The Student Room Group

What to Study :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If you want to study Law then you'll still have many career options open to you. Many people who study Law don't go on to be lawyers! On the other hand, you don't need any particular degree to become a lawyer. Whether Law is a boring subject or not is quite subjective, and you shouldn't be put off by it. I would recommend visiting your local library and browsing through undergraduate law books (relevant to the modules you may be studying at university). I did this and found many areas of law interesting, and a few quite dull. In any degree you're going to enjoy aspects of the course over others, so if you have a keen interest for law, do it!
Reply 21
Thank you for all of your really useful replied! Definitely aided me on choosing a course... i think that I'll go ahead and do english and history joint honours followed by a law conversion! thank you so much for your help, really has been invaluable!
Reply 22
Hey, Ive been in a similar position to you and have spent hours and hours of time reading up, asking advice and doing extensive research and work experience into all my options. I have finally chosen to do Law over History!!
One thing I would say firstly is I see that lots of people have recommend the conversion course here... however I warn you now, Ive read a lot about this and spoke to many people who have just finished their conversion course and who did a conversion and are now doing pupillage. A conversion for me did seem like a really viable option, it meant I could study what I was sure I would love (History) but still have the option to go on and do law and still go to bar school. But apparently the conversion is extremely hard, its like cramming 3 years of law into 1... Which at first I thought I could manage, I mean about 50% of the bar have done a conversion and they don't hold it against you. Having spoken to several people and read about it however I did eventually rule it out as an option for me for several reasons... a) because its an extra year of university, meaning more money spent on tuition fees (and also I know bar school can be very expensive) so more student dept, b) because of the difficulty of fitting all that knowledge of law, learning cases and how to read and understand them and the law in 1 year, when others have had 3 (especially when it comes to pupillage).. and c) I heard and read several times that those doing pupillage's having done a law degree have a wider knowledge of the law, can read cases and therefore when they start pupillage can start off at a sprint rather than a jog. All this said however, none of this means that it cant be done with a conversion... like I said 50% of the bar have done conversions and it certainly wont hold you back.
My advice now to you is what I did... I have done a mini-pupillage following a barrister for 3 weeks, followed a solicitor and traipsed round the magistrates courts looking for the most boring looking cases to see if I am still interested... This is what many barristers suggested, they said to go and see the stuff that you will have to do when you first come to the bar, the real **** jobs, and if I still found that interesting then to go for it... Also, I know that reading the law is actually very different to seeing it in practice, so I have read as many books as possible on as many different types of law... And obviously some of it is rather dry, like a law degree would be.. but after all of that and still having an keen interest I decided to ditch History and go for Law. Law is a solid degree, and after having done so you can still go into a career in something else, also its so wide ranging that there is bound to be something which grabs everyones interest.
The thing I've been told about choosing between a Law degree or a conversion is don't underestimate how hard a conversion is (apparently many people do), don't underestimate that parts of a law degree can be very dry, especially since you have to learn case after case after case and finally, do something you enjoy and which you think you be able to spend 3 years studying
Hope thats helped a little! I completely understand what position you are in, I was there like a month ago (I only recently made my decision).. I mean its big decision and you want to be sure..xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending