Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Why Do Kids From Bad Backgrounds Fail in Life?

Announcements Posted on
    • 167 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilyobz)
    Having grown up in East London, my school was full of these so called "gangsters". All they did was cause trouble, fail academically and have under aged sex =/.

Recently a former student from my school has been sentenced to life for murder (gang rivalry-stabbing). At the age of 17....

It has made me wonder why and how people turn out like this?

I think a vast majority of kids from dis-advantaged backgrounds fail the realise the importance of Education to success. Many are deluded into thinking they will be rap stars with lots of money, many see it as a chore (often bunking many lessons) and end up in low deeming jobs.

Also the lack of role models, rap artists and such should not really be seen as role models. Many of the songs promote violence, greed, gang culture and a bad way of life. If Kids have good role models to aspire to, they will be more likely to achieve in life.

So what do you guys think?
    Laziness, not bothered to put the effort in, only caring about the present, underestimating the amount of work/effort needed, lack of standards, not being pushed, want the easy way out, think that the world serves them etc.
    • 167 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TM94)
    Not all kids from disadvantaged backgrounds fail.

**** me TSR is so stuck-up its unreal.
    Oh OK, the system as it is is fine then. Let's move on then.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I grew up in a council estate among the feckless and people who had just given up, but don't tar us all with the same brush. Among us were lots of young people who worked hard to get out of that situation, earn our own money and live a nicer lifestyle.

Sure, my aspirations aren't as high as some of the people on here, I'm either planning to train as a teacher or join the armed forces (two very different roles, but are being taken into serious consideration) so kids from 'bad' backgrounds aren't necessarily doomed to fail.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rattusratus)
    I come from a 'broken' family

my father was in jail

I was a teenage mother

I left school with average grades

I didn't go to college

I was homeless and sleeping on the streets at 16

I lived below the poverty line with my baby

I'm on some benefits

so i must be a failure :puppyeyes:

Im not a failure, I have a beautiful son, I have been with the father of my son happily for 5 years, Im at university, I have appeared in several films and magazines, I have partied and toured with big name rock bands, I have traveled the length of the country making friends at every stop, I have worked as a health care assistant and a vet, I have volunteered for charities and much more

ive done alot and im not ashamed but i am ashamed by how some people view the world and people they don't know
    wow i feel sorry for you
    • 167 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpicyStrawberry)
    I grew up in a council estate among the feckless and people who had just given up, but don't tar us all with the same brush. Among us were lots of young people who worked hard to get out of that situation, earn our own money and live a nicer lifestyle.

Sure, my aspirations aren't as high as some of the people on here, I'm either planning to train as a teacher or join the armed forces (two very different roles, but are being taken into serious consideration) so kids from 'bad' backgrounds aren't necessarily doomed to fail.
    So therefore the system is fine then? :rolleyes:

Why is it whenever people talk about kids from bad backgrounds failing in life there's ALWAYS someone to bring out an anecdote? The fact is that they were the lucky ones.
    • 167 followers

ReputationRep:
    I come from a 'broken' family

my father was in jail

I was a teenage mother

I left school with average grades

I didn't go to college

I was homeless and sleeping on the streets at 16

I lived below the poverty line with my baby

I'm on some benefits

so i must be a failure :puppyeyes:

Im not a failure, I have a beautiful son, I have been with the father of my son happily for 5 years, Im at university, I have appeared in several films and magazines, I have partied and toured with big name rock bands, I have traveled the length of the country making friends at every stop, I have worked as a health care assistant and a vet, I have volunteered for charities and much more

ive done alot and im not ashamed but i am ashamed by how some people view the world and people they don't know
    You claimed to work as a vet yet you say "Im at university" [sic]. Either you are taking a second degree after studying Veterinary Medicine, or you're talking bull****.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    So therefore the system is fine then? :rolleyes:

Why is it whenever people talk about kids from bad backgrounds failing in life there's ALWAYS someone to bring out an anecdote? The fact is that they were the lucky ones.
    To let the people who are unaware know that it isn't all doom and gloom. I refuse to accept that your upbringing should determine the rest of your life, if you make the effort at school and try your best you can make something of yourself. If you want to be a pessimist then fine, that's your issue.

I never suggested the system was "fine", I asked people not to treat all people from "bad" backgrounds as though we're already destined to fail, a very deterministic argument and one I disagree with. You need to look at the situation in more depth than pure statistical information, these are people's lives and futures you're passing judgement on.
    • 167 followers

ReputationRep:
    To let the people who are unaware know that it isn't all doom and gloom. I refuse to accept that your upbringing should determine the rest of your life, if you make the effort at school and try your best you can make something of yourself. If you want to be a pessimist then fine, that's your issue.

I never suggested the system was "fine", I asked people not to treat all people from "bad" backgrounds as though we're already destined to fail, a very deterministic argument and one I disagree with. You need to look at the situation in more depth than pure statistical information, these are people's lives and futures you're passing judgement on.
    Everyone knows that it isn't ALL doom and gloom. Not ALL who are poor and have crap upbringings fail in life. People aren't stupid. People are making a generalisation, and a valid one.

I'm not the pessimist. I'm just sick of people making a very good point, that yes, if you have a crap background you are MORE LIKELY to not fulfil your potential compared with someone with a supportive background. When people say things like that they don't mean EVERYONE with a crap background fails, but generally if you're from a crap background it's harder. I'm not a ****ing pessimist, if anything I believe that people can get up from their crap backgrounds and make something of themselves. You can't deny that many people don't/can't be bothered to.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Everyone knows that it isn't ALL doom and gloom. Not ALL who are poor and have crap upbringings fail in life. People aren't stupid. People are making a generalisation, and a valid one.

I'm not the pessimist. I'm just sick of people making a very good point, that yes, if you have a crap background you are MORE LIKELY to not fulfil your potential compared with someone with a supportive background. When people say things like that they don't mean EVERYONE with a crap background fails, but generally if you're from a crap background it's harder. I'm not a ****ing pessimist, if anything I believe that people can get up from their crap backgrounds and make something of themselves. You can't deny that many people don't/can't be bothered to.
    Please stop swearing, it creates the impression that you have a limited vocabulary. If you want to have an intelligent discussion, a bit more respect wouldn't go amiss.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I grew up in a disadvantaged single parent family with 5 kids, sure, some of my siblings have some emotional issues but we are all good people with a future. This has always made me think that it is the parents, my mum is a brilliant woman who has just had some bad luck, but for some parents, there is a reason they are in such a bad situation, and that is that they are simply irresponsible people.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not always having bad parents and coming from a poor background that causes this. A case similar to this is probably rare but dude i used to know had a richer family and much stricter parents than mine and he still failed in life. He used to be alright in fact, till he started hanging out with the "wastes", his brother is also going down the same road.
    • 167 followers

ReputationRep:
    Please stop swearing, it creates the impression that you have a limited vocabulary. If you want to have an intelligent discussion, a bit more respect wouldn't go amiss.
    You can't judge a person's vocabulary by the fact they use swear words. Youtube "Stephen Fry and swearing".

You're judging me on that? What if I were to judge people on their crap background? You would be the first to point out what I am doing is unfair.

You don't know how wide my vocabulary is, and you can't find that out from the fact I said the word "****ing". You implied that I was a pessimist. If you want to have an intelligent discussion, don't resort to ad hominem.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)
    One but her family said only snobs go to grammar school .
    And people from Bad backgrounds use "lack of opportunities" as an excuse.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can't judge a person's vocabulary by the fact they use swear words. Youtube "Stephen Fry and swearing".

You're judging me on that? What if I were to judge people on their crap background? You would be the first to point out what I am doing is unfair.

You don't know how wide my vocabulary is, and you can't find that out from the fact I said the word "****ing". You implied that I was a pessimist. If you want to have an intelligent discussion, don't resort to ad hominem.
    There really is no need to be so aggressive in your posts, it seems you have this snarky attitude with everyone and it doesn't wash. I've seen Fry's video a while back and found it interesting, but doesn't detract from the fact you felt the need to swear in order to put your argument across when there was no need for it.

I don't really wish to discuss anything further with you if you carry on like that, ad hominem argument or not I believe if you want an intellectual discussion you shouldn't swear or have a tantrum for someone suggesting you speak cynically and pessimistically.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830i
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You claimed to work as a vet yet you say "Im at university" [sic]. Either you are taking a second degree after studying Veterinary Medicine, or you're talking bull****.
    i was tired when i wrote this lol... it was meant to say health care assistand and veterinary assistant but some how got cut short on that line
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    how does using 'swear' words create a limited vocabulary, if you choose not to use certain words because YOU deem them offensive then surly your the one limiting your vocabulary
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you have bad attitude you won't succeed in life. Imagine if your at a interview and you much up and swear because your so use to swearing, go knows how you'd get the job, it proves you to be violent with words. Also example2, say of you work with kids and swear you'd get sacked. People from bad backgrounds use it as an excuse depending on what it is, any one can succeed I they put there head to it and believe they can do what they want to do in the future.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    how does using 'swear' words create a limited vocabulary, if you choose not to use certain words because YOU deem them offensive then surly your the one limiting your vocabulary
    Not really? I swear quite a lot, but in the situation we are in now on a forum where anyone can see it (young children for example) I don't think it's appropriate and if you do swear at inappropriate times you might have a lack of other, non-offensive words to say in its place.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not really? I swear quite a lot, but in the situation we are in now on a forum where anyone can see it (young children for example) I don't think it's appropriate and if you do swear at inappropriate times you might have a lack of other, non-offensive words to say in its place.
    Ok then, but each to there own, i dont find swearing offensive even around younger people as its all just language to me, what causes offense is how its delivered rather than whats said imho
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaboon-supreme)
    that is such a lame a excuse. i think the american dream applies to the whole world (hence should be called the universal dream). this dream is that you can do whatever you want as long as you are dedicated and hard working which i aagree with to a certain extend. look at the richest people in the world, most of them were very poor at the beggening and worked hard to get to were they are today and most of them didnt finish or go to universities.

so stop blaming the rich for taking opertunities others missed
    I think the American dream is very American. Most people accept that life is unfair and that you can't be whatever you want. Obviously being born into a middle class family comes with higher aspirations, better education and family friends/ contacts that can help you get your foot in the door. Also you would have grown up knowing people who are civil servants, journalists, teachers etc whereas those who come from poorer backgrounds are more likely to know builders, shop workers and shelf stackers etc. The Middle Class help their own to get good jobs hence keeping the middle class middle class if that makes any sense. I have never met anyone who believes in the American dream, probably why reading 'of mice and men' in GCSE was so pointless in our class, literally no one felt any emotion or understood the book because the American dream is one that is lost in translation.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 10, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.