The Student Room Group

Hi :D

I need some advice about Uni :/ :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Be more specific...
And the award for the most vague thread goes to....

Seriously though, what do you need to know?
Reply 3
No, you probably won't lose your virginity during freshers week.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
I'm currently studying 3 A levels, English Lit, Moving Image Arts and ICT.
The main two Universities that I am hoping to apply for are Queens and Trinity. I can understand the Queens regulations on how to get in, but I am completely confused with Trinity's.:s-smilie:

I am hoping to study English Lit with Philosophy in Trinity. However the points I need to get in have to be/between 525-570! That sounds really hardcore! Is the awarding of points to grades different in Ireland or are they they same as in the U.K? If so, would I not need to have another AS under my belt? I am aware that they have a different education system.

I have all the other grades that are needed to apply, such as a gcse in a different language, pass in english including maths. However another main concern is that my ICT is an OCR LEVEL 3 NATIONAL CERTIFICATE. My teachers have told me that my work is at a Distinction level which is the equivalent to an A so next year I need to keep up the work so I can get an overall Distinction. However, I have been told that some Uni's do not considerate this as an A Level. So I automatically presume that this is going to decrease my chances even more getting into Trinity?

I await my AS results which are out next Thursday. Should I consider taking on another AS come September along with my other three A levels?

The other course I am aiming for is in Queen's (English lit and creative writing). The grades needed to get into that are ABB. But my main goal is Dublin, and right now I feel as if I have no chance :frown:

My moving image teacher told me that when she assessed my work I was at a high B low A. If I did outstanding in my exam then I could perhaps achieve a solid A. I am also predicted for a B in English. But all of this could change. It was only the teacher's POV I heard; not the examiners. I can't be certain of anything until I get my results.
The exam system is different in Ireland, which you know. They do more exams in their final year, at least six. Each exam grade will mean a certain number of points. There are two levels, Ordinary and Foundation. This may be why they ask for over 500 points. (The highest grade on a Higher, A1, earns 100 points, whereas A1 in Ordinary is 60 points).

http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergraduate/requirements/matriculation/gcse/ (This is from their website, I hope this clears things up a bit for you. Good luck!!)
Reply 6
Matriculation requirements: GCSE/Advanced GCE (A-Level)

To be considered for admission to the University you must:

Present six subjects at grade C or above on GCSE or Advanced Subsidiary GCE (AS) papers. Two of these subjects must be at grade C or above on Advanced GCE (A-Level) papers.

The six subjects above must include:

A pass in English

A pass in mathematics and a pass in a language other than English

Yes I'll be able to do this but look:

An applicant's score will be calculated on the basis of either of the following:

their best 4 GCE Advanced level (A2) subjects from one academic year
or

their best 3 GCE Advanced level (A2) subjects from one academic year plus one Advanced Subsidiary level (AS) in a different subject from the same or the preceding academic year only. I'm only studying 3. I guess I'm going to have to look into doing another AS.

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by GingerJoshua
Matriculation requirements: GCSE/Advanced GCE (A-Level)

To be considered for admission to the University you must:

Present six subjects at grade C or above on GCSE or Advanced Subsidiary GCE (AS) papers. Two of these subjects must be at grade C or above on Advanced GCE (A-Level) papers.

The six subjects above must include:

A pass in English

A pass in mathematics and a pass in a language other than English

Yes I'll be able to do this but look:

An applicant's score will be calculated on the basis of either of the following:

their best 4 GCE Advanced level (A2) subjects from one academic year
or

their best 3 GCE Advanced level (A2) subjects from one academic year plus one Advanced Subsidiary level (AS) in a different subject from the same or the preceding academic year only. I'm only studying 3. I guess I'm going to have to look into doing another AS.

Yeah, this looks like the case. It's not too bad, I'm sure plenty of people do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending