The Student Room Group

Single or Joint Honours?!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by H_McNamara
Thanks for your reply, really helpful!!!
Just really nervous about deciding what to do, joint honours has always been an option as I cannot choose between history and english literature so it seems like a good alternative. Just worried about the practicalities of doing two subjects at once instead of focusing in on one subject. The fact that you don't go into as much detail does not worry me greatly as when I attended an open day at Birmingham and they explained the modules, it seems as though you still do all the core modules but instead of taking 2 modules of your choice, you would only do one then that would also apply for your other subject too.
Have been researching the law conversion pathway and it looks like you do a one year course at post-grad level which would be best if I decided to go into law but it sounds like a really difficult course of basically cramming 3 years worth of law into one :/

I think if you want to do both history and english that you should because if you do a course that you like you're more likely to do well, and also, there is a lot of historical context that is useful for the study of english literature, and literature is a reflection of the times in which it was written. So there shouldnt be a problem :smile: Its doing something like law and dance where you have to worry!

I do politics and international relations. And I personally think doing two subjects that link together has helped to widen my knowledge and understanding of both subjects. Plus, I know for a fact that you'll be doing the same core modules as the straight english lit/history students, so you'll still learn the basics of both.
Reply 21
Original post by Copycats&Acrobats
I think if you want to do both history and english that you should because if you do a course that you like you're more likely to do well, and also, there is a lot of historical context that is useful for the study of english literature, and literature is a reflection of the times in which it was written. So there shouldnt be a problem :smile: Its doing something like law and dance where you have to worry!

I do politics and international relations. And I personally think doing two subjects that link together has helped to widen my knowledge and understanding of both subjects. Plus, I know for a fact that you'll be doing the same core modules as the straight english lit/history students, so you'll still learn the basics of both.

How do you find your work balance? Do you get adequate support for both subjects? Is joint honours common?
Thank you so much for the information it's really valuable!
So is it essentially the 3 year law degree minus all the optional modules?
The LPC and BPTC are the next steps that you do whilst at work?

Thanks!

You choose which path you'd like to go down. The LPC (Legal Practice Course) is the route to train as a solicitor and you can apply for that once you've completed/almost completed your GDL. The BPTC (Bar Professional Training Course) is the route to train as a barrister, which you can also apply for once you have the GDL.

For more info about the two different careers I'd recommend the Prospects website, it gives you quite detailed information about what is required and the duties you're likely to undertake if you go into either career.

Solicitor: http://www.prospects.ac.uk/solicitor_job_description.htm
Barrister: http://www.prospects.ac.uk/barrister_job_description.htm

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
You choose which path you'd like to go down. The LPC (Legal Practice Course) is the route to train as a solicitor and you can apply for that once you've completed/almost completed your GDL. The BPTC (Bar Professional Training Course) is the route to train as a barrister, which you can also apply for once you have the GDL.

For more info about the two different careers I'd recommend the Prospects website, it gives you quite detailed information about what is required and the duties you're likely to undertake if you go into either career.

Solicitor: http://www.prospects.ac.uk/solicitor_job_description.htm
Barrister: http://www.prospects.ac.uk/barrister_job_description.htm

Hope this helps :smile:

It definitely will help, i'll have a look now! thank you so much!
How do you find your work balance? Do you get adequate support for both subjects? Is joint honours common?

Work balance is pretty much the same for the single honours students, and all modules require different reading/theory ect and generally require the same amount of work. Because you are studying things in depth, single hoours students will still have to work as hard as you. Occasionally things link, but with the amount of new information and stuff I doubt you'd be doing that much more work than the average single honors student. I get a lot of support from tutors ect at DMU, and if you find yourself struggling, don't hesitate to mention it to your lecturer, seminar teacher or personal tutor. I regularly ask questions and for help if I need it, lets face it, that IS what you are paying them your tuition fees for. Join honors course are common in my uni and I regularly talk to business or journalism students who are doing the odd globalization module (which links in with my IR courses). I really doubt you'll have a problem, and english and history joint is a pretty common course choice :smile:

Or think of it this way. Say a English lit single honors student is doing a renaissance lit module, and you aren't, you'll still be doing the core module that gives you the skills and basic texts that they will, they'll just have to do research on renaissance lit while your doing a history course. It wont affect your performance in english because your not doing renaissance lit. I have a friend who's doing journalism and politics, they still have to put in the same amount of effort on the politics modules as I do, they just know more about journalism than I do. So if we're both doing a module and something about the media comes up, they have more background knowledge than I do, and the other way around. The lack of knowledge does equal itself out. And unless you want to go into academics, (PhD academics and uni lecturing not teaching children/alevel students) I'd actually say it is better as you learn a more wider range so are more likely to have qualities that employers want. :smile:
Reply 25
Work balance is pretty much the same for the single honours students, and all modules require different reading/theory ect and generally require the same amount of work. Because you are studying things in depth, single hoours students will still have to work as hard as you. Occasionally things link, but with the amount of new information and stuff I doubt you'd be doing that much more work than the average single honors student. I get a lot of support from tutors ect at DMU, and if you find yourself struggling, don't hesitate to mention it to your lecturer, seminar teacher or personal tutor. I regularly ask questions and for help if I need it, lets face it, that IS what you are paying them your tuition fees for. Join honors course are common in my uni and I regularly talk to business or journalism students who are doing the odd globalization module (which links in with my IR courses). I really doubt you'll have a problem, and english and history joint is a pretty common course choice :smile:

Or think of it this way. Say a English lit single honors student is doing a renaissance lit module, and you aren't, you'll still be doing the core module that gives you the skills and basic texts that they will, they'll just have to do research on renaissance lit while your doing a history course. It wont affect your performance in english because your not doing renaissance lit. I have a friend who's doing journalism and politics, they still have to put in the same amount of effort on the politics modules as I do, they just know more about journalism than I do. So if we're both doing a module and something about the media comes up, they have more background knowledge than I do, and the other way around. The lack of knowledge does equal itself out. And unless you want to go into academics, (PhD academics and uni lecturing not teaching children/alevel students) I'd actually say it is better as you learn a more wider range so are more likely to have qualities that employers want. :smile:

Wow thank you for such an in depth explanation! it is really helpful to hear from someone who had experienced a joint honours course! ALl of the worries I had are pretty much covered here! Thank you for this, I really do now think that joint honours is the correct option for me!
And i could still teach up to a level with joint honours?
Wow thank you for such an in depth explanation! it is really helpful to hear from someone who had experienced a joint honours course! ALl of the worries I had are pretty much covered here! Thank you for this, I really do now think that joint honours is the correct option for me!
And i could still teach up to a level with joint honours?

pretty sure you can, although it is best to check on the government teaching website. Last time I checked you only had to have 180 module credits in the subject you wanted to teach, and there are 360 module credits in a honours degree, so if you split the subjects equally and dont fail any modules i dont see why you wouldnt be able to teach either english or history. :smile:
Reply 27
pretty sure you can, although it is best to check on the government teaching website. Last time I checked you only had to have 180 module credits in the subject you wanted to teach, and there are 360 module credits in a honours degree, so if you split the subjects equally and dont fail any modules i dont see why you wouldnt be able to teach either english or history. :smile:

i'll have a look :biggrin: thanks for all your help!
i'll have a look :biggrin: thanks for all your help!

:smile:

I'm not sure what uni you've applied for, but they might have a facebook page where you can ask the actual students. You might find someone doing that course or either subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending