The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

the samaritans- any1 used then?

Scroll to see replies

They just stopped replying to me when I was very low which is the worst thing to do when someone is begging for help. But everyone's experience varies. I wouldn't use them again.
I used to use the email service but they have (or had) a policy where they don't offer advice just support and someone to listen to... to be honest that was no use to me, I may as well have been talking to a blank wall! I think that you should go to your doctor and request counselling for how you are feeling, they can teach you techniques for emergency situations and give you other organisations which can help. If you don't want to go to your doctor then.. are you at university? Most universities have a counselling service with a much shorter waiting list. Otherwise contact the charity mind. I hope this helps :smile: look after yourself
Exactly what use are they? All they do is god .hmmmm,,hmmmmm hmmmmm every half a minute or so.

Just how does that fix anything? You feel terrible,depressed,anxious,like you havent got a friend in the world and life isnt worth living...Hmmmmm,,hhhmmmmmm...

No,,a real help would be if they discussed your issues,maybe even arranged a meet up to chat,a coffee,,some real practical help,,but no,,,hmmmm hhmmmmm hhhmmmmm...
Ye I used them once only cos of my mums hairbrained advice.

After a while on the phone and realising their canned spiel it made me feel much worse and I quickly tried to get off the line.

Felt so patronising and demeaning. And their canned repsonses I could tell were not at all tailored to my issues it felt like the she wasnt even listening and was just saiyng the same thing shed said to everyone else talking about 'it must be hard cos of the recession' and banal wrote stuff like that.

Listening to/playing the music I find the most cathartic thing for me these days. Ive resolved that its too hard to find ppl on a level with my mindset but music you can really relate to imo.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
They are indeed human. Real people from all walks of life giving up their time for no reward. There are 20,000 humans on the phone lines and as such you're not going to have the same experience each time. If you told the Samaritan that talking to them wasn't helping then why should he stay on the phone? They had 5 million contacts last year you know. They are unable to offer advice or discuss things, they are a listening service, unpaid and not there to be sweared at because, as I said, they are indeed human. They also do not possess magic wands so often end calls with the person still feeling bad. Sorry you've had bad experiences in the past.
Original post by Anonymous
so i rang the samaritans because i was feeling depressed. it says on their site they do a callback service, so i asked, and the lady was not happy or welcoming about it at all ''Why do you want a callback- don't you have credit?'' but the way she said it was very annoyed that i'd asked!

then when i was talking she was going ''mhmm'' literally every second to the point it sounded far to rehearsed. Then i was crying loads and she clearly didnt care. The things I was telling her that were really important to me she told me ''i dont want to sound rude or mean to upset you but 'x' is not as important as you think it is''. I told her i was feeling suicidal, she didnt even ask about it, she just asked me what id got planned this week!

Then, to top it off- she said she had to hang up because they had made the call and she had to cut it short!!! I couldnt believe it!

I wouldnt mind, but this is the 2nd time I have used the Samaritans and both times have been bad experiences. The first time I called was about a year ago and the lady was talkin to someone else in the background!

Has anyone else had an experience? good or bad?

I have phoned the Samaritans a countless number of times, about 80% of the time the volunteer was lovely; sometimes irritating or annoying but I was able to see they were trying their best and weren't trying to provoke me the way they were. Other times, the 20% of the calls weren't so great, I am almost certain I spoke to the very same woman you mentioned, she made me so angry. I have also had a crude man on the phone curious about my sexuality. On that phone call I did let him know that what he was saying was highly inappropriate and would be extremely triggering for some people and he denied doing anything wrong but still said a very false "sorry love"... I didn't report him officially but looking back I wish I had.
On thew hole, I am so so so grateful for the Samaritans, when I'm very anxious they are good with that, I love talking to lovely women (I don't talk to men there most of the time now, very rarely). I'd say phone again if another bad time comes around, it could be beneficial, and I hope it is!
You have my support :P x
I think the users on this forum ought to re read these posts and question what the hell they think The Samaritans are. Reading these posts you all sound like a group of toddlers having a tantrum because the entire Samaritan network didn't en masse come to your rescue and solve your problems!
They don't offer advice- for very good reasons. If you asked one of the highly trained volunteers they would explain this to you. They would never offer to 'meet up'. That would be highly dangerous for both parties. Their number is free. 116123. So no callback is necessary anymore. These are people that sit in offices in the middle of the night to listen to YOU. They are there for YOU. They are human, just like you, not robots, so yes sometimes you're going to not get the same answers or someone who talks in a way that you don't find helpful. If that happens, show some respect , end your call and try again, you'll get some one else. Honestly some of you guys need to grow up.
This is ridiculous! They are supposed to be helping people who are in desperate need. Why on earth are they not trained??

I'm so sorry that happened to you, I have sometimes considered calling but then I dislike phoning people so I'm not sure how that would go down, if someone was to be this rude to me on the phone I would be shocked especially when they are supposed to be there for you.

Hope your next phone call is better :smile:
I think the users on this forum ought to re read these posts and question what the hell they think The Samaritans are. Reading these posts you all sound like a group of toddlers having a tantrum because the entire Samaritan network didn't en masse come to your rescue and solve your problems!
They don't offer advice- for very good reasons. If you asked one of the highly trained volunteers they would explain this to you. They would never offer to 'meet up'. That would be highly dangerous for both parties. Their number is free. 116123. So no callback is necessary anymore. These are people that sit in offices in the middle of the night to listen to YOU. They are there for YOU. They are human, just like you, not robots, so yes sometimes you're going to not get the same answers or someone who talks in a way that you don't find helpful. If that happens, show some respect , end your call and try again, you'll get some one else. Honestly some of you guys need to grow up.

Still doesn't give them the right to be rude?

Why should the person phoning show some respect or end the call, when they're in a bad circumstance?? It is surely the samaritan that needs to show respect, as they have no idea who is calling or why or what the situation is.

What if someone was suicidal? Listeners need to be professionally trained.

Try 7cups instead!
I've called them three times the two females I spoke to were helpful but the male was rude and me feel worse than I did before that I dropped the phone on him. Some are just better than others.
Original post by MoonRocket

Why should the person phoning show some respect or end the call, when they're in a bad circumstance?? It is surely the samaritan that needs to show respect, as they have no idea who is calling or why or what the situation is.

Try 7cups instead!

Because they are talking to another human being who is giving up their time for free to offer them support?!

Try 7cups instead!

7cups is in my opinion, highly dangerous compared to the Samaritans. I did the 7cups training just to see what it was like - I did it in an hour. The Samaritans volunteers train for 6 months before atleast a 6 months probationary period. I have used the Samaritans a lot and have had some extremely good experiences. Their training is used all across the country (and world) as best practice for suicide and crisis intervention speak volumes. I started doing the Samaritans training, and it was very tough. You wouldn't go through it unless you wanted to do it. There will always be bad calls, it's the same everywhere - there are bad doctors, there are bad nurses, social workers, counsellors etc. however extensive training is there to try and ensure that everyone meets a standard. The Samaritans do this.

I disagree that "growing up" is the answer - but I agree with pretty much everything else you have said. The idea of samaritans is not to offer advice, if you want advice and you are in a crisis go to your GP or A&E.
What's the point of offering support if they're going to be rude?

Maybe it's just how they come across or the phoners interpretation.
What's the point of offering support if they're going to be rude?

Maybe it's just how they come across or the phoners interpretation.

It wouldn't be all of them - there are always bound to be a few people who are not great, or even good people who have bad calls. As an organisation they are still offering support. They do get a lot of fake calls and people taking the piss, which may be why they may come across as rude at times and why they end calls.
Tried them a few times and had one bad experience; she hung up on me when I was crying (I wasn't being abusive).
I emailed them for a while but then it just seemed useless so I stopped, then one time when I was feeling the worst I've felt I rang them crying and I couldn't speak there was just silence on the line so I just hung up
Just putting it out there but i believe a lady Samaritan saved my life last year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Why when you search for opinions of the Samaritans there is very, very little negative feedback, no organisation of this size has no detractors, I'm guessing that critics and criticisms are being silenced and supressed and no I'm not being paranoid. I used the service many years ago and was simply bullied into making a donation, they didn't care about and weren't interested in anything I had to say, my situation or anything I was going through. The people I spoke to were just plain rude and some even threatening and abusive, I think the Samaritans have a public face/private disgrace thing going on. The story in the bible where the Samaritans get their name, "the parable of the GOOD Samaritan" was about a group of people, the Samaritans, who were low lives, thieves, robbers and muggers but there was one GOOD Samaritan who helped a man after he had been attacked and robbed, my point being why don't you call yourselves the GOOD Samaritans. Ok I'm older and wiser and realise that predators tend to inhabit places where there is a ready supply of prey. This comment will no doubt be ignored/supressed/buried for being subversive. P.S. I've not left my contact details for fear of reprisals and death threats and have no doubt that if me or somebody else started digging into what really goes on at the Samaritans they'd be opening a whole can of worms.
so i rang the samaritans because i was feeling depressed. it says on their site they do a callback service, so i asked, and the lady was not happy or welcoming about it at all ''Why do you want a callback- don't you have credit?'' but the way she said it was very annoyed that i'd asked!

then when i was talking she was going ''mhmm'' literally every second to the point it sounded far to rehearsed. Then i was crying loads and she clearly didnt care. The things I was telling her that were really important to me she told me ''i dont want to sound rude or mean to upset you but 'x' is not as important as you think it is''. I told her i was feeling suicidal, she didnt even ask about it, she just asked me what id got planned this week!

Then, to top it off- she said she had to hang up because they had made the call and she had to cut it short!!! I couldnt believe it!

I wouldnt mind, but this is the 2nd time I have used the Samaritans and both times have been bad experiences. The first time I called was about a year ago and the lady was talkin to someone else in the background!

Has anyone else had an experience? good or bad?

I haven't used the call service but I have used the email one. I found it helpfull for me getting some things out, but not as helpful as counseling or therapy. It is worth remembering that schools, colleges and unis will normally have some sort of free access to counselling services for students so you may benefit from accessing that.

It sounds like you've been unlucky with call handlers. Try calling again. They do have specific rules on what they can and can't say and how to handel things so it doesn't always sound natural and they may not offer any solutions (just promp you to think about things). Still it does sound like your experience was rather poor.
Emailing may work better for you since there will be no umms and urrs and it will all be written. It just takes longer (i think replies are within 12 hours).

Latest