Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I do this?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'm a Welsh Student who's going to study CompSci at Aberystwyth University in September.

I've been promising myself a new computer which will probably come to around £650 for all the parts, as a treat for the hard work over the previous two years.

But I was wondering whether it's possible?

Has anyone else here made a big purchase after they've gone into Uni, and how did you deal with it?

Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by number_25)
    Hey guys,

I'm a Welsh Student who's going to study CompSci at Aberystwyth University in September.

I've been promising myself a new computer which will probably come to around £650 for all the parts, as a treat for the hard work over the previous two years.

But I was wondering whether it's possible?

Has anyone else here made a big purchase after they've gone into Uni, and how did you deal with it?

Thanks
    What's the issue at question?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Whether spending £650 is feasible.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well maybe you should tell us where this £650 would be coming from? I.e student loan, savings etc. Then we can give you an answer
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Oh, sorry - just read over what I said - pretty vague stuff.

It'll be from student loans.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh, sorry - just read over what I said - pretty vague stuff.

It'll be from student loans.
    Depends on your lifestyle. I, for example am willing to spend all my money on a computer and not go out for the rest of my life. Depends on how much you need/want it. Depends how much cash you've got at your disposal.

Personally, I would.

Well, I wouldn't spend 650, you can get a very decent refurb for 400-500. But in the end of the day, it depends on your very own personal factors.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well it's be self-built and should last me at least 5 years.

I might purchase it over the year I'm there, spread it out a little.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well it's be self-built and should last me at least 5 years.

I might purchase it over the year I'm there, spread it out a little.
    Self built should work out cheaper bro. Unless you're going crazy on a i7 or a bulldozer and SSDs :dontknow:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe wait until christmas. See how much money you have left after your first loan?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamimi)
    Self built should work out cheaper bro. Unless you're going crazy on a i7 or a bulldozer and SSDs :dontknow:
    That made me laugh.

It's a machine which will last me a few years to say the least, 3770k with Z77X-D3H so I can crossfire my 6950's when the time comes that I really need to.

Most people say go with the 3570k if you're going for gaming, but with hyperthreading the i7 will probably last me a hell of a lot longer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That made me laugh.

It's a machine which will last me a few years to say the least, 3770k with Z77X-D3H so I can crossfire my 6950's when the time comes that I really need to.

Most people say go with the 3570k if you're going for gaming, but with hyperthreading the i7 will probably last me a hell of a lot longer.
    I think you misunderstood what I meant by Bulldozer. I'm not that funny. (See link below).
    i7 is great, really is, but it's also horribly overpriced. I'm pro-AMD but that's just down to personal preference. I'm not rich enough for Intel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldoz...oarchitecture)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamimi)
    I think you misunderstood what I meant by Bulldozer. I'm not that funny. (See link below).
    i7 is great, really is, but it's also horribly overpriced. I'm pro-AMD but that's just down to personal preference. I'm not rich enough for Intel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldoz...oarchitecture)
    Still funny
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Bulldozer is a horrible piece of architecture.

I hope to be-jesus that Piledriver kicks on a bit otherwise Intel will have no main competitor.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: August 8, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.