The Student Room Group

Career options with ICT?

I'm thinking of studying ICT in college because I'm horrible at science and maths.. I'm good at english, i.t and media so I'm deciding to follow that path..
what career options are avaliable if I do do ICT and if I also study it in university? what other courses can I combine ICT with at college to get a strong career option? thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by foreverT
I'm thinking of studying ICT in college because I'm horrible at science and maths.. I'm good at english, i.t and media so I'm deciding to follow that path..
what career options are avaliable if I do do ICT and if I also study it in university? what other courses can I combine ICT with at college to get a strong career option? thank you.

There are numerous courses that offer some variant on ICT / Computer Science and can lead to a variety of careers. You can go into programming which is fairly technical and may require you to do some maths if you're looking at a top uni for Computer Science.

Alternatively you could look at something like network support / installation which is a more practical option.

A third route could be something like a combined business / ICT degree - I'm not an expert on this so I suggest you google for it or check courses on UCAS.
Reply 2
Would you consider yourself a bit of a geek? There are a few courses you can get on that don't have as much programming or a lot of maths. Computer forensics is one (I currently study) or you could go down the media route, so web development etc.

It is totally about how much effort you are willing to put in. I'm lucky I enjoy programming and do really well in my course (VAIN I know), however there a still a few that don't really enjoy programming yet are more than happy on the course.

I would however advice you that if you do anything that branches off Comp Sci, you are going to be expected to program in industry. This is where multimedia computing etc slot in, these cover the basics of computing. From operating systems to hardware etc. Yet you are not really expected to develop a large system when you leave to work.

Saying that I might be contradicting myself in saying web development (even if it is just html/jscript) is programming. And for multimedia you really need those under your belt.

Hope that helps a little =D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending