The Student Room Group

Is it easy to add petrol? Also first time driving by myself. (I'm **** scared)

Ok, so I have my car and I need to go fill it up, and I have no clue on how to do it. The car takes unleaded petrol.

I'm guessing to fill up, take off the petrol fuel line, insert it into the car's petrol tank, fully inserted. press down the button, when I'm done filling up, let go of the button and hang the petrol fuel line back up?

It's going to be my first time driving, by myself since I passed my test last month. I've got to do all of this, get the exhaust wielded to quieten the noise the exhaust pumps out, check the tyres for boldness, go to an auto shop and get new windscreen wipers..

Now I'm also feeling really nervous, does anyone have any tips. :rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unless you go to a pay-at-pump garage, then you do as you thought.
My daughter just recently passed her test and filled up for the first time. She did fine, but the £67 came as a shock.
Reply 2
Thanks, I feel slightly better now, just slightly..

Does anyone know how much I could be looking at paying to get the exhaust wielded to stop it from letting out so much noise? I don't wanna get ripped off. Also say four new tyres... looking at £15 each I'm guessing?

thanks
Reply 3
£15? You're in for a treat! lol

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
How much for each Tyre!
Reply 5
Original post by TrueUnitedFan
How much for each Tyre!

How long is a piece of string?

It all depends on size and type, brand, and where you get them fitted.
Reply 6
coool. I'll go shop around.
i dont believe this for a second. How old are you 17, 18, 19,?

And youve never once observed in all those years how a petrol pump works? Bull
Reply 8
Don't worry, filling up is easy:

[video="youtube;Gs9LvmPlJ98"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs9LvmPlJ98[/video]
Reply 9
Thanks, I feel slightly better now, just slightly..

Does anyone know how much I could be looking at paying to get the exhaust wielded to stop it from letting out so much noise? I don't wanna get ripped off. Also say four new tyres... looking at £15 each I'm guessing?

thanks

I assume you mean welded ? I don't know how much that will cost. That might depend on what work they actually need to do.

When I asked about tyres a while ago for my car replacements were likely to cost around £50 each and that's for a cheaper option (good for low mileage but not for higher mileage). The things I've heard of to check for on tyres are the tread depth (there should be at least 2mm of tread) and the condition of the types (the rubber shouldn't be breaking up which might happen if the tyres are older and havn't worn out)

In terms of where to go it's worth asking around local people to see where they've found to be good. An honest garage should tell you what needs doing and what might be worth doing (and when).

The MOT on your car should give some idea of whether things like the tyres need replacing.
Original post by silverbolt

I'm 18. I've been many times to a petrol station in my brother's car to fill up on petrol but i've never got out of the car to observe how they do it.

Why would I post a thread like this If I'm not being serious? That would be a very sad thing to do, so sorry, I do have a life....
Ok, so I have my car and I need to go fill it up, and I have no clue on how to do it. The car takes unleaded petrol.

I'm guessing to fill up, take off the petrol fuel line, insert it into the car's petrol tank, fully inserted. press down the button, when I'm done filling up, let go of the button and hang the petrol fuel line back up?

It's going to be my first time driving, by myself since I passed my test last month. I've got to do all of this, get the exhaust wielded to quieten the noise the exhaust pumps out, check the tyres for boldness, go to an auto shop and get new windscreen wipers..

The filling up operation is pretty much as you said.

You forgot to ask "how do I know when to stop". The pumps have pressure sensors that will cut off the fuel supply when your tank is full - just make sure the nozzle is inside the tube which goes into the tank. Another answer is that you stop when the cots is about to exceed your budget :smile:

You should also be aware that most pumps (in my area anyway) involve filling up and then paying inside the building, but a few require a credit card swipe before they will deliver any fuel.

Finally, DO NOT put diesel in a petrol tank or vice versa.

Good luck with the driving!
Reply 12
I have never even heard about static electricity ..
Original post by mfaxford
I assume you mean welded ? I don't know how much that will cost. That might depend on what work they actually need to do.

When I asked about tyres a while ago for my car replacements were likely to cost around £50 each and that's for a cheaper option (good for low mileage but not for higher mileage). The things I've heard of to check for on tyres are the tread depth (there should be at least 2mm of tread) and the condition of the types (the rubber shouldn't be breaking up which might happen if the tyres are older and havn't worn out)

In terms of where to go it's worth asking around local people to see where they've found to be good. An honest garage should tell you what needs doing and what might be worth doing (and when).

The MOT on your car should give some idea of whether things like the tyres need replacing.

Yeah, welded I mean. £50 EACH? Bloody hell.... I'll phone around and see if I can get some decent tyres as a reasonable price. I'll make them go around the tyres to make sure the tyres have enough thread etc.
I love how you think tyres are £15 each, so sweet! I think my stepdads were £100+ each last year.
Reply 15
How much for each Tyre!

I got 2 new Tyres for £20 from a scrap yard! My point is shop around and you might get lucky.
Reply 16

My dads tyres are £200+ each, but he does a lot of mileage for work, plus it's a company car :smile:

(Please ignore typos, I'm on my phone :colondollar:)

Edit: why is that a neg? Just being helpful :/
(edited 11 years ago)
This may sound daft, but how much do you think a full tank would cost on a fiat punto 1.2.. God I've got brother's who have driven for years and not one of them have approached me to offer advice etc...
Original post by silverbolt

Well I filled up a car for the first time when I was 19, and I didn't have a clue how it worked either. Of course I've been in the car while it was being filled loads of times, but never actually saw what was going on.

OP it is easy, don't worry.
Bring someone with you the first time that's what I did :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest