Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lee Chong Wei still not being able to break his Olympic curse. Any opinions?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did you guys watch the final match of badminton men singles at Olympics? Who did you support? Lee Chong Wei or Lin Dan? Personally, I preferred Lee Chong Wei because of his playing style. And it's also shocking that China just took all the gold medals at badminton
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lin Dan is just a fantastic player.

Though, the match was much closer this time round. I think that if he made less unforced errors he would have won the match but Lin Dan played great. Sometimes I think he was born at the wrong time lol
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pyaesone)
    Did you guys watch the final match of badminton men singles at Olympics? Who did you support? Lee Chong Wei or Lin Dan? Personally, I preferred Lee Chong Wei because of his playing style. And it's also shocking that China just took all the gold medals at badminton
    They put some serious training into stuff like those sports, hence why they are so good at it, they've pretty much built up a monopoly in that area, created a strong mentality of work ethic and being the best, which would put off other competitors.
    It's like Britain with cycling, they built up on their success and willing to work harder to stay at the top.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    They put some serious training into stuff like those sports, hence why they are so good at it, they've pretty much built up a monopoly in that area, created a strong mentality of work ethic and being the best, which would put off other competitors.
    It's like Britain with cycling, they built up on their success and willing to work harder to stay at the top.
    I don't get it. There are many other top-ranked players from other countries too? Well, Malaysia can be an example. They even have the BWF headquarters in Kuala Lumpur.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    Lin Dan is just a fantastic player.

Though, the match was much closer this time round. I think that if he made less unforced errors he would have won the match but Lin Dan played great. Sometimes I think he was born at the wrong time lol
    Lol true that! I really want LCW to win at Olympics. My other favourite player, Peter Gade got knocked out already.
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't get it. There are many other top-ranked players from other countries too? Well, Malaysia can be an example. They even have the BWF headquarters in Kuala Lumpur.
    When a certain person wins a lot, this sticks to their mentality strongly, it also sticks to that of their opponents which makes them conscious that they always win, adds a bit of fear.
    It can be hard to bypass if they always win and you know they do puts you off a bit, but does certainly make them train much harder to overcome that, so eventually as long as they are able to get into the Olympics there is always a chance as long as their mentality isn't gone.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol true that! I really want LCW to win at Olympics. My other favourite player, Peter Gade got knocked out already.
    he's 29. Do you think he has another Olympics in him?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    When a certain person wins a lot, this sticks to their mentality strongly, it also sticks to that of their opponents which makes them conscious that they always win, adds a bit of fear.
    It can be hard to bypass if they always win and you know they do puts you off a bit, but does certainly make them train much harder to overcome that
    Ohh yes, that. I have it with some players too when I play the tournaments. Very true! I still have no ways to overcome that :/
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not really shocking in my opinion. They've always dominated in Badminton and they put in a hell of a lot of effort to maintain their dominance.

I personally support LD (guess why ), but it was a lot closer this time round and both took the game very seriously. Unfortunately, it's probably going to be their last Olympics for both of them (LCW said he'll retire in 2014 and LD is expected to do the same).
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aurorae)
    Not really shocking in my opinion. They've always dominated in Badminton and they put in a hell of a lot of effort to maintain their dominance.

I personally support LD (guess why ), but it was a lot closer this time round and both took the game very seriously. Unfortunately, it's probably going to be their last Olympics for both of them (LCW said he'll retire in 2014 and LD is expected to do the same).
    Oh wow! I didn't know about the retiring part. They're not that old yet. And is LCW still the number one in rankings?
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow! I didn't know about the retiring part. They're not that old yet. And is LCW still the number one in rankings?
    LCW is 29 and LD 28, they're getting to the point where they're past their prime.

According to the BWF, Lin Dan is now officially world number one so LCW has unfortunately dropped to second. However, rankings like these are subject to tournament wins so I wouldn't be surprised if LCW won back the number one ranking pretty soon.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Both are just unbelievable. The thing is, yesterdays game was anyone's guess. 1-1 and a score of 21-19 if I remember in the 3rd set. Do you reckon these will compete in 2016?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was rooting for Lee Chong Wei too, was so disappointed for him, especially as he was 2 points away from taking it. A really honourable player too. Sad to say but that was his last olympics, unless he changes his mind, but by then I assume there will be new players to take over. Would be incredible if he did show up in Rio and won it though.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drummer)
    Both are just unbelievable. The thing is, yesterdays game was anyone's guess. 1-1 and a score of 21-19 if I remember in the 3rd set. Do you reckon these will compete in 2016?
    Nah-uh. Not anymore.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Four Queue)
    I was rooting for Lee Chong Wei too, was so disappointed for him, especially as he was 2 points away from taking it. A really honourable player too. Sad to say but that was his last olympics, unless he changes his mind, but by then I assume there will be new players to take over. Would be incredible if he did show up in Rio and won it though.
    I am wishing that they will not be from China lol I want to see other countries win too. The badminton teams will not be competitive enough soon as these players are going to retire. I have a feeling that China will win every time.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 7, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.