Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why Do Kids From Bad Backgrounds Fail in Life?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Oh OK, the system as it is is fine then. Let's move on then.
    Well no the system isn't fine, but the view that all kids from bad backgrounds fail in life is simply disgusting. :rolleyes:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but some people just some not all make alogations. I am not saying every one is the same but some people eleven this to be true.a d ov course it is bad to swear in front of young children as some people get offended also if young people run there mouths of it causes parents to deal with arguments etc etc :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    I'm not sure where you made that argument, but, regardless, I agree. Upbringings shape an individual.
    It's hard to explain it to someone who hasn't experienced such a life, a reason why many MP's are terrible at trying to make a difference.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I have a question)
    I think I love you.
    What does he mean? :confused:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RastaMannn)
    It's hard to explain it to someone who hasn't experienced such a life, a reason why many MP's are terrible at trying to make a difference.
    Who me

• 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilyobz)
    What does he mean? :confused:
    Um, I've honestly been sitting here for like 10 minutes trying to figure out how to reword it. Umm... Clip is sort of saying we shouldn't think we're immune to misfortune or believe we are better than those who are; because anything can happen.

(Correct me if I'm wrong)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I have a question)
    Um, I've honestly been sitting here for like 10 minutes trying to figure out how to reword it. Umm... Clip is sort of saying we shouldn't think we're immune to misfortune or believe we are better than those who are; because anything can happen.

(Correct me if I'm wrong)
    I hope he doesn't think that am the type of person who believes their better than those less fortunate . I have the lowest self esteem
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilyobz)
    I hope he doesn't think that am the type of person who believes their better than those less fortunate . I have the lowest self esteem
    No, no! Of course not! I'm sure it is just a general bit of advice for everyone.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    In only speak for some of those from the 'bad background'... obviously there are exceptions. I'll just be brief and to the point:

- Do not see or understand the value of life let alone education due to living and experiencing tough conditions on a daily basis.
    - A'live for today becuase tomrrow is not promised' outlook on life due to experiencing things like 'wheres the next meal on the table coming from', 'no savings' etc.
    - Lack or self-worth and belief that there is more to them than this.
    - Lack of resources which hardens the tough cycle to break from
    - Wanting to be accepted so having to conform into a particular way. e.g. the gangster manerisms

It is quite sad really I have been friends with and knew people who were intelligent or talented individuals who have now just become wasted potential.

Whilst failing tends to be higher in kids from 'bad backgrounds' we can not neglect those from other more affluent backgrounds who may have all these things and yet tale them for granted and end up being bad seeds themselves. As well as environment it is ultimately down to the individuals will and ambition.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Idk, me and my brother didn't exactly have a incredible bad background but it wasn't great. We have very bad parents who told us everyday that we were useless idiots, that they wanted to put us up for adoption and they hit us quite a lot Mum abandoned us multiple times without saying goodbye before ending up cheating on dad, parents stopped supporting us in every way and made us feel like we were hassle. My brother is really sensitive to things like this and couldn't take it. He took everything they said to heart and felt like he wasn't good enough to do anything. He dropped out of school at 16 [which is a shame - he was very intelligent, went to a grammar school] became a hard drug addict, drank alcohol every night, started having sex with a load of under-age girls. He's 20 now and he sits at home every day - never had a job, not done a single thing for 4 nearly 5 years ... essentially a "failure" you could say. As for me, I'm slightly better. I went to sixth form, but I didn't apply to university because of how I perceived myself from what my parents told me everyday and because they told me that all my subjects were "****" anyway and I'd never get anywhere with them. My family are also pretty damn poor. My dad has a low paid job and my brother just refuses to even to try, it's like he's just given up on life already, so I couldn't have gone to uni anyway because I have to go get a job to save his skin so he won't get kicked out on the streets.

Anyway yeah, as you can see the reason why my brother failed in life was because he had no support from family - our parents literally didn't give a toss, and he had no positive role models (most of my family are ****ty - got an uncle who's been in jail multiple times for abusing his children and wife). Obvs because of family problems his education suffered as well as his moods which lost him his grades/friends and this caused him to start hanging around with the "wasters" and - yeah. Not good. Not all kids with bad backgrounds fail in life though, I know a girl in my year who's in a really bad family situation and lives in the roughest area of the city, and she gets A's and she's going to university this September to study Psychology.
    • 160 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpicyStrawberry)
    Not really? I swear quite a lot, but in the situation we are in now on a forum where anyone can see it (young children for example) I don't think it's appropriate and if you do swear at inappropriate times you might have a lack of other, non-offensive words to say in its place.
    Young children? When I first signed up to TSR, I was probably the youngest user at that time. Swearing didn't bother me.
    • 160 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TM94)
    Well no the system isn't fine, but the view that all kids from bad backgrounds fail in life is simply disgusting. :rolleyes:
    Generalisation/Average person from... =/= EVERY SINGLE PERSON
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliyah.k)
    Who me

eh? what you talking about?
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lokzia)
    Idk, me and my brother didn't exactly have a incredible bad background but it wasn't great. We have very bad parents who told us everyday that we were useless idiots, that they wanted to put us up for adoption and they hit us quite a lot Mum abandoned us multiple times without saying goodbye before ending up cheating on dad, parents stopped supporting us in every way and made us feel like we were hassle. My brother is really sensitive to things like this and couldn't take it. He took everything they said to heart and felt like he wasn't good enough to do anything. He dropped out of school at 16 [which is a shame - he was very intelligent, went to a grammar school] became a hard drug addict, drank alcohol every night, started having sex with a load of under-age girls. He's 20 now and he sits at home every day - never had a job, not done a single thing for 4 nearly 5 years ... essentially a "failure" you could say. As for me, I'm slightly better. I went to sixth form, but I didn't apply to university because of how I perceived myself from what my parents told me everyday and because they told me that all my subjects were "****" anyway and I'd never get anywhere with them. My family are also pretty damn poor. My dad has a low paid job and my brother just refuses to even to try, it's like he's just given up on life already, so I couldn't have gone to uni anyway because I have to go get a job to save his skin so he won't get kicked out on the streets.

Anyway yeah, as you can see the reason why my brother failed in life was because he had no support from family - our parents literally didn't give a toss, and he had no positive role models (most of my family are ****ty - got an uncle who's been in jail multiple times for abusing his children and wife). Obvs because of family problems his education suffered as well as his moods which lost him his grades/friends and this caused him to start hanging around with the "wasters" and - yeah. Not good. Not all kids with bad backgrounds fail in life though, I know a girl in my year who's in a really bad family situation and lives in the roughest area of the city, and she gets A's and she's going to university this September to study Psychology.
    Really sorry to hear about that. Try your best to go to uni, or you can even get an online degree while saving much of the uni costs. It isn't just about you. It's about those around you, about the children you will raise later in life, and the opportunities you will give to them-- those opportunities which you yourself haven't been lucky enough to get.

The World Bank talks about the Human Opportunity Index (HOI). Basically, it's a 'birth lottery'. But by improving your own position, you can make your children the lucky winners, along with the generations that follow with them.

I watched part of the video Democracyforum posted. "What your mind can conceive and believe, you can achieve." Unfortunately, what your mind conceives too often is guided by what others tell you, and everyone isn't as fortunate to meet a professor or psychologist who will explain to him the benefits of positive thinking.

Of course, there are people from bad backgrounds who've climbed to heights in life, but to think of it, we can give examples and name them precisely because they are so few.

Watch the video. It's worth a look. First page.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha510)
    Really sorry to hear about that. Try your best to go to uni, or you can even get an online degree while saving much of the uni costs. It isn't just about you. It's about those around you, about the children you will raise later in life, and the opportunities you will give to them-- those opportunities which you yourself haven't been lucky enough to get.

The World Bank talks about the Human Opportunity Index (HOI). Basically, it's a 'birth lottery'. But by improving your own position, you can make your children the lucky winners, along with the generations that follow with them.

I watched part of the video Democracyforum posted. "What your mind can conceive and believe, you can achieve." Unfortunately, what your mind conceives too often is guided by what others tell you, and everyone isn't as fortunate to meet a professor or psychologist who will explain to him the benefits of positive thinking.

Of course, there are people from bad backgrounds who've climbed to heights in life, but to think of it, we can give examples and name them precisely because they are so few.

Watch the video. It's worth a look. First page.
    I am gonna try to go to uni, but it's too late for this year so I'm gonna apply for next september and just take a gap year working/volunteering but yeah, I 100% want to go. I know - that's the one thing I want more than anything in the world. To be able to give my children what I wasn't given and to bring them up in a better way.

I'm going to watch the video now
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lokzia)
    I am gonna try to go to uni, but it's too late for this year so I'm gonna apply for next september and just take a gap year working/volunteering but yeah, I 100% want to go. I know - that's the one thing I want more than anything in the world. To be able to give my children what I wasn't given and to bring them up in a better way.

I'm going to watch the video now
    That's the attitude. What really matters isn't where you were born, but where you will reach before you die. I wish you all the best.

Thanks. It's a 2 hour video, I didn't watch it whole myself. The first 6-8 minutes already say almost everything.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    its about families valuing education

my grandad (who moved to england when he was 16, on his own) had not 1, not 2, but 3 jobs to send my dad to a private school from 11-16, who then got into a grammar 6th form

long story short as a family, we are relatively successful, happy, and very financially stable. I think that's ALL down to my grandad's emphasis on work ethic and education. because of that, my dad's placed emphasis on me and my siblings' education, and i think i will do the same

p.s. my grandad hails from pakistan, so it's not an ethnicity thing either. it's purely about the emphasis on education and work ethic
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I went to a pretty ****ty primary school and lived in a pretty bad area
    I mean so bad that someone managed to nick my neighbours car 7 times :/ it sure does have an influence on you later on in life feeling that of everyone else has failed what difference does it make if you do to so it took me a long time to get around this thank god I was intellectual and understanding enough to get out but sadly some people just were not as lucky
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I came from a rough council estate and I've turned out fine in comparison to a lot of my peers who now have children and live in a council flat or with their parents with no aspirations.
    I put my personal success down to my parents who are successful and have always encouraged me to go to uni. I saw my older siblings go and I've wanted to go for a long time because I've wanted more than what I've seen around me
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    I came from a rough council estate and I've turned out fine in comparison to a lot of my peers who now have children and live in a council flat or with their parents with no aspirations.
    I put my personal success down to my parents who are successful and have always encouraged me to go to uni. I saw my older siblings go and I've wanted to go for a long time because I've wanted more than what I've seen around me
    This ^

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 10, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.