The Student Room Group

Reccommend an easy AS/A-Level to self learn

Long story short:-

I want to do another AS/A-Level. I'm planning to sit the exams as a private candidate.
Could anyone reccommend one I could easily self-study and pass to a decent grade (perhaps to A2?). I'm not fussed about "respectability" and the like but, obviously general studies or critical thinking are not an option as they aren't accepted everywhere.

(Would be helpful if it had no coursework or practicals, and as few modules as possible)

I'm already doing Biology, Chemistry, English (Lit&Lang), French and History.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How about Maths? :smile: I understand some people find it hard, but tbh, once you get the hang of it - all the questions are the same, its just the numbers that have changed! Plus there are great websites like www.m4ths.com to teach you the whole syllabus perfectly, well thats how i did it anyway and it worked perfectly for me :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by justneedhelp
How about Maths? :smile: I understand some people find it hard, but tbh, once you get the hang of it - all the questions are the same, its just the numbers that have changed! Plus there are great websites like www.m4ths.com to teach you the whole syllabus perfectly, well thats how i did it anyway and it worked perfectly for me :smile:

It actually would be very useful to take up maths, I'll look into it, but I honestly am terrible at maths.

I must admit, I'm sort of looking for a free ride.
Reply 3
Really? There isn't any ridiculously simple ones?
I'll check out some geography past papers and try and see their difficulty.
Reply 4
History Of Art isn't easy, but you could definitely teach it to yourself.
Original post by shabbaa

I want to do another AS/A-Level. I'm planning to sit the exams as a private candidate.
Could anyone reccommend one I could easily self-study and pass to a decent grade (perhaps to A2?). I'm not fussed about "respectability" and the like but, obviously general studies or critical thinking are not an option as they aren't accepted everywhere.

(Would be helpful if it had no coursework or practicals, and as few modules as possible)

I'm already doing Biology, Chemistry, English (Lit&Lang) and History.

Why do you want to do an extra A-level? From the fact that you don't want to do General Studies and Critical Thinking because "they're aren't accepted everywhere", it shows that this has something to do with university applications.

YOU DO NOT NEED 5 A-LEVELS.

I can understand the reason why you are taking the A-level as a private candidate, your college has rightly refused for you to do a fifth A-level. Of course many people do 5 A-Levels and get good grades in them, but you're better off devoting your time in getting the highest grades possible in your four A-levels.

Judging by your A-level subjects and the motive that you have in doing a fifth 5 A-Level, will you be applying for Medicine this year? :rolleyes: (Or a subject allied to Medicine).

Remember, it's not all about grades for Medicine. Definitely not. If you think you're going to have an advantage by doing a fifth A-level, well, I sincerely doubt that. Many do 3 A-levels and get into Medicine just fine.

You would also be doing it in Year 13. To do 5A2s and 1AS (as you'll be taking the full A-level) is not worth it as you may fail to make any offers (and they will not stipulate a 5 A-level offer. This may have been done one or twice for Cambridge entry, but that's about it).

Ridiculous. Forget about it. You're grasping for straws if you think an extra A-level will help your application for Medicine. Damn ****ing not.
Reply 6
Original post by Trottoir
History Of Art isn't easy, but you could definitely teach it to yourself.

Hmm, I think it might not be an option then. I'm literally looking for an "impossible to fail" sort of subject that I can certainly get a good grade in.
Reply 7
Psychology- it simply involves lots of reading and it's really interesting to get stuck into. It links in well with biology too
Reply 8
Original post by shabbaa
Hmm, I think it might not be an option then. I'm literally looking for an "impossible to fail" sort of subject that I can certainly get a good grade in.

You won't find that to be honest, first find an interest in one of those subjects, thats when you are likely to succeed.
Original post by shabbaa

What an awful attitude you have there. Having said that, I think GS fits the bill. :mmm:
Reply 10
Economics, it's really just knowing your diagrams, definitions and what's going on in the news
Original post by shabbaa

I'm already doing Biology, Chemistry, English (Lit&Lang) and History.

film studies
Reply 12
Original post by im so academic
Why do you want to do an extra A-level? From the fact that you don't want to do General Studies and Critical Thinking because "they're aren't accepted everywhere", it shows that this has something to do with university applications.

YOU DO NOT NEED 5 A-LEVELS.

I can understand the reason why you are taking the A-level as a private candidate, your college has rightly refused for you to do a fifth A-level. Of course many people do 5 A-Levels and get good grades in them, but you're better off devoting your time in getting the highest grades possible in your four A-levels.

Judging by your A-level subjects and the motive that you have in doing a fifth 5 A-Level, will you be applying for Medicine this year? :rolleyes: (Or a subject allied to Medicine).

Remember, it's not all about grades for Medicine. Definitely not. If you think you're going to have an advantage by doing a fifth A-level, well, I sincerely doubt that. Many do 3 A-levels and get into Medicine just fine.

You would also be doing it in Year 13. To do 5A2s and 1AS (as you'll be taking the full A-level) is not worth it as you may fail to make any offers (and they will not stipulate a 5 A-level offer. This may have been done one or twice for Cambridge entry, but that's about it).

Ridiculous. Forget about it. You're grasping for straws if you think an extra A-level will help your application for Medicine. Damn ****ing not.

You're obviously a bumbling idiot who makes false assumptions.

1. I am not looking to apply for medicine.
2. My college offers very few subjects.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Purehakkai
Economics, it's really just knowing your diagrams, definitions and what's going on in the news

Original post by dongonaeatu
film studies

I'll take a look thanks.
Reply 14
Economics is simple and can be self taught I'd say

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 15
Original post by sshah210
Economics is simple and can be self taught I'd say

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thanks mate, checking out the past papers
Reply 16
Original post by shabbaa

I'm already doing Biology, Chemistry, English (Lit&Lang), French and History.

Business Studies would be your best bet in terms of simplicity
Reply 17
Original post by Selym95
Business Studies would be your best bet in terms of simplicity

Added to the list, I'll look into it. Thanks mate.
Reply 18
Original post by shabbaa
Thanks mate, checking out the past papers

Out of interest why do you want a fifth?
Reply 19
Original post by Arva
Out of interest why do you want a fifth?

It is kind of personal and embarrasing, so I would rather not say.

Quick Reply

Latest