The Student Room Group

Apple discount question

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
they don't ask for ID when you go in, as long as it's within warranty.

and the whole university automatic warranty thing, combined with EU consumer law which gives people an automatic warranty means you don't really need applecare. but i've heard people having problems with it. As a student applecare is only an extra £45 or something, a tiny amount compared to the amount of the laptop so its arguably worth getting anyway

Oh i see.
so the apple care for £45 is only telephone support. you get 3 year warranty when you buy the laptop.

like you said if you know people who have had problems, i might as well pay the extra £45
Reply 21
Original post by boateng
Oh i see.
so the apple care for £45 is only telephone support. you get 3 year warranty when you buy the laptop.

like you said if you know people who have had problems, i might as well pay the extra £45

You can get your tech support for free in an Apple retail store.
If you are in higher education, you can buy the MacBook from apple off the phone and get the following:
15% discount (not 14%)-3 year hardware support (1 year phone) and a £70 voucher to spend on apps. There is no point in buying Instore as you need to pay £45 for the AppleCare. (basically you are paying £45 for 2 years phone support)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by PVisitors
You can get your tech support for free in an Apple retail store.

Replacements are not free after 1 year unless you shell out £45 for AppleCare.

Also the AppleCare is £60, not £45 if you are looking at the retina.

Reply 25
Original post by Marcus4004

They are when you have the 3 year hardware coverage which you get for free via the online education store due to the HE agreement (which doesn't apply in-store).

With this you're still entitled to in-store hardware coverage and replacements however as long as you don't have a CTO mac.

Buy online OP, that way you can save yourself £45.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
They are when you have the 3 year hardware coverage which you get for free via the online education store due to the HE agreement (which doesn't apply in-store).

With this you're still entitled to in-store hardware coverage and replacements however as long as you don't have a CTO mac.

Buy online OP, that way you can save yourself £45.

Damn this is confusing! What is a cto mac?

so basically if i buy online or order through the phone, i don't need to shell out the £45 for apple care? I am covered for 3 years, just without phone support?
I don't see why apple make you pay the £45 if you buy the mac in-store, but you can get it free if you buy online online:eek:
Reply 27
Original post by Marcus4004

Huh so with education discount bought online, if my mac was to break, it would not be repaired or replaced because i didnt buy the apple care.

i though you get 3 years warranty when you buy it online with the education discount thingy:confused:
Reply 28
Original post by boateng
Damn this is confusing! What is a cto mac?

so basically if i buy online or order through the phone, i don't need to shell out the £45 for apple care? I am covered for 3 years, just without phone support?
I don't see why apple make you pay the £45 if you buy the mac in-store, but you can get it free if you buy online online:eek:

A CTO Mac is one configured online (so for example if you changed the processor). They can't replace in-store because the Mac isn't stocked in-store. It's created to order and shipped straight from China off the production line.

If you buy online (not sure about phone) you don't need to spend £60 on Applecare for the 3 years hardware coverage. Online you get the 3 year warranty for free BUT only 1 years phone support. If you paid £45 in-store you would get 3 years warranty AND 3 years phone support. However phone support is moot as anybody can book a 'genius appointment' and get tech advice for free.

It's only free online because it was a Higher Education agreement contract Apple won for the UK. The 3 year warranty is honoured by Apple because they bought the contract, but the idea behind the 3 year student warranty is from some sort of higher education charity.
Reply 29
A CTO Mac is one configured online (so for example if you changed the processor). They can't replace in-store because the Mac isn't stocked in-store. It's created to order and shipped straight from China off the production line.

If you buy online (not sure about phone) you don't need to spend £60 on Applecare for the 3 years hardware coverage. Online you get the 3 year warranty for free BUT only 1 years phone support. If you paid £45 in-store you would get 3 years warranty AND 3 years phone support. However phone support is moot as anybody can book a 'genius appointment' and get tech advice for free.

It's only free online because it was a Higher Education agreement contract Apple won for the UK. The 3 year warranty is honoured by Apple because they bought the contract, but the idea behind the 3 year student warranty is from some sort of higher education charity.

Ahhh thanks

so if i buy the mac but i change the ram to 8gb will they change it if anything goes wrong.
Reply 30
Original post by boateng
Ahhh thanks

so if i buy the mac but i change the ram to 8gb will they change it if anything goes wrong.

Yes they will but when you go to the store if you need a replacement they (or you) will have to send the broken Mac back to Apple and then your new one will be sent to you from China. Rather than just exchanging it there and then. It's not really an issue to be honest.
Reply 31
Yes they will but when you go to the store if you need a replacement they (or you) will have to send the broken Mac back to Apple and then your new one will be sent to you from China. Rather than just exchanging it there and then. It's not really an issue to be honest.

Oh is it:mad:

I don't want that. If you buy the mac in-store they will replace it for you there and then if it goes faulty?
Is it because i bought it online or because i upgraded the ram to 8gb which is why they will send me one from China if i originally purchase a mac online?

I would rather buy it in store but i am an alevel student so i wont get as much discount as i wont have proof that i am in uni.

sorry for the 1 million questions btw:biggrin:
Reply 32
Original post by boateng

I don't want that. If you buy the mac in-store they will replace it for you there and then if it goes faulty?
Is it because i bought it online or because i upgraded the ram to 8gb which is why they will send me one from China if i originally purchase a mac online?

I would rather buy it in store but i am an alevel student so i wont get as much discount as i wont have proof that i am in uni.

If you buy it online, but don't change anything (RAM, cpu etc.) then yes I'm pretty sure they can replace it straight away.
Reply 33
Original post by boateng

It only comes from China because you put 8gb RAM in it. If you bought a stock model (one which the Apple store sell) online then you will be able to get a replacement from the store. It's only because you have upgraded the RAM, not because you bought it online.

What Mac are you buying anyway?
Reply 34
It only comes from China because you put 8gb RAM in it. If you bought a stock model (one which the Apple store sell) online then you will be able to get a replacement from the store. It's only because you have upgraded the RAM, not because you bought it online.

What Mac are you buying anyway?

I was looking to buy the macbook pro 13'

i don't know if i should upgrade the ram though. most people say it will be better in the long run especially when you put tons of apps, games etc on it.

what ram do you have may i ask?
Reply 35
Original post by boateng
I was looking to buy the macbook pro 13'

i don't know if i should upgrade the ram though. most people say it will be better in the long run especially when you put tons of apps, games etc on it.

what ram do you have may i ask?

I have 8gb in my laptop and 12gb in my desktop.

However considering you're getting the Macbook Pro don't bother buying it straight from Apple as an upgrade. Apple charge ridiculous amounts for Ram and you don't need to pay that as unlike the MBPR/MBA it isn't soldered onto the board.

You can buy Ram from Crucial and upgrade to 8gb or 16gb for around £30 (8gb) or £50 for 16gb. Apple charge £80 for the Ram upgrade.

Save yourself the money and fit the RAM yourself; plus this way you don't have to worry about the issue I was talking about having to put yourself through the hassle of sending your replacement to Apple via courier and then waiting for them to send back a replacement.

Actually fitting the Ram is really easy and can be done by anybody, if you're unsure here is a Youtube guide just to demonstrate that it is such a 5 minute job:

Reply 36
I have 8gb in my laptop and 12gb in my desktop.

However considering you're getting the Macbook Pro don't bother buying it straight from Apple as an upgrade. Apple charge ridiculous amounts for Ram and you don't need to pay that as unlike the MBPR/MBA it isn't soldered onto the board.

You can buy Ram from Crucial and upgrade to 8gb or 16gb for around £30 (8gb) or £50 for 16gb. Apple charge £80 for the Ram upgrade.

Save yourself the money and fit the RAM yourself; plus this way you don't have to worry about the issue I was talking about having to put yourself through the hassle of sending your replacement to Apple via courier and then waiting for them to send back a replacement.

Actually fitting the Ram is really easy and can be done by anybody, if you're unsure here is a Youtube guide just to demonstrate that it is such a 5 minute job:

Oh I see. Where do I buy the ram from? Also are u sure it won't damage the laptop?
Reply 37
Original post by boateng
Oh I see. Where do I buy the ram from? Also are u sure it won't damage the laptop?

You can get it from Crucial. And not really, it's ridiculously simple to replace RAM in a laptop and there are guides on Apple's site which tell you how to do it properly. It won't void your warranty either.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/
You wont need to upgrade the ram at all, in all fairness 4gb is plenty enough unless you're going to be using memory intensive programs. (High end gaming, 3d modelling, video/audio editing or just running many, many programs at once)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
If you buy online using the university links you get 3 year hardware support. Online only however.

Is that three year support free or no? and is apple care included?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending