The Student Room Group

Your Clearing Experiences 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Why you were in Clearing: Rejected by firm and Insurance choices.
Your original course choice: Politics and International Relations
Your Clearing course choice: History
The unis you contacted while in Clearing: Liverpool John Moores University
The outcome: Within half an hour of providing information looking for a course I would enjoy (As they had no Politics courses) and having the most informal, laid back interview ever, I was offered a place on the History course. Absolutely chuffed to pieces and so glad I'm one of the lucky ones who had a relatively stress free experience with clearing :biggrin:
Original post by bexs331
I've literally just joined TSR, thus I am very confused and don't know how to create a thread.

I need some advice.

When I started my A-levels I was predicted CCD, I applied to study psychology at Aberystwyth, Bangor, Dundee, Bedfordshire and Chester, got offers from all, I ended up firming Bangor and insuring Chester. My offer for Bangor was CC, as long as one was in psychology. teachers weren't sure i'd even get CDD, aha. I got ABB. I really love Bangor, my place was confirmed and i've nearly sorted accom and finance is done. People are saying I should go for adjustment but i'm not sure. Apparently it may be better to have a degree from a prestigious uni. What do you guys think?

i think you should.. but then i'm biased- i dropped out of bangor. and a year later i'm headed for the University of Leicester! funny how things work out.

i'm just going to be honest- about 30% of the people i met seemed to be very dissatisfied, particularly with psychology which was the course i was on. the course is very strenuous and most of the work you do seems completely unrelated to the exams, leaving you on your own to figure out some difficult content in preparation for them. plus the massive size of the psychology department has so many disadvantages.

the people who seemed to really fit in at bangor were those who were a little quirky and didn't mind the lack of options socially- i thought i'd be fine in a small town (essentially) but being a sociable type i did end up feeling a little bored of the place. but hey what do i know, you could well love it there, it just depends.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Why you were in Clearing: I didn't meet the requirements for the university and the course I had firmed (I didn't have an insurance as I applied for medicine, got rejected by all four medicine unis and accepted into my biomed uni)
Your original course choice: Biomedical Science at Brunel
Your Clearing course choice: Biomedical Science at Hull university
The unis you contacted while in Clearing: Hull, Bradford, Staffordshire, Nottingham Trent and Aston
The outcome: I got offers from Hull, Bradford and Staffordshire

Just a note, I didn't really like the university I had firmed, and I had looked up universities beforehand because I had a feeling I'd be in clearing. The clearing process really isn't that difficult, and the people I spoke to were very friendly, clear and helpful. I was pretty nervous ringing up and asking for a place, but everything turned out well and now I get to study at university that I had wished I had applied to before, haha.
Reply 23
Original post by bexs331
I've literally just joined TSR, thus I am very confused and don't know how to create a thread.

I need some advice.

When I started my A-levels I was predicted CCD, I applied to study psychology at Aberystwyth, Bangor, Dundee, Bedfordshire and Chester, got offers from all, I ended up firming Bangor and insuring Chester. My offer for Bangor was CC, as long as one was in psychology. teachers weren't sure i'd even get CDD, aha. I got ABB. I really love Bangor, my place was confirmed and i've nearly sorted accom and finance is done. People are saying I should go for adjustment but i'm not sure. Apparently it may be better to have a degree from a prestigious uni. What do you guys think?

If you were applying for maths or something else I would say consider adjustment. Since it's psych you're doing I'd say stick with Bangor. It's what it's known for now and I know plenty of people who do it (I live in Bangor) and they love it! One girl had even higher results than you.. There's no point going somewhere where you wont be as happy just because it's more "reputible". Take into consideration what has also been said though, Bangor isn't the biggest city. It is absolutely beautiful and amazing if you are into outdoor sports, mountains, beaches etc..(and Wales are throwing money at the city right now :P) but it's not going to be as good a night out as most UK cities if you're into getting wasted all the time. The pubs are much more fun than the clubs IMO but there are some. I've met a surprising amout of people who went to Bangor simply because of where it is though.. A fair few who've rejected places from Cambridge etc.. to go here. Personally I think that's mad but it does show that Bangor really does attract a certain kind of person. Whether that's you I cannot say :P Good luck.
Reply 24
My extra choice changed my course so I rejected the totally random course that they suggested
English and Creative Writing
Ancient and Medieval History
I only contacted Uni of Wales, Trinity Saint David as I had seen this course and immediately fallen in love with it
They made me a verbal offer there and then on the phone, I had the option to do an english course similar to the one Id applied for though I decided something new would be good so I chose the history course instead. I had rubbish grades and still got in there so even if your grades i useless i recommend trying clearing
Reply 25
Why you were in Clearing:
I couldn't find my original certificates and found them 3 days before clearing finished
:eek:
Your original course choice:
Counselling and Psychology or Social Work
Your Clearing course choice:
Counselling and Psychology or Social Work
The unis you contacted while in Clearing:
University of Bradford and Bradford College
The outcome:
I completed and submitted my UCAS application at 11am, got my clearing number through at around 1pm, rang University of Bradford who advised they had no places (panic panic) - rang Bradford College who advised they didn't have places but would make them if they found suitable enough candidates. I arranged to have a telephone interview at 4pm - and was offered a place by 4:45pm :biggrin: wooo! I'm going to uniiii in sept!!

I was panicky about ringing up places and asking - but it worked out better than originally planned, so go for it!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
Why you were in Clearing: I didn't meet the grade requirements that Lancaster wanted. I got BBC and they wanted ABB. Plus Lancaster was my only conditional offer, all the others that I chose rejected me despite the fact that I got the requirements for all off them except one (Edinburgh).
Your original course choice: English Language and German
Your Clearing course choice: English and German (It wasn't specific as to whether it was Language or Literature but despite it being Literature, the university allowed me to change to Language during the enrolment week.
The unis you contacted while in Clearing: Honestly, I don't quite remember. There were so many for just English or just German but hardly any for both. Swansea was my saving grace.
The outcome: I made Swansea University my clearing choice as they were the only ones that offered the course I wanted, they asked me for my details and my grades and a few days later they accepted me.
Why you were in Clearing: I left my nursing degree and had to use UCAS to change subjects within the same university.
Your original course choice: Biomedical Science, however by the time my referee bothered to read her emails and send my reference, this course had closed.
Your Clearing course choice: Applied Bioscience.
The outcome: I was rejected in Clearing because the course was already full when the university invited me to add the choice. Annoyed and put out by this, but I'm applying for a CertHE instead, in order to apply to a better university for 2013.
Why you were in Clearing: Didn't meet the grades for firm or insurance.
Your original course choice: Optometry at Anglia Ruskin for firm, Orthoptics at Liverpool for insurance
Your Clearing course choice: Radiography and radiotherapy.
The unis you contacted while in Clearing: Liverpool, Cumbria, Canterbury, UWE, LSBU.
The outcome: Nada. (Liverpool messed up somewhere along the way (my application never made it to the admissions tutors, and they had seemed my best shot). Retaking A-levels at a local college.
Original post by arabcnesbit
Why you were in Clearing:Made a late decision that I wanted to go to university so didn't apply through UCAS
Your original course choice: Looking to do Civil Engineering at Dundee
Your Clearing course choice:Still Dundee since I can't really relocate due to personal commitments
The unis you contacted while in Clearing:Only Dundee, if I don't get in through clearing I'll just wait until next year
The outcome:Still waiting to hear, was told I had to apply through their online form, this was on Thursday, contacted them again on Friday and was told I should hear by 5pm that day or by Monday. Been a long weekend.

Did you get in?
Reply 30
Why you were in Clearing: Didn't get into firm (Sheffield), didn't like insurance (Leeds) and change of heart regarding course
Your original course choice: Philosophy
Your Clearing course choice: History
The unis you contacted while in Clearing: Stirling, Aberdeen
The outcome: Offers from both, chose Aberdeen as the course and city seemed more appealing. Clearing was a lot more straightforward an experience than I was expecting! I had initially decided I wouldn't go through clearing no matter what, but it's always could to go through the available options, even if you don't get what you initially wanted (I had my heart set on going to Sheffield - clearing was literally a last minute decision)
Reply 31
Why you were in Clearing: I rejected my insurance and missed my firm by 80 points :frown:
Your original course choice: History
Your Clearing course choice: Anything in Humanities
The unis you contacted while in Clearing: Nottingham Trent ( only one I want to be at)!
The outcome: Still trying with clearing... they need 220, i have 180 points :/ but i'm hoping they might lower it at some point? :/ if not, it's back to 6th form for me to take some BTECs to up my points and to retake my History A Level :frown: Year 14 here i come!
Reply 32
Hi could any one help me.
I did not meet the grades required for my firm or insurance and therefore went through clearing.
I called up a few unis and coventry which was one of them gave me an offer and i accepted it on the stop because i was panicking.
However over the last week i have realised its not where i want to go and am not really happy, i was wondering if i could ring up other unis and if they offer me a place is it possible to withdraw from coventry?

Many thanks
Original post by jordzm2
Hi could any one help me.
I did not meet the grades required for my firm or insurance and therefore went through clearing.
I called up a few unis and coventry which was one of them gave me an offer and i accepted it on the stop because i was panicking.
However over the last week i have realised its not where i want to go and am not really happy, i was wondering if i could ring up other unis and if they offer me a place is it possible to withdraw from coventry?

Many thanks

Ring coventry first, ask them to release you back into clearing.
Then ring the others.
Reply 34
Why you were in Clearing: I got ACCD instead of BBB so I had to go for clearing.

Your original course choice: Economics with Management Science

Your Clearing course choice: Economics and Management Studies

The unis you contacted while in Clearing: University of Aberdeen, Dundee, Strathclyde, Edinburgh and Glasgow and Heriott Watt and Edinburgh Napier.

The outcome: I first called Edinburgh as they were my firm to see if they had anything, they didnt pick up so I called Aberdeen and got an offer in 2 mins on the phone, should have just applied to Aberdeen in the first place, I dont know why I didnt, its a great looking university and the course if perfect now that I have had a second look.
Reply 35
Why you were in Clearing: Rejected by Firm; didn't want to go to my insurance in the end.
Your original course choice: Physical Geography + History DH (Geography SH was my insurance course).
Your Clearing course choice: Physical Geography Single Hons
The unis you contacted while in Clearing: Hull, Aberystwyth, Stirling, Exeter, Glamorgan & Edge Hill
The outcome: Starting Physical Geography at Aberystwyth University in September - just waiting on an accommodation place.

Really happy they accepted me, especially when they wanted a C at Geography A-level and I got a D.

It came as a shock, because I had my heart set on my firm (Keele). So I was initially going to just do another year.

I'm actually relieved I'm going to a University this year; and not going back to my dreaded 6th form again.
(edited 11 years ago)
Why you were in Clearing: Firm rejected me, I rejected my insurance (didn't feel like the right course for me anymore) after snooping around unis and getting a verbal offer from leeds met.
Your original course choice: Medical physiology at leicester (firm) and Medical science at oxford brookes (insurance).
Your Clearing course choice: BB12 biomedical science with physiology/pharmacology at leeds metropolitan
The unis you contacted while in Clearing: Liverpool, leicester and manchester didn't want me as my grades were too low (BBC). Leeds met gave me a verbal offer on the phone.
The outcome: The best possible actually. I originally wanted to be at a university in Leeds, but chose leicester as my firm as I wasn't sure I'd get the grades for leeds uni. In a way, I'm glad I got rejected from leicester, I'm less than an hour away from home and about to attend a university in one of the best cities for nightlife in england. Also, the course is perfect for me! So clearing really isn't that bad if you keep a cool head and prepare for entering it before getting your results.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Did you get in?

I originally applied for the MEng which needed AABB and I had ABBBC and they told me I didn't meet the entrance requirements. I then reapplied for the BEng which needed ABBB which I have but because I'm a mature student they asked what recent study or training I've done.

I told them that I've been tutoring my cousins through their Highers this year so my maths and physics are pretty fresh again but I'm now awaiting their decision.

In the meantime I've applied to do an HNC if I don't get in but all the local colleges are full and the only college that has any sort of a relevent subject for me to study and has a place is a 50 minute drive away.

Hoping I'll get a definite answer from Dundee tomorrow cause it's been dragging on for over a week now. I get the impression they're just waiting to see if they can fill the place with someone who's done their exams a bit more recently and if they can't then I might get the place.

Fingers crossed.
Reply 38
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Ring coventry first, ask them to release you back into clearing.
Then ring the others.

cheers
Why you were in Clearing: Rough first year at uni went in for resit on Monday came out knowing i'd failed it and didn't want to resit a year i hadn't really enjoyed all that much
Your original course choice: Foundation Studies leading on to Chemistry
Your Clearing course choice: MChem Chemistry
The unis you contacted while in Clearing: Manchester Met
The outcome: Successful got a place at Man Met come September :biggrin:

Rang them up Monday at half 4 with my grades and everything and was told they'd be happy to accept me as i had exactly the requirements (sometimes general studies DOES come in useful boosted my ucas points by 40) and to fill in a ucas application as soon as possible and put in the course code through clearing. So I spent the evening putting all my details into ucas but had no clue about a personal statement, decided after a stressful day the best idea was sleep and to write it in the morning, got up at around 6 and managed to write a decent personal statement in 2 and a half hours. Then spent till around 2pm trying to get in touch with them to tell them I'd struggle to get a reference at such short notice and ask if they'd be willing to accept it without a reference. When i finally got through they said yes and so i got it all sent off to then find ucas had to post me my log in details. Frustrated I let it go and got on with the rest of the day. The next morning i woke up and tried the "I've forgotten my log in details" and got them sent to me in an email. So I put them in and finally felt like I was getting somewhere. I then spent the next day and a half waiting to hear back from them in which time I'd rang and asked if they had any idea how long it would take and was told to just be patient. Yesterday afternoon i was asked to scan and email copies of my results as they weren't showing up on ucas so they could accept my place which I did and 3 hours later they emailed me thanking me and telling me they'd accepted me on track!

Glad I used the "forgot log in details" thing on ucas because i've still not received post off them annoyingly!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending