The Student Room Group

Do I need a reasonably portable laptop for a computing course?

I'm studying Bsc Computer Games technology in September and I was thinking of getting a new laptop. I like my computer games so was thinking about getting a high performance one, not a standard laptop.
But the problem with high performance laptops is that they're heavier than standard ones. Can anyone tell me if personal laptops are used often in computing courses? I don't want to buy a heavy laptop and find out I have to carry it to and from lectures.
Any general advice on laptops in Uni would be nice too. Thanks:smile:
Reply 1
Nobody takes laptops to lectures, at least not where I study.

I have a chunky 17" laptop which is perfect. Occasionally I want to move it somewhere, but 99% of the time it sits on my desk where having a full-sized keyboard and a decent sized screen makes a big difference.
Reply 2
about 2 people take laptops to our lectures, and i think they are just netbooks , if you get a gaming laptop you will just end up using it as if it was a desktop.
there is no need for one at uni unless you use it to take notes, in which case a netbook is better(like 120 pounds) or (like me) just use paper(even though i much prefer typing, its just too much effort to keep pulling out a netbook)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending