The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do regarding choosing a course in university? :(

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this post seems like a rant. So I'm in a bit of a tizzle right now - I don't know what to do about choosing a course in university. I originally wanted to do medicine (and I still do) but after reading some stuff about doctors working 7 day 12 hour shifts (I know they probably don't do that anymore, but still), being stressed practically every day etc, I don't know if I want to be a doctor (this is assuming that I get accepted, of course). I've always been interested in human biology, but now that I think about it, if it weren't for trying to get a good, stable job in the future, I probably would've decided to go for Archaeology or Psychology. I know to be a doctor you have to be really dedicated, be able to handle stress (however I don't handle stress very well :frown:) and all that so it probably looks like I'm complaining a whole load, but to be honest, I don't think I should be a doctor if I don't want all that hassle. But I've only done work experience for medicine (going around hospitals) and my first work experience placment was great, however the one I'm at right now isn't so great. So there's only about 2 months left for me to decide whether or not to do medicine... Any advice please?
If you're not sure about going, then don't go. Better to take a year out and be sure about what you want to do rather than go on to do a course you may hate/drop out of, as well as accumulate a lot of debt and potentially take a place away from a prospective student who really does want to do that course.

IMO, choice of university course shuld be largely career-based.
Reply 2
I may be way off base on this one but I believe that the implementation of the working time directive means that junior doctors are worked far less hard than they were in the past. Indeed this has been blamed for the occurence of discontinuity in patient care leading to deaths. (then again I could just be spouting *******s. Usually am)
Original post by Norton1
I may be way off base on this one but I believe that the implementation of the working time directive means that junior doctors are worked far less hard than they were in the past. Indeed this has been blamed for the occurence of discontinuity in patient care leading to deaths. (then again I could just be spouting *******s. Usually am)

Although let us not forget the ruling of Johnstone v Bloomsbury Health Authority :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by thecrimsonidol
Although let us not forget the ruling of Johnstone v Bloomsbury Health Authority :wink:

Not an issue, I've never heard of it. :wink:
Original post by Norton1
Not an issue, I've never heard of it. :wink:

A trainee doctor who worked 48 hours a week contractually, plus an extra 40 hours on top of that on call tried to argue this detrimented his health and well being (as an implied contractual term/duty). Because these extra 40 hours weren't technically contractual, his claim succeeded, since some of the judges felt these extra hours were secondary to the implied duty to protect his health. As obiter however, they did say that if the full 88 hours were contracual, then the doctor's claim might have had more difficulty.

Something like that, anyway :tongue:

Granted, the case was held in the early 1990's, but still of interest.
Reply 6
Original post by thecrimsonidol
If you're not sure about going, then don't go. Better to take a year out and be sure about what you want to do rather than go on to do a course you may hate/drop out of, as well as accumulate a lot of debt and potentially take a place away from a prospective student who really does want to do that course.

IMO, choice of university course shuld be largely career-based.

The thing is, I've already talked to my mum about taking a gap year and what happens if I don't get into Medicine and she absolutely refuses to let me take a year out. I know it should be my choice, but I don't really know if it would help.
Original post by eventidexc
The thing is, I've already talked to my mum about taking a gap year and what happens if I don't get into Medicine and she absolutely refuses to let me take a year out. I know it should be my choice, but I don't really know if it would help.

It's your choice though ultimately. She can't force you to go to university, and she'd be foolish to, since even if you did go just to keep her happy, you might not do well since you might not be enthusiastic/motivated or even good at it. (Not to imply you wouldn't be - i'm just proposing the range of options.) It's far better to wait and be sure. If you do something productive in the year out like work, you should be fine. Maybe try finding some work in a local pharmay or something? My step brother spent time at a local one as part of his high school work experience and they've kept him on doing part-time shifts ever since.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending