do I certainly enjoy it. I'd like to try some more trippy ones though, definetly want to give lsd a go.

I can see why people can end up on things like heroin though. I know it's a massive cliché and more than a bit tacky to bring up Trainspotting in this debate, but the bit where Mark says nothing really matters when you have a 'sincere and loving drug habit' sort of gets it, it's like being more aware and dumbed at the same time.

In terms of bad experiances, the worst I've ever had is alcohol. I find with drugs I never really go overboard, whereas once you've got the ball rolling, you can do bad things to yourself with alcohol. I've had the most agonizing hangovers, which are kind of typical, but then I've also found myself on the brink of alchol poisoning and/or finding myself in a really vulnerable position. Perhaps it's because alchol is by far my most used drug that I'm bound to have more bad experiance, but I've found that so many more people are clued up about drugs than alcohol.

Can magic mushroom trips be scary?
Reply 255
Original post by Captain Haddock
Here's the thing, Lauren. It's really difficult for people who know about drugs and have experience with them to have an intelligent discussion with somebody who is more than a little bit misinformed and doesn't show much willingness to learn. It's impossible to have a balanced, reasoned debate on the issue when the person you're talking to has started with the conclusion that all drugs will destroy your body, all users are layabout wasters and all dealers are violent scumbags, and, worst of all, believes you deserve to rot in jail. I mean seriously, I'm just an average 23 year old graduate. Why should I to go to jail? You think drugs ruin lives; they haven't ruined mine whatsoever. But do you know what would? Going to ****ing jail.

Aye, that's fair enough.

I guess there's a spectrum, from mile to extreme usage. I admit I think of most as "extreme", probably unfairly. I have friends who do it who are off to uni and stuff.

I think in this thread I'll have to agree to disagree sorta thing.
Point taken.
:smile:

^^^ this is what I said earlier.
I'm genuinely trying to see the other side, it's just difficult for me with my neighbors.
Doesn't help when people respond to my opinion with "lol". :s-smilie:

Good for you if you're a 23 year old graduate. (That's not sarcasm btw).
But personally I think people (including you, and my neighbors) deserve better than harming their bodies through drugs.
But like I said, personal choice! :smile:
Reply 256
Original post by Palatial Veranda

Lauren, 18, Leeds.

You know what, I gave my opinion.
You clearly lack such belief in yours that you can't even reply. Instead you became some keyboard warrior, "moron"?

What do you do for a living, if you don't mind me asking? Apart from smoke pot?

:') Absolute joker. :teehee:
You know what, I gave my opinion.
You clearly lack such belief in yours that you can't even reply. Instead you became some keyboard warrior, "moron"?

What do you do for a living, if you don't mind me asking? Apart from smoke pot?

:') Absolute joker. :teehee:

http://www.elc.co.uk/on/demandware.store/Sites-ELCENGB-Site/default/Home-Show
Original post by namithailoveyou
I don't see the point of binge drinking.

Do you care what people think of your hobbies? Aren't you a confident individual?

Not especially. I'm just inclined to think that people who call other people they don't know, that have done them no harm, dicks, are kind of, well, dickish? It fits most definitions of 'dick' much better than 'person who drinks until they are drunk' does

and so perhaps they should explain themselves.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Captain Haddock

Amen to that..

Latest

Trending

Trending