The Student Room Group

Your Clearing Experiences 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by missevangeline
Why you were in Clearing: Rough first year at uni went in for resit on Monday came out knowing i'd failed it and didn't want to resit a year i hadn't really enjoyed all that much
Your original course choice: Foundation Studies leading on to Chemistry
Your Clearing course choice: MChem Chemistry
The unis you contacted while in Clearing: Manchester Met
The outcome: Successful got a place at Man Met come September :biggrin:

Rang them up Monday at half 4 with my grades and everything and was told they'd be happy to accept me as i had exactly the requirements (sometimes general studies DOES come in useful boosted my ucas points by 40) and to fill in a ucas application as soon as possible and put in the course code through clearing. So I spent the evening putting all my details into ucas but had no clue about a personal statement, decided after a stressful day the best idea was sleep and to write it in the morning, got up at around 6 and managed to write a decent personal statement in 2 and a half hours. Then spent till around 2pm trying to get in touch with them to tell them I'd struggle to get a reference at such short notice and ask if they'd be willing to accept it without a reference. When i finally got through they said yes and so i got it all sent off to then find ucas had to post me my log in details. Frustrated I let it go and got on with the rest of the day. The next morning i woke up and tried the "I've forgotten my log in details" and got them sent to me in an email. So I put them in and finally felt like I was getting somewhere. I then spent the next day and a half waiting to hear back from them in which time I'd rang and asked if they had any idea how long it would take and was told to just be patient. Yesterday afternoon i was asked to scan and email copies of my results as they weren't showing up on ucas so they could accept my place which I did and 3 hours later they emailed me thanking me and telling me they'd accepted me on track!

Glad I used the "forgot log in details" thing on ucas because i've still not received post off them annoyingly!

Sweet well done! Im off to the MMU MChem too this sept ^^
Why you were in Clearing: freaked up my a levels, was predicted A* A B and got ACD :frown:
Your original course choice: University of Manchester Mchem chemistry
Your Clearing course choice: MChem chemistry in manchester met
The unis you contacted while in Clearing: University of Manchester.....repeatedly....basically saying "PPLLLEAAAASSEEEE" and sobbing down the phone :P but to no avail! Met seemed happy to have me though so the 'ol ego has been given a much needed boost :P
The outcome: Going to the Met this September for MChem! ^^
Reply 42
Why you were in Clearing: was predicted BBB, but got A* A C, so I choose to go to clearing at a university I would of applied to if I had been predicted A* A C - I always wanted to go leeds but didnt have the grades!

Your original course choice: Psychology

Your Clearing course choice: Psychology

The unis you contacted while in Clearing: University of leeds

The outcome: Got a place a Leeds for sept 2012, now just worried about accommodation!!
Original post by arabcnesbit

Fingers crossed.

My fingers are crossed for you too! :smile:
Reply 44
I got in to Aston through clearing studying Business and International Relations, accommodation allocation and clearing acceptance was sorted all in one day. Very helpful staff :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Alexandra's Box
My fingers are crossed for you too! :smile:

Well I got my answer and it was a big fat UNSUCCESSFUL :frown:

They said my qualifications aren't recent enough but they encourage me to apply to a summer school programme they run next year. Problem being they don't allow access to the course I want to do through this summer school.

Still waiting to here from the colleges I applied to in the middle of no where about whether they have any places left on their HNC courses but one is in Engineering Systems and the other in Electrical Engineering but I don't know whether either of them have enough maths content to get me onto the degree I want to do.

All in all not great. Thinking maybe I can do an OU course and use that as well as my "ancient qualifications" and reapply next year. Who Knows?
Why you were in Clearing:missed grades by a lonnng way
Your original course choice: manchester mech eng
Your Clearing course choice: UWE mech eng
The unis you contacted while in Clearing: Swansea, oxford brookes, UWE, plymouth, Greenwich, winchester, Gloucestershire and around 2 more
The outcome: got offers from every single one of them

edit : why the hell am i being negged for my success?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by arabcnesbit
Well I got my answer and it was a big fat UNSUCCESSFUL :frown:

They said my qualifications aren't recent enough but they encourage me to apply to a summer school programme they run next year. Problem being they don't allow access to the course I want to do through this summer school.

Still waiting to here from the colleges I applied to in the middle of no where about whether they have any places left on their HNC courses but one is in Engineering Systems and the other in Electrical Engineering but I don't know whether either of them have enough maths content to get me onto the degree I want to do.

All in all not great. Thinking maybe I can do an OU course and use that as well as my "ancient qualifications" and reapply next year. Who Knows?

Oh sorry, that is really unlucky. I hope it all works out for you! Doing a new qualification now sounds pretty good.
You always hear about 'mature students' being able to enter university at any age whatever they have done but it seems to be getting more and more restrictive. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Oh sorry, that is really unlucky. I hope it all works out for you! Doing a new qualification now sounds pretty good.
You always hear about 'mature students' being able to enter university at any age whatever they have done but it seems to be getting more and more restrictive. Good luck! :smile:

Yeah thanks, I hope so to. I think it depends on the University and the different departments how stringent they are on mature students. I could study my course at another university but I can't really relocate and I wouldn't really feel happy about having to pay fees at the sort of universities I could walk straight into.

No disrespect to the people who have worked hard to get in to these Uni's but at this stage in my life I'd be giving up a good job, car, home etc and so I'd need to be able to tell myself that it would be worth it.

I hadn't really planned on going to uni this year and the courses that I wanted to do weren't in clearing. I was told that they wouldn't be when the Scottish results came out and that the A level results wouldn't have any bearing on places for Scottish students due to all the different funding rules, but somehow after the A level results came out Dundee University had my course in clearing and I thought it was worth having a go.

Also if I studied in England because I have had some previous funding when I was younger I'd have to pay the full £9k or whatever and wouldn't get a loan to cover it so even if I could move it just wouldn't be an option.

I suppose now that I've had a bit of time to digest it all, it wouldn't really be fair if they gave a place to me this year and it had cost someone who had worked hard for their exams this year their place.

I think hopefully if I can bolster my qualifications this year by doing a course at college or through the OU then I can apply properly next year and I'm kind of lucky that there are a lot of really good engineering departments in Scotland so hopefully I'll get in to one of them next year.

Anyway, thanks for your support and good luck with your own exams next year.
I sort of used clearing but didn't...

Why you were in Clearing: I had confirmed an offer at Leeds Trinity, but had always wanted to go Plymouth but kept getting rejected, a friend called me up and told me there were vacancies still on the course and to give it a shot. And for reason this time round i got in through direct entry by speaking one on one with the admissions tutor of the course :smile:

Your original course choice: English and media studies

Your Clearing course choice: English and creative writing

The unis you contacted while in Clearing: Plymouth

The outcome: Waiting for my confirmation email off Plymouth, and managed to hold a room down in Halls from a person dropping out. :smile: Hopefully process will be fast so i can get there already!
Reply 50
Why you were in Clearing: No longer wanted to study at chosen institutes. Declined all my offers prior to results day.
Your original course choice: Biology
Your Clearing course choice: Biology
The unis you contacted while in Clearing: University of York
The outcome: Quick phone interview regarding personal statement etc. Verbal acceptance over the phone. Added into UCAS track. Overall, a very positive experience :smile:
Reply 51
i recently just applied for social work at bedfordshire uni through clearing, they have invited me for a selection day and im very nervous about the written task that we have to do before the interview even though it was given to me via email.Any one been through this process and how did it go ?? and do they pick you on the day ????????
Reply 52
Why you were in Clearing: Missed my firm (new it would happen) and my insurance (completely gobsmacked) They kept me waiting for a good 9 hours and I really did think i'd get in, because so many of my friends got in with 2/3 grades lower and I had only dropped a grade in an irrelevent subject. Now that I think about it I should have got it remarked -.-

Your original course choice: Biomedical Science a Manchester and Reading

Your Clearing course choice: Biomedical Science

The unis you contacted while in Clearing: Brighton, Hull, Liverpool, Newcastle, Plymouth, Kent

The outcome: Made a rushed decision and got Brighton without really thinking about it :/ Visited the other week and I didn't like it too much. I've not no accom so I'm renting a house with people I don't know, having to pay bills and such. Not looking forward to this "freshers" experience at all :frown: All my friends are talking about who is in what halls and such. I tried to tell my parents I wanted to re-apply but they didn;t have any of it. Going to transfer if I don't like the place and the course. All in all Results day and Clearing was horrible
Reply 53
Why you were in Clearing: Didn't get my firm offer, missed it by about a grade. Didn't want my insurance offer. Got an A in Maths, C in Physics (very high C though)
Your original course choice: Space Technology and Planetary Exploration (Electrical Engineering) at Surrey, Aerospace at Hertfordshire
Your Clearing course choice: Maths, Physics
The unis you contacted while in Clearing: Maths at Lancaster, Physics at York
The outcome: Both accepted me, both were the ones I originally applied for at uni, both were unsuccessful the first time, and the York course was the exact course I applied for first time. I chose York. :biggrin:

Original post by YB101
Why you were in Clearing: Missed my firm (new it would happen) and my insurance (completely gobsmacked) They kept me waiting for a good 9 hours and I really did think i'd get in, because so many of my friends got in with 2/3 grades lower and I had only dropped a grade in an irrelevent subject. Now that I think about it I should have got it remarked -.-

Your original course choice: Biomedical Science a Manchester and Reading

Your Clearing course choice: Biomedical Science

The unis you contacted while in Clearing: Brighton, Hull, Liverpool, Newcastle, Plymouth, Kent

The outcome: Made a rushed decision and got Brighton without really thinking about it :/ Visited the other week and I didn't like it too much. I've not no accom so I'm renting a house with people I don't know, having to pay bills and such. Not looking forward to this "freshers" experience at all :frown: All my friends are talking about who is in what halls and such. I tried to tell my parents I wanted to re-apply but they didn;t have any of it. Going to transfer if I don't like the place and the course. All in all Results day and Clearing was horrible

Take a year out, resit if you must, have a proper think. Don't go to a university you aren't sure about... I did this first time, and it didn't go well. Ended up just dropping out and resitting, best decision I took!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by samjj8
Why you were in Clearing: Didn't get my firm offer, missed it by about a grade. Didn't want my insurance offer. Got an A in Maths, C in Physics (very high C though)
Your original course choice: Space Technology and Planetary Exploration (Electrical Engineering) at Surrey, Aerospace at Hertfordshire
Your Clearing course choice: Maths, Physics
The unis you contacted while in Clearing: Maths at Lancaster, Physics at York
The outcome: Both accepted me, both were the ones I originally applied for at uni, both were unsuccessful the first time, and the York course was the exact course I applied for first time. I chose York. :biggrin:

Take a year out, resit if you must, have a proper think. Don't go to a university you aren't sure about... I did this first time, and it didn't go well. Ended up just dropping out and resitting, best decision I took!

I really really want to :frown: You don't understand how much I want to but my parents are so against it. I told them this is what I wanted to do but they gave me a massive lecture and it's hard to fight against your own parents :frown: If worse comes to worse I'll transfer or drop out, but I really can't do anything now because we've put down the tenancy agreement for the house and such. I just don't understand why they are so against me doing so, if anything it would be best for myself AND my parents. They are putting so much effort and money into me going to this university that I don't feel it is worth it at all. It's not where I want to be at all :'(
Reply 55
Why you were in Clearing: Missed my firm offer (Westminster) and rejected my insurance choice (Middlesex).

Your original course choice: Marketing Communcations

Your Clearing course choice:
Marketing, Computing, Business information systems, Advertising

The unis you contacted while in Clearing: Goldsmiths, Roehampton, Westminster, Kingston, Kent, Essex, Uni of the Arts

The outcome: Received 5 offers from 3 unis- (2 from) Westminster, (2 from) Roehampton and one from Uni of the Arts. Decided to go with doing Business Information Systems at Westminster (my original firm choice)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 56
Original post by YB101
I really really want to :frown: You don't understand how much I want to but my parents are so against it. I told them this is what I wanted to do but they gave me a massive lecture and it's hard to fight against your own parents :frown: If worse comes to worse I'll transfer or drop out, but I really can't do anything now because we've put down the tenancy agreement for the house and such. I just don't understand why they are so against me doing so, if anything it would be best for myself AND my parents. They are putting so much effort and money into me going to this university that I don't feel it is worth it at all. It's not where I want to be at all :'(

But it's not their decision at all. It's not their life. They can give you all the lectures in the world, they can say anything they can to make you go, but they can't make you go to university this year if you don't want to.

Speak to connexions: - They would give you advice, it's free and confidential (it's a phone line, and they will probably ask you to come into the nearest office if they have one, which is really helpful). There is nothing wrong with taking a year out, it's not shunned upon, to take resits, earn money ect. It's a very popular choice.
(edited 11 years ago)
Why you were in Clearing: I had to self fund my first year and the £9000 was putting me off as it wasn't the most reputable course or University
Your original course choice: Psychology at Cardiff Met
Your Clearing course choice: Mental health nursing
The unis you contacted while in Clearing: Cardiff
The outcome:
I got in :biggrin: after an interview, math and literacy exam and a load of forms :biggrin: so happy!!
I've had a rather unique experience through clearing! I got 180 UCAS points so was declined at my firm and I declined my insurance as I didn't want to go there!

I'm a rather nervous phone speaker so I never rang any universities up, but I sent an E-mail to leeds met asking about their course that I wanted to get on (I needed 240 UCAS points) and I ended up getting a place in clearence there today!

So I managed to get on a 240 point course with 180 points without having to make a single phone call. I'm definitely not complaining, I'm overjoyed! Just thought it was rather strange though!
Reply 59
Why you were in Clearing: Missed both my firm and insurance. Found out when my insurance emailed me at 7:40am telling me I hadnt met their requirements and telling me that I probably had no chance with my firm choice either. I hadn't even considered checking track, so the email ruined it for me and caused me to cry my eyes out :frown: (didnt even know that universities were allowed to contact you about this sort of thing before UCAS Track officially opened!!) :mad:

Your original course choice: History

Your Clearing course choice: History

The unis you contacted while in Clearing: goldsmiths, kent, westminster, and i've forgotten the rest :tongue:

The outcome: got an uni place!!! :biggrin: and i'm really happy about it! Visited the uni and I surprisingly loved it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending