The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
for me it is more uncomfortable if i do not wear one so.... nope.
I never bother wearing it at home but I don't hate them.
Reply 42
Original post by curlygirl333
Hey,
I know this post is old but I just came across it.
I have this EXACT same problem... literally. I am also a 21 year old University student and I was diagnosed with OCD when I was 13. It started with cleanliness issues and hand-washing, but soon developed into more of a sensorimotor issue. I have had OCD issues with bras since I was 16. It's brutal. I have some good days where they don't bother me, but I have more bad days than good ones. I'm constantly tugging on bras, trying to get that "just right" feeling. Some days are so bad that I feel completely sick to my stomach and have to undo them. I am large chested so I usually wear a tight tank top under a baggy shirt so if I have to undo the bra, it's not too noticeable.
I have also tried every single style. I find something that works for a while, and then it starts to drive me crazy. I used to find sports bras were the best option for me (I hated the uni-boob, but I had no other choice) but even those started to bother me after a while.
How are you dealing with this now? Have you found any solutions/ways to cope?
I feel your pain!!

Hiya,
I'm the original poster of this thread :tongue: and I still have the problem, unfortunately ... but I've found that it mainly stems from wearing wired bras. I am large-chested so I need the support, but I find I'd rather choose comfort over my boobs being pushed up to high heaven!

So what I do now is wear something called the 'Genie bra'. It's basically like a sports bra, but much softer and more comfortable. You can buy a three-pack on Amazon for only £20, which is very reasonable, considering they were originally nearly £40! You choose your -shirt size, rather than your bra size, and that's all you need to do.

Depending on how large your boobs are, I recommend you size DOWN e.g. if you're a Medium (10-12) in tops, then buy a Small, because it will probably support you much better. I bought the Medium and while it's comfortable, I don't think it is supporting me as much as a Small would, so in the future I'll purchase Small and see how I go with it.

Now you'll probably hear a lot of criticism about these bras because a) They are NOT by any means the most supportive bra out there and b) They are NOT pretty. But they are so comfortable to wear round the house and with the right clothes, and as they come with padded inserts they do give you a shape too. I still get slight anxiety from wearing them but that's because I still haven't quite got used to them! However, they are a hundred times better than the normal wired ones I used to wear.

See how you go with them. If they still don't feel right (they might take some getting used to if you're severely OCD like me) then we'll try and figure out another alternative.

Hope it works :smile:
Reply 43
I can never even tell I'm wearing mine because they're comfortable. I hate not wearing one, especially when trying to run down the stairs.
When I'm at home I never wear a bra :tongue:
Reply 45
I hate NOT wearing them. I'll feel cold there :tongue:
Reply 46
never wear one when i'm home and when i go out i wear a sports bra, used to have the same problems as OP until i started wearing sports bras :biggrin:
I hate wearing a bra, but then I am male
Original post by Anonymous
Ever since I can remember, I've had a real diabolical issue with wearing bras. I've been correctly measured in different places, so it's not that they don't fit properly. I just truly despise wearing them, I find them terribly uncomfortable, just the knowledge I have something around my rib cage makes my head go funny, they dig in, give me headaches and shoulder strain and just generally make me feel pretty miserable. I also have severe obsessive-compulsive disorder and sensory issues so I wonder if it may be related to that.

It isn't anything to do with style either. I've tried T-shirt bras, balconette bras, plunge bras, strapless, wired, non-wired, etc. I've even tried corsetty-type things and they all give me the same feeling. I just cannot STAND anything around my rib cage, it gives me such a headache.

I'm wondering about simply wearing sports bras or those 'crop vest' type bras, but I am pretty large-chested and quite droopy (even though I'm only 21) so I'm not sure whether this would be beneficial, even if it would probably mean more comfort. I'm also starting university soon, and don't really fancy people seeing big baggy granny-style lingerie when I visit the laundry! lol

What do people suggest? :s-smilie: Does anyone else share the vendetta I have against bras?

I don't like bras much as well. Try bandeau tops, they don't dig much.
I am the most bra-hating woman on the planet. They are torture devices. I despise them!!!!!!!

Latest