The Student Room Group

Mind reading my investigation write up?

Hello!
I went to Wales on a college trip to undertake a river study, as part of that study I've had to do a write up, this will be used a lot in the revision for the 4A exam in January.
Would anyone mind reading through my report and telling me areas where they think I could improve things?

Thank you so much to anyone who helps!
I will have a read. I used to mark 4A, so have a very good idea what it should be. I've not looked but would expect it laid out as if you'd written it up as coursework, as that seems to be the best way that people remember things.
quick look, split data analysis and conclusion up. they should be totally separate.

This is personally how I would have it, however it is for an exam so wouldn't be as strict

Introduction at least 2 pages, preferably 3
Aims
Objectives
Hypothesis
Background to location
Key terms definitions

Method at least 5 pages
How you are going to meet you objectives
Primary Data and Secondary data you are going to collect
Any details about things that you are going to collect
Limitations
Sampling - location of where samples will be
Risk Assessment

Data Analysis and Results at least 8 pages
Analysis of data and showing completed table showing all data that has been collected
This should show several types of graphs and maps, overlays are good.

Conclusion at least 2 pages, preferably 3
How you've met your objectives, hypothesis and results.
Need to speak about improvements
How your project links to the wider context of geography/how it could be used at other locations
Evaluation - doesn't have to be huge

Bibliography a page at least
showing all your sources

Appendix
All information and data collected

I would expect without Appendix, about 20 pages, and that should get you a good grade, at least a C. I know that made sound long, but it means that you can know your investigation in detail and can answer any question.

You can tell if people know their personal investigation or not, and we do ask occasions what preparation people have done, some people have done less than what you've done, but you can really tell.

A Level geography is really, other than dissertation, in education that you do proper field study reports. Most you will do reports on parts, but not full study reports.
Reply 3
Thank you!
I did try to tell my teacher that we needed more pages in order to do this exam justice but she insists on a seven page limit! I've tried to condense the text as much as I can and get a flavour of each section, using roughly the proportions that you've given me. Thanks for you time. Have plus repped you. :smile:
What I would do is then is do a 7 page version of what your teacher wants and do a longer one that you use to revise. Also show the teacher what I put above, I am doing a guide for a school, so when I've done that can send it over. Uni's are looking to put a form of full field study report in, well I know of at least 4 uni's who are looking in to it.
Reply 5
That would be absolutely brilliant if you could send me your guide over, when it's finished! Thank you so so so much for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending