The Student Room Group

Bristol Medicine Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Richyp22
I'm Still applying here! Since they dont use Ukcat when do they start sending out interviews?

Novemeber I would guess. I doubt they'll start earlier than november.
Reply 41
7 A*'s 2A's, AAAa at A-level, do they focus more on PS or academics?
yep, they dont look at As grades and they score your top 8Gcses A*/A are worth the same. Then the rest in Ps. So you have as much chance as anyone.

where does it say A* and A are worth the same ? :s-smilie:
Original post by AishaTara
where does it say A* and A are worth the same ? :s-smilie:

I think it amplies that on there website, Not 100% sure but this is the e-mail I got, I asked them if sombody with more A*s would be at an advantage or if A's and A*s are worth the same.

Dear Richard,

As long as applicants meet our entry requirements they will receive full
and fair consideration. So someone would not be at a disadvantage with 2 A*s
and 9As comparative to someone with 10 A*s.

Kind Regards

Sarah Tew
Medicine Admissions
University of Bristol
[email protected]

--On 17 August 2012 14:48 +0100 Richard Prempeh
Reply 44
I think it amplies that on there website, Not 100% sure but this is the e-mail I got, I asked them if sombody with more A*s would be at an advantage or if A's and A*s are worth the same.

Dear Richard,

As long as applicants meet our entry requirements they will receive full
and fair consideration. So someone would not be at a disadvantage with 2 A*s
and 9As comparative to someone with 10 A*s.

Kind Regards

Sarah Tew
Medicine Admissions
University of Bristol
[email protected]

--On 17 August 2012 14:48 +0100 Richard Prempeh

Do you know how they select for interviews? do they use gcse/a-level and ps?
Original post by Tan Theta
Do you know how they select for interviews? do they use gcse/a-level and ps?

80% Ps and 20% acedemics. Top 8 A*/A gcses are given creidt. As levels arent taken into account.
Reply 46
80% Ps and 20% acedemics. Top 8 A*/A gcses are given creidt. As levels arent taken into account.

You sure? Did they tell you that in an e-mail, they are so unclear in their website.
You sure? Did they tell you that in an e-mail, they are so unclear in their website.

Its all on there website, and confirmed by e-mail and open day :smile:
7 A*'s 2A's, AAAa at A-level, do they focus more on PS or academics?

They focus more on the personal statment.
Reply 49
Does anyone know whether Bristol still give out offers of A*AB?

Someone on the 2012 thread mentioned that they did, and I am now predicted A*AB (although I'm working on my maths teacher to convince him to predict me an A!), so I was just curious if any one aside from Keele accept that.
Reply 50
i'm sorry, i don't think that they do :frown:
Reply 51
how do you know your PS is good enough for bristol?
Reply 52
you don't unfortunately :frown:

we just have to take a chance! :tongue:

I'm hoping that I kick the UKCAT's ass so that I have safer choices!!

Maybe ask students who have gotten interviews from them?
Reply 53
Original post by marzzbarr
Does anyone know whether Bristol still give out offers of A*AB?

Someone on the 2012 thread mentioned that they did, and I am now predicted A*AB (although I'm working on my maths teacher to convince him to predict me an A!), so I was just curious if any one aside from Keele accept that.

They've stopped that this year but they do now have the contextual offer of AAB though.
Reply 54
Is scottish Highers equivlent to A-levels? I got AAAAC but cant find any where on their website about Scottish highers.
Original post by Almanac
They've stopped that this year but they do now have the contextual offer of AAB though.

What are contextual offers? Is it solely for disadvantaged students?
Reply 56
Original post by frogs r everywhere
What are contextual offers? Is it solely for disadvantaged students?

Well this is what it says about it on the website so it looks like if you go to a bad school you might get it.

This indicates the offer that might be given when the educational context of the applicant is taken into account. The University is committed to ensuring that it attracts highly motivated students from a wide range of backgrounds to create a diverse university community. As part of its commitment to the UK national agenda on widening participation, the University may give a lower offer to applicants from low-performing schools/colleges in the UK. The University reviews its definition of educational disadvantage and low-performing schools each year and each case is considered on an individual basis.
Student room website says for AS levels medicine that Chemistry grade A is required so I emailed Bristol and am awaiting a response to confirm if that is correct as I only have Grade B, dont want to waste an application etc. I am sure its PS as thats the impression I got when I went there. Just checking it though. Good luck everyone, cant believe the deadline is looming, MY PS has changed so many times. Seems like I am writing an english essay rather than about wonderful me.:colondollar:
Reply 58
Original post by This Honest
Nope. An A in English language means they want to see at least an A in English language.

Have you considered BSMS, keele, liverpool, lancaster, cardiff who place less emphasis on UKCAT?

NOOOOOOOO, I GOT B IN ENGLISH TOOOOOO. that's my only B. Want to cry now. Really want to try Bristol. Plus I screwed my UKCAT, so have to apply there. TT-TT All my other subj are fine. Got 7A*, 1A, 1B. I'm an international student doing IB. Predicted about 43 I think.
Reply 59
GAHHHHHHH! got A* for Eng Lit???? does it compensate??? well, maybe not. SO SAD.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending