Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Anyone fancy doing a £1.25 a day challenge?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So, a few weeks ago, I had a talk from a lady from ''Free the Children''- a charity that provides a way for children and young adults of the first world countries to help the third world.
    And then today, I saw this:
    http://www.globalissues.org/article/...acts-and-stats
    40% (almost 3 Billion people, no biggie...) of the world lives on $2 (£1.25) a day. A DAY. I bought a bottle of Coke today, guess how much it cost me? £1.25.
    So I thought to myself, how much do I live on a day? Could I survive on £1.25 a day? (Including electricity, food, drink, water, transport, heating- bearing in mind that the people who live on £1.25 do NOT have access to free health care or education.) And me being me, I decided to set myself a challenge to live on £1.25 for a week (September 1st- September 7th). Do you think you could live on £1.25 for one day? I've made an event on facebook if anyone wants to join the challenge.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    £1.25 a day will go far further in a poverty stricken society than a western one.

You could probably buy a house in rural China for £1.25
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not really the point of it, as it's a challenge but nevermind...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    As the poster above says I don't think you have taken into account Purchasing Power Parity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purchasing_power_parity. When I was in rural Indonesia I bought food out (breakfast, lunch, dinner) everyday for a week for a total of £10....
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well it costs me £6 a day to get the train to work so I guess I'm out.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    As other posters have said you havent taken into account PPP, i mean to get the train to work and back everyday it'd cost me £25 in say Congo you may aswell be walking around in a suit made of gold for that...
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    £1.25 a day.....

99p Strawberry Yazoo + 25 Freddoo bar

About 425 calories, not enough....

But to be honest, it's a lot different in the UK, I get free food everyday nearly. I get free travel sometimes too.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zuqqer)
    Not really the point of it, as it's a challenge but nevermind...
    If you're prepared to eat pasta for a week then it's not actually that difficult. I'm assuming for the sake of that statement that you're excluding housing and electricity from your budget.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds much easier said than done..but it's for a good cause, and it'll probably make others realize just how poverty-stricken people are.

However, won't it have an effect on your health?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    So, a few weeks ago, I had a talk from a lady from ''Free the Children''- a charity that provides a way for children and young adults of the first world countries to help the third world.
    40% (almost 3 Billion people, no biggie...) of the world lives on $2 (£1.25) a day. A DAY. I bought a bottle of Coke today, guess how much it cost me? £1.25.
    So I thought to myself, how much do I live on a day? Could I survive on £1.25 a day? (Including electricity, food, drink, water, transport, heating- bearing in mind that the people who live on £1.25 do NOT have access to free health care or education.) And me being me, I decided to set myself a challenge to live on £1.25 for a week (September 1st- September 7th). Do you think you could live on £1.25 for one day? I've made an event on facebook if anyone wants to join the challenge.
    All the bolded things are FAR cheaper in poor countries than in one of the most expensive countries of the world. Unfair comparison. NEXT!
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    I went 2 weeks in my first year of university only eating lettuce sandwiches..

So that's a loaf of Hovis, one iceberg, butter and mayonnaise, which is pretty darn cheap.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    I went 2 weeks in my first year of university only eating lettuce sandwiches..

So that's a loaf of Hovis, one iceberg, butter and mayonnaise, which is pretty darn cheap.
    Diets are a bitch.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    er, it's £1.25 a day but with much reduced prices as well...
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Including electricity, food, drink, water, transport, heating- bearing in mind that the people who live on £1.25 do NOT have access to free health care or education.)
    Well, this rules me out straight away. I already pay more than that each day on monthly bills, which obviously I can't suspend just for one week for the purposes of this challenge.

However, I would join in to see if I could live on £1.25 per day for food. I know I could 3 years ago, as I had to at uni, but things have risen in price since then. So I will join you and try the challenge, definitely.

To the person who said they'd buy a milkshake and a Freddo: a bag of supermarket value pasta is much cheaper and would last you a couple of days so buy maybe two packs of pasta, some cheap tinned tomatoes, a box of cereal and some veg (whichever is cheap at the time). Perfectly possible. I would drink only water.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i created a very similar thread a couple of days ago if you want to take a look: 'challenge: live healthy for under 1 pound per week'
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    What is the point of this exactly? If you manage to do it, are you going to say that if you can do it, then third world children should be able to do it too? And if you don't manage it, will you realise that everything's more expensive here so it's not really a fair test anyway?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    What is the point of this exactly? If you manage to do it, are you going to say that if you can do it, then third world children should be able to do it too? And if you don't manage it, will you realise that everything's more expensive here so it's not really a fair test anyway?
    I kind of assumed it would be donating the difference to charity.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think it will be ideal to raise the limited amount of money that you can only spend as we are living in the western region of the world, where the price of a can of coke here is a week's worth of food somewhere else.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's doable for food, certainly, as long as you're not too fussy. Bills, I doubt it. I'd offer to try but given I'm in the middle of my dissertation I'm rather attached to my laptop and electricity.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with the whole rent thing

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 9, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.