The Student Room Group

Barclays Bank refuse to give my money back, what can I do?

I have 2.71 pounds in my current account. I last receive a statement in 2008 and my debit card expired on March 2007.

I went to a Barclay branch with my debit card, statement and passport to withdraw the 2.71 pounds. I was told my account was closed, and was told to write a letter to the Dormancy administrator centre. I sent a letter with photocopies of my passport, statement and debit card on July 23rd.

I have not heard from Barclays. I went to their branch a second time, and was told to send a lost claim form to the same address I sent to the first time.

I have sent the lost claim form on August 2nd and still not heard from Barclays. I will go to the branch for a 3rd time this week or next week to chase up.

If they refuse to pay me back the 2.71 pounds, is there anything I can do? I was lucky that it was a small amount. It could be well over 100 pounds, and they could of close my account and refuse to give it back.

This post misused the anon function. Before posting anonymously, please read the H&R guidelines - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Health_and_Relationships_Guidelines
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

So basically you are whining about £2.71. The heck is wrong with this world?
How come you have not claimed it before it was closed. Are you really that poor that
your dying for £2.71 because if so I don't mind giving charity up to £3.
Reply 2
Original post by LiterallyInsane
How come you have not claimed it before it was closed. Are you really that poor that

Money is money. If your 1p short to get on the bus, would the bus driver let you get on the bus? Proberly not.

I didn't claimed it before it was closed, because I assume the money can be accessible at any time.

I am unemployed and need all the money I can.

Great, you give 3 pounds to charity, doesn't mean everyone can afford to give 3 pounds to charity.

Obviously, you don't understand that every pennies count in society.
Original post by Anonymous
Money is money. If your 1p short to get on the bus, would the bus driver let you get on the bus? Proberly not.

I didn't claimed it before it was closed, because I assume the money can be accessible at any time.

I am unemployed and need all the money I can.

Great, you give 3 pounds to charity, doesn't mean everyone can afford to give 3 pounds to charity.

Obviously, you don't understand that every pennies count in society.

Stop writing nonsense you can afford internet access but your crying for £2.71 that you can't access due to a closed account? Great you are the epiphany of a Douchebag.
Reply 4
No wonder you used anon. Too worried about people seeing you whine over £2.71!

See it as a £2.71 lesson to ensure you monitor your accounts closely.
one less happy meal for you
£2.71, OP you're making a fool of yourself.
Reply 7
Wow, some of the posters on here are quite silly. Regardless of how small an amount it was, what right do the bank have to close someones account without notice?

Hell, when i had a Halifax chidrens account, i stopped using it at 18 and it was left open. When i was 20 i was in the branch and decided to close it, it had like 7p in it and i insisted they just keep it, although they said that they could dispose of the funds but would be more paperwork than just me taking it.

Do the posters above actually think a bank has the right to close your account and take all your money? :s-smilie:
Reply 8
It hasn't even been 3 weeks yet since you went into the branch the first time, so not having heard anything doesn't mean you aren't going to get the money back or that they are trying to withhold it. Did you ask how long it would take for a response the first time you went in and were told to write to them? I wouldn't be surprised if they normally take something like 30 days to process something like this and it's probably from when they receive it too, meaning you could be waiting until the end of August depending on how long you took to gather up the info and send it and how long Royal Mail took to deliver it.
Reply 9
Great you are the epiphany of a Douchebag.

:nah:
Reply 10
I might be reading it wrong but I interpreted it as the OP knew the account was being closed?
Reply 11
I have 2.71 pounds in my current account. I last receive a statement in 2008 and my debit card expired on March 2007.

I went to a Barclay branch with my debit card, statement and passport to withdraw the 2.71 pounds. I was told my account was closed, and was told to write a letter to the Dormancy administrator centre. I sent a letter with photocopies of my passport, statement and debit card on July 23rd.

I have not heard from Barclays. I went to their branch a second time, and was told to send a lost claim form to the same address I sent to the first time.

I have sent the lost claim form on August 2nd and still not heard from Barclays. I will go to the branch for a 3rd time this week or next week to chase up.

If they refuse to pay me back the 2.71 pounds, is there anything I can do? I was lucky that it was a small amount. It could be well over 100 pounds, and they could of close my account and refuse to give it back.

This post misused the anon function. Before posting anonymously, please read the H&R guidelines - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Health_and_Relationships_Guidelines

Money is money and not everyone is born with a silver spoon in their mouths (I fully understand and appreciate this).

What you need to do is go to the bank and ask to see a Financial Adviser that most banks have. They will go through all the paperwork with you and by taking in your circumstances and situation then they will devise with you a way to get you the most money by devising money boosting strategies and techniques. It's all about getting your money working for you in the best possible way. These last for as long as you need :smile: And I bet banks have emergency funds and/or relief payments to worse off customers.

Good Luck OP :smile:
Reply 12
unless the bank is feeling nice theres ont really much that you can do, i mean if they still decideto not return said money you could always take them through the small claims court but that takes time & money and all for such a measily amount? if they dont return it to you id just let it go...
Original post by paperclip
Wow, some of the posters on here are quite silly. Regardless of how small an amount it was, what right do the bank have to close someones account without notice?

Well being as the account wasn't used for between four and five years, it's hardly without notice. And the account has been frozen and he has to request the money. These things do take some time. But if you've gone 250 weeks without using that three quid, another three or four isn't that unreasonable.
You're probably spending more on stamps than you will ever get back!!
Reply 15

Bad example. You can get a free bus ride if you ask for an unpaid bus fare :tongue:

He's whining about the bank taking his money. They shouldn't be taking his money. Whining justified.
How much have you wasted so far on transportation, stamps and stationary?

Give it up as a lost cause and move on with your life.
Original post by cl_steele
unless the bank is feeling nice theres ont really much that you can do, i mean if they still decideto not return said money you could always take them through the small claims court but that takes time & money and all for such a measily amount? if they dont return it to you id just let it go...

Banks prey on this sort of thing.

OP, make a complaint in writing to the bank, and then contact the financial ombudsman.
Reply 19

the bank is not a charity, it is a business. I happily give to charity but i woudnt donate £3 to a bank for nothing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending