Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

depression and a levels

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014

i'm 19, and i completely failed my a2 levels would i still get into university considering my extenuating circumstances - (i'm bi-polar and have had a lot going on this year)?

and if i don't reach my firm/insurance, would i still be able to phone up the university regarding my situation - if so, is there a possibility i'd be allowed entry?

thanks x
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    It might be possible. have you spoke to your GP and the uni about this?

(Original post by OU Student)
    It might be possible. have you spoke to your GP and the uni about this?
    ive spoken to my GP and hospital about this... ive tried to contact the uni about this, but i'm not getting anywhere yet. i think it would be best for me to vocally or speak to them in person? not too sure... what you think?

thanks for the reply

any other views?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, depending on how far off your grades are. There is also clearing.

(Original post by Ollieeeee)
    Yes, depending on how far off your grades are. There is also clearing.
    thanks for the reply, but i was thinking more along the lines of actually failing.
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    My advice is to phone your firm and/or insurance choice and speak to them about it. Only they will be able to make an informed assessment once you've told them as much as you can about your situation. And as Ollieeeee said, if your firm and insurance don't accept you, you can try clearing too.

(Original post by Amwazicles)
    My advice is to phone your firm and/or insurance choice and speak to them about it. Only they will be able to make an informed assessment once you've told them as much as you can about your situation. And as Ollieeeee said, if your firm and insurance don't accept you, you can try clearing too.
    thanks for the reply, and yep i'll call up both universities.

i don't think i'll think twice about entering clearing :P
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    thanks for the reply, and yep i'll call up both universities.

i don't think i'll think twice about entering clearing :P
    Good luck.

i'm 19, and i completely failed my a2 levels would i still get into university considering my extenuating circumstances - (i'm bi-polar and have had a lot going on this year)?

and if i don't reach my firm/insurance, would i still be able to phone up the university regarding my situation - if so, is there a possibility i'd be allowed entry?

thanks x
    Hiya I don't know what uni's you've applied to. But mine both said to email them so they could put the information on a file that they can review once they get the results! Although I completely understand I'd have preferred to talk to mine about my health problems too! Just phone up and ask for the admissions tutors email addresses is my advice

Hiya I don't know what uni's you've applied to. But mine both said to email them so they could put the information on a file that they can review once they get the results! Although I completely understand I'd have preferred to talk to mine about my health problems too! Just phone up and ask for the admissions tutors email addresses is my advice
    ahhh, thanks for the reply... i firmed aberystwyth btw! in the admissions tutors email, am i suppose to provide evidence of health decline or am i suppose to provide detailed information about the course i've applied for, basic info about health, etc?
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Definitely worth getting in touch and asking, I'd do it by email and by phone, if you do it by email you then have written proof of contact...

Speak to your college to see if they can allow you to retake A2s if you do fail... my college gave me this safety net, even though it turned out I did not need it.

What the unis might think though, is if you have failed your A2 due to your illness and circumstances, whats to say that uni will be right for you at the moment?? have you considered this yourself? Are you well enough to go to uni at the moment or might a year or two out do your some good?

(Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
    Definitely worth getting in touch and asking, I'd do it by email and by phone, if you do it by email you then have written proof of contact...

Speak to your college to see if they can allow you to retake A2s if you do fail... my college gave me this safety net, even though it turned out I did not need it.

What the unis might think though, is if you have failed your A2 due to your illness and circumstances, whats to say that uni will be right for you at the moment?? have you considered this yourself? Are you well enough to go to uni at the moment or might a year or two out do your some good?
    thanks for the response! i've spoken to my college, and sadly they don't want me to retake my A2, i received letters of concern from AQA exam boards because i was physically unable to write anything in my exams, and my level of mentality was completely fudged.

i've asked around, family, relatives, the school... majority think that starting university will give me that kickstart as it did during the start of college, and i did work hard during college until everything started to decline. i'm recovering so far, and i'm trying to stick to the strong mindset i have to achieve getting somewhere in the end!

anymore advice, please, i'd really appreciate it?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 8, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.