The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Close enough :rolleyes:

But the point is, don't change gear NEAR redline every time you drive!

Your question is, "Is it worth worrying about not to do it?"

YES! So don't do it!
Reply 21
Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC). It comes in Honda engines, producing a slightly different power format than other engines. The main reason for its praise is because it can red line without too many problems. It likes to be ragged to produce better performance.

Red line = max power. (Not theoretically, but generally). HIt the red line and your car wil be revving going nowhere faster, without the change of gear.

The main reason for its praise is that vtec engines produce an almost perfect torque curve. The fact they can reliablily rev to high rpms and still make power means they produce very good power figures in such small engines. Smaller engines also mean a lighter car. IMO vtec engines are by far the best mass produced engine around.
_Jax_

world's first VTEC'd Supra!

Here's a video that explains the VTEC cam system. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-879085704295465821&q=VTEC&pl=true

Back to the thread -> For most cars, its good to give the engine a bit of a thrashing every now and then, as the components get hotter than in normal use, and it helps to remove build-ups and deposits in the engine.

If you do thrash your car on a journey, its important to let the engine run for around 30secs or so when you stop (especially for turbo charged engines), as the sudden reduction in temperature can cause the oil to stop flowing, and therefore causing engine damage. Leaving the engine running lets the oil cool steadier, and takes heat away from the turbo effectively.

Thrashing from cold can cause damage, if i did it in my SX too much it would probably blow up. Once any decent engine is fully warmed up ragging it wont cause any damage. When testing the Focus they ran the engine for a solid 27 hours (IIRC) on the red line, and it was fine. The exhaust got white hot.
Reply 23
world's first VTEC'd Supra!

And one hitting vtec when standing still. Must be one special car.
Nah, you guys are wrong, it was the Ferrar's VTEC that kicked in! :biggrin:
Reply 25
Yes but ragging a car also evolves around the gear box, brakes, suspension, tyres, the whole drivetrain pretty much. So if you rag your car often even if the engine is warmed up you still cause excessive wear to the other componants of the car.

Graham
Reply 26
I think seafoam would be a better way of "cleaning out" your engine rather than "ragging it".
Reply 27

I think the theory is that higher rpm's for a long period of time blasts gets some of the coke out of the cylinder head
Reply 28
_Jax_
I think seafoam would be a better way of "cleaning out" your engine rather than "ragging it".

Firstly RedEx is better than seafoam. Secondly, the heat/forces generated when an engine is used hard mean that the carbon is blasted out of the system when combined with RedEx. By keeping the engine hot, the carbon deposits do not have a chance to deposit again on the valve seats/exhaust manifold/exhaust system.

Graham

Latest