The Student Room Group

Is Law a bad choice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thelawstudent
errrr i do seem to know what it is, don't assume things of other users and immediately come to a conclusion that you're assumption is right just because you're a sad TSR Dungeon Master with +5 reps who spends their days and nights on here. yes i did know what the RG is and NEVER did i say or intentionally imply that RG unis were "'the best' in terms of uk universities"

If you think they're not the best, why should law courses be limited to them?
Yours,
Aeschylus (sad tsr dungeon master)
Reply 61
Original post by SteveDawson
True but what skills are transferable into a management career and what about graduate schemes that ask for a Business degree.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

Some graduate schemes are going to require their applicants have certain degrees. What I'm saying is a Law degree provides graduates with a diverse range of opportunities and if the OP can't find a job as a lawyer then he still has many options :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire S
i genuinely believe that law should be restricted within the Russell Group unis.

The Universty Of Leicester is an excellent uni with a very highly rated law course =/
Reply 63
I think that before you make any choices do work experience in a law environment.

As a law undergrad I believe I made the wrong choice in degree, I am undecided about career. Law is a fascinating degree, but it is competitive, very hard work and getting a 2:1 is not as easy as people think, and if you want a career in law, you need at least a 2:1.

Now I'm not saying it is easier to get a 2:1 in other degrees, I'm merely explaining that with my 2:1 this year, I was reading about 25 + chapters of long books a week as core/research etc, as well as reading through legislation and cases. Which is what you should expect, but for a career in Law, they want you to have a 2:1, proof your well rounded e.g. sports, the arts, interest in charity and the community, work experience in law, a job in general, taking an active part in your course etc. and even then you may well not be a top candidate.

Take me for example, Law degree currently: 2:1, I work with disabled children, I volunteer at my local hospital, I am part of the volleyball team and I take part in choir. I also write for my law school newsletter, am I first year undergrad mentor, have had many many work experience placements and I am consistently at networking events. I also learn mandarin part time.
I literally have no hours left in the day.

My cousin however, who did all of the above and volunteered for cab, did an English degree and she got a training contract with a magic circle firm who sponsored her GDL, LPC and she is now in her second year of her training placement, currently seated with project finance. She seemed to have more time than me as her degree was seemingly more well balanced with the level of work expected off of her.

At oxbridge the expectations of you are worse, and it may be worth considering whether it would be harder to do well as a result. But do go to a top russell group university, but don't forget to study which uni on the student surveys, to decide which would best suit you, e.g. Southampton Uni ranks 128th on exam feedback, as a result my friend studying law there feels like the undergrads are fishing around in the dark, as the new policy is not to give feedback unless you fail.
Reply 64
Original post by Aeschylus
It's a question because you don't seem to know what it is. It's a collection of the biggest universities wrt research funding, who act as a lobbying group. It is not, and never has been except in the minds of poorly-informed journos and politicians, synonymous with 'the best' in terms of uk universities.

Going to a Russell group has a level of prestige that your average employer at a job interview will be well aware of coming from that 'poorly informed' mind set you speak of.

Its simple you want to do a prestigious course and join a prestigious career, go to a place which the middle aged population interviewing for such careers, believe shows a level of prestige about yourself.
Reply 65
Original post by SteveDawson
True but what skills are transferable into a management career and what about graduate schemes that ask for a Business degree.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

Anyone in business, my dad is COO in banking world, will believe that business degrees are for the 'not so intelligent', however wrong that analogy is, as that is what is believed in their mindset. An MBA is much much more valuable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending