Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Olympics - Indian Subcontinent

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    #1 team isnt the same as #1 individual.

And they did. She got beaten. By a Brit.
    ouch, anyway i just found out her name is ki bo bae

"Ki is the world’s second-ranked female archer and was the top seed in the Olympics"
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a mixture of culture and resources they have. Was reading about the bangladeshi sprinter that ran in the olympics and he had three months of training before qualifying. India has the resources and they are coming up, they have increasingly been performing well...
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lack of funding. Example: Pakistani Hockey. The country has won 4 World cups and 8 medals in the Olympics in Hockey alone and yet corruption and poor governance has seen other countries speed ahead with Pakistan now lounging at around 6/7th best in the world. Same applies to most other Olympic sports- there simply isn't enough funding nor interest. However with India rising, you will definitely see an increase in medals from the subcontinent.

Look at China and how much they were winning 20 years from now compared to the present.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    As individuals, outside of Cricket - very little value is placed on sport. Even then, give some Indians the choice between their son being a successful accountant, or being a fairly good cricketer (say a county player with 5 international caps) - they would probably go for the accountant every time.

China is no different. 1 billion people, but were it not a crazy Police State, I have no doubt that they'd be no better than India in terms of sport. Look at Indonesia - nearly a billion people and crap at all sport.

It's all about the national mentality and the value they place on sporting excellence. New Zealand is the prime example. Their sporting achievement per capita across all sports probably outstrips everyone.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The sporting infrastructure within schools is not great. And in India, Cricket is all that people tend to care about.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://m.theatlantic.com/internation...medals/260693/

I think this might help
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it all boils down to a lack of funding. A prime example is India's boxing squad, only recently have they recieved small amounts of funding and even with that they are producing good quality boxers. Even still, the majority of the boxers come from the same camp in India, so with proper funding they can definetely produce top class athletes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontJudge)
    It has nothing to do with genetics.

They could be talented, they just don't prioritise sports/have the equipment etc like the UK/USA/China does.

Maybe you should make a Podcast about it?
    As an Indian i would like to get this straight. Like Dontjudge says it has nothing to do with genetics , talent is found everywhere. India is one of the most talented countries in the world ( if there is such a thing) if you don't believe me just watch talent shows and competitions such as India's got talent , the quality would stun you , the general public round there is like the finals of the Britain's got talent. Now the reason our subcontinent not doing well

Sports is not given a priority. Very less children grow up there with the mindset of becoming a sportsman , as they don't get paid well enough to take it up as a career. It is not much of a career option.
    Also it is a developing country the infrastructure cannot facilitate the whole population. We have bigger issues to deal with first.
    All that said , you can mark my words "we will improve" , once there is that spark of determination , more people will be able to showcase their talent and we will rise high on that medal table sooner or later. Hopefully
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd assume it was mostly due to lack of funding, lack of training facilities and lack of coaches. In other countries, talented young people get scouted out at local sports clubs and things and are then given the opportunities to go furthur- I'd imagine this doesn't happen really in these countries. Plus I think culturally, a lot of families would try and talk their children of going for a career in sport.
    • 83 followers

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it doesn't exactly help the nerdy Indian boy image lol. I guess because there's a lot more influence on education over there than here. Over there, if you don't have an education, you're on the streets. Here, you have a safety blanket so you're free to do more leisurely activities if you wish to do so
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    I suppose it doesn't exactly help the nerdy Indian boy image lol. I guess because there's a lot more influence on education over there than here. Over there, if you don't have an education, you're on the streets. Here, you have a safety blanket so you're free to do more leisurely activities if you wish to do so
    A safety blanket such as benefits :rolleyes:
    • 83 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Unique Bloke)
    A safety blanket such as benefits :rolleyes:
    Well, that is exactly what a safety net would be :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Atleast India has won 3 medals and has a decent team size. Were as Bangladesh only has 5 people to represent their whole nation, ridiculous.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    All the good runners have ran away from thier country whilst all the good swimmers have simply swimmed away. excuse my spelling and grammer. other sports people have simply obtained sports visa and then left. The remaining have died trying to escape the country.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illyas)
    All the good runners have ran away from thier country whilst all the good swimmers have simply swimmed away. excuse my spelling and grammer. other sports people have simply obtained sports visa and then left. The remaining have died trying to escape the country.
    ^
    I have died trying to escape from people like you
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkhead)
    They managed to get the first Indian Bronze medallist in Women's singles.
    Not really...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Look at Indonesia - nearly a billion people and crap at all sport.
    Population, Indonesia

www.google.co.uk/publicdata
    242,325,638 - 2011
    Source: World Bank

Indonesia are good at badminton.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunch_Box)
    Not really...
    What?
    Yes really...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkhead)
    What?
    Yes really...
    The Chinese player was forced to retire due to an unforeseen injury despite winning the first set and leading in the second/final set. The Indian player was reluctant to take the medal as a friendly gesture and the Chinese player was the one who received the applauses.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunch_Box)
    Population, Indonesia

www.google.co.uk/publicdata
    242,325,638 - 2011
    Source: World Bank

Indonesia are good at badminton.
    That's nearly a billion. If you round up.....a lot.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 13, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.