The Student Room Group

ATTENTION YEAR 11: What does this mean for us?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Astronomical
That isn't how UMS works. The whole point of having UMS is that the relative difficulty of the exam is roughly constant. This is done by comparing the distribution of scores with the previous distributions, and adjusting the grade boundaries so that about the grade distributions are roughly the same.

If the daily mail article suggests anything else, just ignore it; it's wrong.

How do u know it's wrong?
I think it's like this:

The exams will be marked (for example, let's say that your AQA English literature paper is given 47/60).

The results of everyone's papers will be collated, and like always, grade boundaries will be decided mathematically (for example, as it was a rather hard paper, 46/60=A*, 39/60=A, etc...)

In contrast to previous years, 'comparable outcomes' will be applied. This means that Ofqual want roughly the same number of students to achieve an A*, A, B, C etc. compared to last year (in the new AQA English Literature case, they want the same number of students this year getting an A* as the number who got an A* in the old specification which had it's last run in June 2011 - this could actually be good as the students would have been more accustomed to the paper, hence more people achieved an A*).

Based on this, the grade boundaries will be adjusted. So let's say that in June 2012, 8% of students achieved an A*, but in June 2011 6% of students achieved an A*, then the grade boundary for an A* will be raised (so a few people will move down to an A for that exam). However, as I have said it can work both ways. For example, if in June 2011 18% of students achieved an A*, but in June 2012 only 11% of students achieved an A*, the A* grade boundary will be raised (so quite a few people will move up from an A to an A*).

I'm not sure how it's going to pan out for us, but I don't think that it's going to be as bad as we think...

Here's a quote from Ofqual's report in regards to 'comparable outcomes' for the new GCSEs - English, English Literature, Maths, ICT:

So if we aim for comparable performance in the first year of a new syllabus, it will make it harder for students to get each grade compared with students the previous year.

So there are good reasons to aim for comparable outcomes in the first year of a new syllabus. Students taking their A levels or GCSEs in any particular year will be competing with those from other years for access to higher education and employment. It gives some students an undeserved advantage if they get better results simply because they were taking an exam that their teachers were used to preparing them for. Students should not be advantaged or disadvantaged simply because they were the first to sit a new set of examinations.

It's pretty confusing, but note the difference between 'performance' and 'outcomes' - the performance part means that the exam will be harder because we have little material to prepare ourselves compared to last years' students; and the outcome part basically says that the grade boundaries - if necessary - will be lowered to make it fairer as we may be competing with them for access to higher education and employment.

Quote me if you want anything else answered - and I still haven't had an email from them!
Reply from Ofqual:

Thank you for your email. A new GCSE grading system is not being used in 2012. As in previous years, exam boards review students’ exam papers and use statistical information to set grade boundaries. The statistical information predicts the percentage of students expected to achieve grades (such as GCSE grades A and C) in each subject overall. They are used as a guide and are not strict targets or quotas.

Exam boards’ priority is that each student gets the right grade for their exam performance. They do not pre-set grade boundaries or decide beforehand how many students who will achieve each grade.

When GCSEs change in content and structure, Ofqual ensures that the standard required to achieve each grade is consistent with that of previous years. This means that students are neither disadvantaged nor advantaged by changes made to GSCE qualifications. We also apply this principle to A levels.

Our job is to make sure that grades are right, and that what is required for each grade stays steady. Where we see differences year on year, or between one exam board and another, it is our job to challenge that and to see whether there is any evidence, any explanation for it. Results do go up or down, for various reasons. They don't stay exactly the same each year, in each subject. But we have to be as sure as we can be that any movement is for a good reason, and that is what we do.

Kind regards,

Julie

Bit waffley, but reassuring all the same x
Reply 43
I just want them to miss out OUR year!

:L I know I sound selfish but if they wish to do something dumb like this - I don't want to suffer lol.
What they should do is re-introduct the O-Levels and maybe these boring adults can quit complaining that we are getting more intelligent -_-
Reply 44
Original post by ArtisticFlair
Reply from Ofqual:

Thank you for your email. A new GCSE grading system is not being used in 2012. As in previous years, exam boards review students’ exam papers and use statistical information to set grade boundaries. The statistical information predicts the percentage of students expected to achieve grades (such as GCSE grades A and C) in each subject overall. They are used as a guide and are not strict targets or quotas.

Exam boards’ priority is that each student gets the right grade for their exam performance. They do not pre-set grade boundaries or decide beforehand how many students who will achieve each grade.

When GCSEs change in content and structure, Ofqual ensures that the standard required to achieve each grade is consistent with that of previous years. This means that students are neither disadvantaged nor advantaged by changes made to GSCE qualifications. We also apply this principle to A levels.

Our job is to make sure that grades are right, and that what is required for each grade stays steady. Where we see differences year on year, or between one exam board and another, it is our job to challenge that and to see whether there is any evidence, any explanation for it. Results do go up or down, for various reasons. They don't stay exactly the same each year, in each subject. But we have to be as sure as we can be that any movement is for a good reason, and that is what we do.

Kind regards,

Julie

This is definitely reassuring! Ahhh so glad to read that after the first two pages of panic! Thank you! X

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 45
Reply from Ofqual:

Kind regards,

Julie

Ah good old Julie. Thanks for posting this - this reassures us all! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
I sorta spent an hour researching this in panic and it is not AS worrying.

First to explain the term 'comparable outcomes'; what Ofqual seem to mean by comparable outcomes is keeping a STABLE/STATIC grade distribution, by which they mean that if 27% got As in 2008, 27% should get As in 2009 too, by adjusting grade boundaries (if more than 27 percent got As, the grade boundaries will be made higher so less people get As) UNNTIL AND UNLESS there are good reasons accounting for the differences..

These are two of the key reasons for which Ofqual will use comparable outcomes:
1)the cohort for the subject is similar, in terms of ability, to previous years
2)the purpose, requirements and nature of the qualification is the same

So they will not use comparable outcomes (i.e. adjust grade boundaries) if the cohort's (the given year i.e. summer 2012 exams) abilities ARE different to previous years' and/or the nature of the qualification has changed (i.e. new syllabus etc.)

To explain further:
1)This is the bit where GCSEs/SATs comes in I suppose. A "cohort's ability", I presume, is judged by reference to the cohort's performance in GCSEs/SATs. If Cohort 2011 gets 27% A in A Levels, and Cohort 2012 gets 45% A in A Levels, Ofqual will want to use comparable outcome IF their abilities are the same. They will determine that by reference to GCSE/SAT scores. So if Cohort 2012 did have higher GCSEs in average than Cohort 2011, this proves that their abilities ARE NOT THE SAME, so the 18% increase is justified and comparable outcomes WILL not be used. (MY OWN OPINION ON THIS: SEEMS A BIT SILLY AS GCSES ARE NOT A GOOD YARDSTICK FOR FUTURE PERFORMANCE, BUT IM SURE OFQUAL WILL TAKE THAT INTO ACCOUNT
2)The "nature of the qualification" probably applies to subjects that have had syllabus changes. If with the introduction of a new syllabus the 27% A suddenly surges to 50% A, there will be an adjustment of the grade boundary BUT IT CANNOT BE ADJUSTED TO THE 27% BECAUSE THE 'NATURE OF THE QUALIFICATION' is no longer the same.

IN CONCLUSION: This is definitely a move towards keeping grade distribution static, meaning that even if people perform better they will not necessarily get higher grades, but it is not so rigid that just because 27% got As last year that it is guaranteed only 27% will get As this year too. Ofqual will be taking into account other factors and hopefully these factors will accurately reflect differences in grades and move the 27% up or down meaningfully. Remember this has been in practise since last year so if you did excellent in your AS-Level, it is unlikely that you're gonna notice any difference.
(edited 11 years ago)
I stumbled across this article after hearing someone talking about it on the train, and although it's from the Daily Mail, I can't help but wonder if this is true:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2184304/Pupils-sitting-GCSEs-A-levels-miss-marks-exam-boards-fix-grades-match-previous-years.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

There's nothing on the Ofqual website, but what does this mean for us if it is true? Does it mean that grade boundaries will be fixed at last years' boundaries, or will 90/100 = A*, 80/100 = A, or will only a certain percentage of students be awarded A*, A, B etc?

It means that the percentage getting each grade,will be fixed roughly to last year and this will of course affect the grade boundaries but grade boundaries could still be lower than last year,if it was a harder paper so that so much % get each grade.

Quick Reply

Latest