The Student Room Group

Is it easy to add petrol? Also first time driving by myself. (I'm **** scared)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TrueUnitedFan
I'm 18. I've been many times to a petrol station in my brother's car to fill up on petrol but i've never got out of the car to observe how they do it.

Why would I post a thread like this If I'm not being serious? That would be a very sad thing to do, so sorry, I do have a life....

YOU ARE 18 AND DON'T KNOW HOW TO FILL UP A TANK?

OMG.

I think I have learnt how to fill up a tank when I was like 12 cos my mum was always too lazy to do it herself... And I mean even if you have never done it before, it is self explanatory.
Reply 41
Original post by Suzanathema
You don't have to get a full tank, you can stop it whenever you want. The dials display how much your fuel currently costs, a lot of people watch the dials move and stop filling up when they get to a round number, like when they get to £30.

You also need to make sure you use the green nozzle - you will really damage the car if you use diesel.

I would also advise (and some people might disagree...) that unless the petrol station specifies that the nozzles are long-reach, that you pull into a filling station where the pump is the same side of the car as the fuel cap. I've tried to pull around nozzles before at certain stations and when I came to take it out at the end I found it was stuck - very embarrassing. Avoid that if you can!

I've never, ever had a problem with the hose not being long enough. The only reason that some stations especially state that you can use either side of the pump is to stop morons all from queueing for one side of the pump. If you get the nozzle stuck in the neck of the tank, pull on the hose to release the tension on the filler nozzle and it'll come right out.
Reply 42
Original post by Robertall
I disagree, if you can ONLY afford second hand, then get second hand. remoulds i dont know. I have rarely have new tyres. I have had to have one new recently, cost me £55, but i couldn't find a second hand. (Part worn means second hand).

I have never had a puncture of a 2nd hand tyre, i had one which beaded badly, but that was due the wheel rather than the tyre.

Would i buy 2nd hand? Yes, always. But everybody has a different opinion on the subject. I see it like this, you are just as likely to have a puncture if you hit a nail etc regardless of tyre. I always wear my tyres down to 1.6mm too.

I will be a student, saving money. I would be debt if i didn't buy almost everything 2nd hand.

It's not about getting a puncture if your going to get a puncture your going to get one whatever tyre you have on.
It's about how they've worn on the previous car, how much tread is left, if there is actual damage to the tyre that you may or may not be able to see and lets face it if this person doesn't know how to put petrol in then they really shouldn't be looking at second hand tyres...no offence!
I buy second hand for a lot of things but there are some things you just can't save on! Id rather have a nice set of safe tyres and save on a few nights not going out...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by TrueUnitedFan
Ok, so I have my car and I need to go fill it up, and I have no clue on how to do it. The car takes unleaded petrol.

I'm guessing to fill up, take off the petrol fuel line, insert it into the car's petrol tank, fully inserted. press down the button, when I'm done filling up, let go of the button and hang the petrol fuel line back up?

It's going to be my first time driving, by myself since I passed my test last month. I've got to do all of this, get the exhaust wielded to quieten the noise the exhaust pumps out, check the tyres for boldness, go to an auto shop and get new windscreen wipers..

Now I'm also feeling really nervous, does anyone have any tips. :rolleyes:

Find out which side of your car your petrol tank is, open it (usually there is a lever in the passenger well)

Choose whether you want to pay at pump or at the kiosk. Pick up the lever and put it into your petrol tank, the staff in the kiosk will autorise it (they have to make sure your not a child filling up) and then squeeze the nozzle and it will deliver the fuel. If you want it brim full just keeping going till it stops (it does it automatically when the tank is full- the petrol starts flowing backwards and it cuts off- it wont do anything if you squeeze the nozzle) and then you go and pay...50, 60, even 70 pounds.

If your that nervous- I would recommend getting your parents to go out and getting you some P plates and sticking to local, quiet, slow roads. Don't go bombing on the motorway at 80mph- your time will come, don't do if your scared- your more likely to cause an accident.

Have you never driven this car before? Why not go out with a parent at first until you get the feel of it.
I don't get it either. what is the world coming to? you own a car, but you're not going to spend a bit of money on it? what did you think car ownership entailed? freedom? it comes at a price.

A full tank costs you 50 quid, you might get 400 miles out of that if you're lucky. Tyres, for which you're going to want half-decent ones rather than the ditchfinder specials (perfect for those wet-roundabout accidental skidding sessions which kill hundreds of young people a year) are going to be 40 per corner for any half-way decent rubber, MINIMUM, if they're to offer any grip under all conditions, and you're far safer spending 60-100 quid. Welding? you're talking at least half an hours work, probably an hour or maybe 2, @ the princely sum of 50 quid an hour. You'll be lucky to get windscreen wipers for less than a tenner if you want two fronts and a rear.

And how much are you paying on insurance? new driver on a punto, male? 2 grand? 5 grand? and you can't spend a couple of hundred on making the car roadworthy? no wonder my premiums are so F888ing high. are you even insured? taxed? you know half of petrol forecourts have ANPR nowadays?

Scrimping on this stuff can cost you your life, can get you a criminal record, and destroy your career before you've even started.
Welcome to the real world. Enjoy your stay as an adult. Have fun, but be safe. Cars are really flippin expensive - get used to it sooner rather than later.
Original post by Nuffles
I've never, ever had a problem with the hose not being long enough. The only reason that some stations especially state that you can use either side of the pump is to stop morons all from queueing for one side of the pump. If you get the nozzle stuck in the neck of the tank, pull on the hose to release the tension on the filler nozzle and it'll come right out.

To be fair this only ever happens to me at Morrisons pumps but I guarantee you it's not me being a moron! I did just that, and it wouldn't come out. There was a queue forming and it was very embarassing. I had to pull really hard and ended up with a dribble of petrol on my shoes (the horror!)

Convinced I was just being stupid or had bad luck with a particular nozzle, on another occasion I tried again to fill up at a different Morrisons carrying the nozzle around the car, and it got stuck again that time too. It may just be my car but I've never had any problems when I've filled up with the nozzle on the correct side of the car.
Original post by pheonix254
A full tank costs you 50 quid, you might get 400 miles out of that if you're lucky.

Christ almighty. I knew running a car was expensive... but bloody hell fire. My bike will be filled on a shave over a tenner and will do about 200 miles with that.

OP, I didn't know how to refill my bike first time I went, as in, I'd never operated a petrol pump before, but it really isn't hard. Just squeeze and go! Haha! Just remember to shake the last few drops out of the hose before you hang it up.
Reply 47
If there's two green nozzles on the pump you want the cheaper one (unless you're driving some sort of exotic sports car)

you can save a few quid buying wiper rubbers and cutting them to length yourself rather than changing the whole assembly.

You can poke exhaust repair putty into holes in the silencers, it drops out again eventually but will get it past an mot.

Imo brand name tyers are unnecessary expense, young people crash because they drive too fast and show off. I always use own brand or the second least expensive and I'm still here :smile:
Reply 48
To be fair this only ever happens to me at Morrisons pumps but I guarantee you it's not me being a moron! I did just that, and it wouldn't come out. There was a queue forming and it was very embarassing. I had to pull really hard and ended up with a dribble of petrol on my shoes (the horror!)

Convinced I was just being stupid or had bad luck with a particular nozzle, on another occasion I tried again to fill up at a different Morrisons carrying the nozzle around the car, and it got stuck again that time too. It may just be my car but I've never had any problems when I've filled up with the nozzle on the correct side of the car.

just grab the hose with your free hand to take the weight of it.
Reply 49
I have to say, totally brimming a tank is a bit silly. The heavier your car is, the greater the fuel consumption will be. Unless I'm going on a seriously long journey, I only ever half fill up my tank at the most.
First time we took my car for petrol I couldn't unlock the fuel cap... neither could my dad... took us about 10 minutes and lots of swearing.
Reply 51
Original post by Kevmeister
About £40.

As for tyre cost, roughly £60 each. You should only need two, though, as the tyres wear at differing rates. Generally you get two new ones, and the back ones go on the front with the new ones going on the back - for FWD cars anyway.

Full tank on a punto 1.2 from empty to full is £67...
Original post by Joinedup
just grab the hose with your free hand to take the weight of it.

I did. It wouldn't come out.
People don't know this? The world is ****ed.
Reply 54
My first fill up of a car was when I was a learner. My mum ended up taking over because I couldn't get it to work at all.
Top tip: Don't push the nozzle as far as it will go, it will cause the stop valve to not open and you won't get any petrol out of it. If you press the trigger and it keeps clicking and forcing the trigger to release, slightly remove the nozzle and try again.
Another top tip: If your car doesn't have a cord to attach the fuel cap to the car, put the cap on the roof of your car, this makes it harder to forget to put it back on. I drove halfway home without my petrol cap on once, I realised I couldn't remember putting it back in on the way home and went back to the petrol station to find it on top of the petrol pump, I was lucky no one stole it or threw it away really.

I would also advise (and some people might disagree...) that unless the petrol station specifies that the nozzles are long-reach, that you pull into a filling station where the pump is the same side of the car as the fuel cap. I've tried to pull around nozzles before at certain stations and when I came to take it out at the end I found it was stuck - very embarrassing. Avoid that if you can!

Even if petrol stations say their hoses are 'long reach', I find that they often aren't. They will reach to the other side of your car, if you park close enough to the pump, and really pull the hose, and put the nozzle in upside down (makes it harder to remove it as they're angled). I just sit and wait for one on the correct side of my car as it's much easier, I'd advise you to do the same especially if it's your first ever fill up.

As for tyres, just get the cheapest as they're cheap and meet the required safety regulations, right? NO!! I've just replaced my £35 budget tyres with some Kumho KH17's (Which? Best Buy and have very good user reviews as well). The budget tyres lasted just over 6000 miles (about 11 months with not driving much) before becoming illegal and dangerous. Budget tyres will grip OK as long as you don't drive like a rally driver, but they wear down REALLY fast. Decent tyres last at least 3 times as long as this. Just get decent tyres, they aren't that much more expensive (£10-£20 a tyre, so £40-£80 for your entire car), but they last so much longer that they work out cheaper overall.
Reply 55
Original post by charliiy
It's not about getting a puncture if your going to get a puncture your going to get one whatever tyre you have on.
It's about how they've worn on the previous car, how much tread is left, if there is actual damage to the tyre that you may or may not be able to see and lets face it if this person doesn't know how to put petrol in then they really shouldn't be looking at second hand tyres...no offence!
I buy second hand for a lot of things but there are some things you just can't save on! Id rather have a nice set of safe tyres and save on a few nights not going out...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

1. I don't drink, i am tee-total.
2. I don't smoke
3. I don't do drugs
4. I have been unemployed for a while.

I could barely afford to run the car, but i NEED the car as i live in a village with nearly no public transport.

You have to be realistic, and as i said, it is each to their own whether or not to have new or used tyres.
Original post by pheonix254
I don't get it either. what is the world coming to? you own a car, but you're not going to spend a bit of money on it? what did you think car ownership entailed? freedom? it comes at a price.

A full tank costs you 50 quid, you might get 400 miles out of that if you're lucky. Tyres, for which you're going to want half-decent ones rather than the ditchfinder specials (perfect for those wet-roundabout accidental skidding sessions which kill hundreds of young people a year) are going to be 40 per corner for any half-way decent rubber, MINIMUM, if they're to offer any grip under all conditions, and you're far safer spending 60-100 quid. Welding? you're talking at least half an hours work, probably an hour or maybe 2, @ the princely sum of 50 quid an hour. You'll be lucky to get windscreen wipers for less than a tenner if you want two fronts and a rear.

And how much are you paying on insurance? new driver on a punto, male? 2 grand? 5 grand? and you can't spend a couple of hundred on making the car roadworthy? no wonder my premiums are so F888ing high. are you even insured? taxed? you know half of petrol forecourts have ANPR nowadays?

Scrimping on this stuff can cost you your life, can get you a criminal record, and destroy your career before you've even started.
Welcome to the real world. Enjoy your stay as an adult. Have fun, but be safe. Cars are really flippin expensive - get used to it sooner rather than later.

Oh get a life and grow up. When In my posts did I say I wasn't prepared to spend the required money on the car? Instead of trying to be all high and almighty and clever, read the god dam posts.

I've literally just spend 165 for a new catalytic converter as the old one was making far too much noise.

I've got the tyres checked out and none of them needs to be changed.

Yes, I am insured, Yes I do have road tax, yes I do have M.O.T. The reasons why your premiums are high is because I'm guessing you've got baboons around like yourself where you live.
Reply 57
£15 each per tyre? Now that would be nice!

It cost me £260 to get 4 Michelin Primacys fitted to my car a couple of months ago from Costco, which I am very happy with. There are quite a few factors though, for example the tyres on my Dad's car are £250 each!

One piece of advice - don't skimp on tyres, buy decent ones. You don't have to buy the most expensive ones out there, but a good mid range tyre (Toyo, Kumho, Falken, Braum etc) should be priced reasonably and will be 100 times better than these cheap Chinese budget ditchfinders you see occasionally.

My car came with terrible tyres on it - Pirelli P6000s. I genuinely couldn't believe how bad they were, the back end would let go at tickover in second on a wet roundabout, half throttle in third at 2500rpm would light up the rear tyres in the wet, and they were pretty poor in the dry too. The Primacys have completely transformed the car! Whatever you do, don't buy the cheapest ones you can find!

Note - Pirelli make good tyres, but the P6000s are truly terrible.
Reply 58
My rear tyres are WIIIIIDE. £325 each!
Reply 59
Original post by DazA
My rear tyres are WIIIIIDE. £325 each!

This is what is putting me off putting MV1s on my car! The rears on them are 255s I think, which is about £200 for a half decent tyre, a lot more than that for premium ones.

I have 205/55R/16s on at the moment, and they are considerably cheaper!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending