The Student Room Group

Mechanical engineering or not??

Hey guys, I am really thinking hard about wether it is worth it to choose mechanical engineering or not...
I know it will be a very hard degree and I will have to work my socks off at university, but if it is worth it i'll do it.

I mainly thought about mechanical engineering because I genuinely like physics not just as a subject, but I regularly watch documentaries on it and just like the science overall. But as for mechanical engineering I would like to apply physics to work with interesting things like engines and robots, but that's when the problem starts...

I generally know more about physics than I do about mechanical engineering, and for about a month I wasted a lot of time considering doing physics at uni, until I switched to mechanical engineering when I realized how dire the career prospects of a physicist are, while a career in mechanical engineering seems more fun, less unemployment and better in general.

But because I only recently discovered a passion for it im finding it hard to convey my interest in the subject in my personal statement.
The problem is that I have an interest in mechanical engineering, not a strong passion.
Is it right to still pursue mechanical engineering for a career?
So to anyone who has done mechnical engineering here are a few questions:

-What made it worth studying mechanical engineering for you?
-Do you ever regret choosing mechanical engineering over say something more easy money like accounting or finance
-Is it really about passion vs money, or is it a balance of both for you?
-Was mechanical engineering impossibly hard, or did you manage to study it and still have time for yourself?
-Does the career and hard study really pay off in the end?

Please help me, this is giving me such a headache, its your typical life changing decision scenario:confused::frown:
Thank you very much.
Original post by nsolma1
Hey guys, I am really thinking hard about wether it is worth it to choose mechanical engineering or not...
I know it will be a very hard degree and I will have to work my socks off at university, but if it is worth it i'll do it.

I mainly thought about mechanical engineering because I genuinely like physics not just as a subject, but I regularly watch documentaries on it and just like the science overall. But as for mechanical engineering I would like to apply physics to work with interesting things like engines and robots, but that's when the problem starts...

I generally know more about physics than I do about mechanical engineering, and for about a month I wasted a lot of time considering doing physics at uni, until I switched to mechanical engineering when I realized how dire the career prospects of a physicist are, while a career in mechanical engineering seems more fun, less unemployment and better in general.

But because I only recently discovered a passion for it im finding it hard to convey my interest in the subject in my personal statement.
The problem is that I have an interest in mechanical engineering, not a strong passion.
Is it right to still pursue mechanical engineering for a career?
So to anyone who has done mechnical engineering here are a few questions:

-What made it worth studying mechanical engineering for you?
-Do you ever regret choosing mechanical engineering over say something more easy money like accounting or finance
-Is it really about passion vs money, or is it a balance of both for you?
-Was mechanical engineering impossibly hard, or did you manage to study it and still have time for yourself?
-Does the career and hard study really pay off in the end?

Please help me, this is giving me such a headache, its your typical life changing decision scenario:confused::frown:
Thank you very much.

I do mechanical engineering and have completed up to the BEng level (staying on to do the MEng) so hopefully I can assist with your questions. I've also done two internships too.

Firstly, you don't have to have a strong passion initially for mechanical engineering. It's a broad subject and one which you will have had no exposure to unless you've gone out of your way to get it. I'd just like to emphasise how broad it is again; it encompasses everything from engines to robots to pipelines to nanotechnology to artificial limbs to sports science. I personally have no interest in things like engines and robots, for example.

I was originally set to do electrical and electronics engineering and it wasn't until I got to university I realised that I had a far better aptitude for mechanical than electrical.

I wouldn't say that most mechanical engineers I've worked with have had a "passion" for the subject, merely a strong interest and found it's their preferred way of making a living.

To answer your questions now...

1) Mechanical engineering is worth it for me because it opens up the type of career options I'm interested in. I don't think it's the type of subject you get a degree in because you have an interest in it - physics is more like that - but something you do for the career prospects.

2) No. In truth your average engineering graduate earns more than your average accounting graduate. An engineering graduate can go into accounting/finance/banking/whatever whereas the vice versa isn't true. Engineering is on the whole a well paid profession. I could never do accounting anyway...

3) As I say above, engineering can pay excellent money if you know where to look and are good. I was offered a very lucrative job with just a BEng (didn't take it though). At both the places I've worked at there have been engineers on over £800 per day as consultants/contractors. Maybe if you go into academia and R&D it's not well paid (but probably very interesting) but I don't think your average engineer has to make a decision between money and passion. Your average engineer is well paid by most people's definitions, and can be even better paid abroad.

4) I haven't found it impossibly hard yet. I haven't worked with anyone who has said their degree was so hard they had to abandon sexual activity or anything. Most I've spoken to remember their time at university as some of the best days of their life. If they were tied to their books they wouldn't be saying that.

5) Can't answer that yet.
Not a qualified one, but I'll be starting my degree in a couple of months :smile: When doing your statement, remember that engineering is quite difficult to convey passion for because you've (probably) never done it before - you're bound to know more about physics. What I did with mine was talk about how much I loved maths and physics and then emphasised that applying these things (via engineering) is what I want to do. I would say apply for mechanical engineering and try to get some work experience to see what it's really like. Anyway, it's not like the degree is lacking in physics and I would think it would be relatively easy to transfer to a physics degree if you wanted to.
Reply 3
Original post by PerArduaAdAstra
Not a qualified one, but I'll be starting my degree in a couple of months :smile: When doing your statement, remember that engineering is quite difficult to convey passion for because you've (probably) never done it before - you're bound to know more about physics. What I did with mine was talk about how much I loved maths and physics and then emphasised that applying these things (via engineering) is what I want to do. I would say apply for mechanical engineering and try to get some work experience to see what it's really like. Anyway, it's not like the degree is lacking in physics and I would think it would be relatively easy to transfer to a physics degree if you wanted to.

Where can i get work experience? In the engineering education scheme?
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
I do mechanical engineering and have completed up to the BEng level (staying on to do the MEng) so hopefully I can assist with your questions. I've also done two internships too.

Firstly, you don't have to have a strong passion initially for mechanical engineering. It's a broad subject and one which you will have had no exposure to unless you've gone out of your way to get it. I'd just like to emphasise how broad it is again; it encompasses everything from engines to robots to pipelines to nanotechnology to artificial limbs to sports science. I personally have no interest in things like engines and robots, for example.

I was originally set to do electrical and electronics engineering and it wasn't until I got to university I realised that I had a far better aptitude for mechanical than electrical.

I wouldn't say that most mechanical engineers I've worked with have had a "passion" for the subject, merely a strong interest and found it's their preferred way of making a living.

To answer your questions now...

1) Mechanical engineering is worth it for me because it opens up the type of career options I'm interested in. I don't think it's the type of subject you get a degree in because you have an interest in it - physics is more like that - but something you do for the career prospects.

2) No. In truth your average engineering graduate earns more than your average accounting graduate. An engineering graduate can go into accounting/finance/banking/whatever whereas the vice versa isn't true. Engineering is on the whole a well paid profession. I could never do accounting anyway...

3) As I say above, engineering can pay excellent money if you know where to look and are good. I was offered a very lucrative job with just a BEng (didn't take it though). At both the places I've worked at there have been engineers on over £800 per day as consultants/contractors. Maybe if you go into academia and R&D it's not well paid (but probably very interesting) but I don't think your average engineer has to make a decision between money and passion. Your average engineer is well paid by most people's definitions, and can be even better paid abroad.

4) I haven't found it impossibly hard yet. I haven't worked with anyone who has said their degree was so hard they had to abandon sexual activity or anything. Most I've spoken to remember their time at university as some of the best days of their life. If they were tied to their books they wouldn't be saying that.

5) Can't answer that yet.

A very good reply man, it really calmed my nerves down and helped me a lot.
Good luck with your studies man
Original post by nsolma1
Where can i get work experience? In the engineering education scheme?

Sounds like a great place to start! I can personally recommend it - It builds a lot of good skills and universities respect it. Also look into the Arkwright Scholarship and any other similar schemes.

In terms of getting work experience, the best thing you can do is spend some time perfecting your CV and any covering letter. Make sure they are as good as possible and then just approach some companies, inquiring about the possibility of work experience with them.

All the best.
Reply 6
Original post by PerArduaAdAstra
Sounds like a great place to start! I can personally recommend it - It builds a lot of good skills and universities respect it. Also look into the Arkwright Scholarship and any other similar schemes.

In terms of getting work experience, the best thing you can do is spend some time perfecting your CV and any covering letter. Make sure they are as good as possible and then just approach some companies, inquiring about the possibility of work experience with them.

All the best.

Good idea man, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending