(Original post by emilie18)
Honestly, don't worry too much. Don't feel like you need to go out and buy a whole new wardobe, just buy the basics and update as you go throughout the year. Try not to shop much until you have your student card as you can save a LOT of money with that! Most high-street stores will give you 10% off, at this time of year there are often promotions as well which will offer you 20%.
Here is a list of real basics which is what I would recommend starting with...
- vest tops in a range of colours. £2,49 each at New Look, similarly priced at H&M. Burgundy, dark green, black, white, navy, etc.
- 2 or 3 simple tees. H&M have basic, well cut ones in many colours.
- a few "nice" tops, for instance long-sleeved blouses, patterned tops, embellished tops, etc. Anything that is in-trend or that you like as your personal style. Things that look nice thrown over skinnies and pumps.
- cardigans. 1 light, 1 chunky
- black tube skirt. These go with everything if you are really stuck for an outfit. Tights, loose tank tucked in, chunky cardi over the top, messy bun and cute pumps, easy.
- dark-wash skinnies
- mid-wash skinnies
- shorts / patterned skirt (wear with aforementioned vest / tank + cardi)
- pumps (e.g. New Look £7,99 for a pair of ballet flats which come in 6 or 7 colours)
- converse / cheap alternative
As you go throughout the year you'll develop your own style better and add in to these basics. Honestly, at the start of the year everyone dresses to impress but by the end the vast majority roll in in trackies and no make-up
Stick to stores like New Look, H&M, etc. They're cheap and have all the basics as well as current trends.