The Student Room Group

New toy - '74 Jaguar XJ6-L

Finally had some decent-ish weather today, eh?

We've had this car about a week but I only just got around to getting some decent pictures of it.

It's a '74 Jaguar XJ6 series 2 long wheel base.
Engine is a 4.2 litre straight six mated to a 3 speed automatic.

Jaguar were kind enough to fit it with two full sized fuel tanks which is useful as it's burning through it at about 16mpg with relitively gently driving.
Can't believe it's taken me so long to get one of these. My earliest memory as a child is sitting in the front passenger seat of my Grandfathers 'Daimlerised' series 2 XJ6 soveriegn and staring at the patterns in the grain of the walnut dashboard.

I guess this is the make / model that got me into classic cars in the first place so it brings back quite a few happy memories. :biggrin:
We're using it every day at the moment.
The photo's were taken in high sun - it's actually a dark blue colour not black as it seems in some of the pictures and it was factory fitted with a vinyl roof.
Somewhat unbelievably it has electric windows all round, power steering, air conditioning and climate controll. Not bad for 1974, eh!

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
wow. just wow.
Reply 2
I don't think I've yet found a 'long wheel base' version of a model that I like as much as the standard. The LSE version of the original Range Rover is the same, the standard wheelbase version has much better proportions.

That said, it does look like rather a nice toy :tongue:
Reply 3
Very nice car, my Grandad has had a Series II (I think) Daimler double six since I was little and it the wooden dash was indeed very hypnotising. :smile:
Reply 4
Looks fantastic.
Reply 5
Beauty!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT26i
Reply 6
Wow, this is very strange - my mate has just bought one exactly like this, except it is red! 1974, long wheelbase, 4.2 straight 6!

£900 it cost him I think, needs new rear shocks but still rides amazingly well.

Congratulations on the new purchase :smile:
Reply 7
Nice.
Beautiful, Fella.

Quick Reply

Latest