Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

wokring out is too expensive :(

Announcements Posted on
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I started working out a month ago and it looks like ive got to quit, the supplements are too expensive and only last like 2 weeks, and not to mention the food costs just as much if not more. Ive been working out at home and thought id make the change to work out at the gym, can do so much more at the gym and thats £40 a month. So it can topple the £120 a month mark.

Is there anyway to work out on the cheap? Id rather work out properly and eat right every day, rather than cheat. I have been told to work out and just eat what my parents get, but it would be pointless as theres no point in working out and not eating as i would only get injured as there isnt a lot of protein to fix the damaged muscles.

Do you recommend waiting until Ive got a full time job and earning a respectable income to start working out when I can afford it, or do it on the cheap?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    well you dont need suppliments. my food bill would be max £60 a month, probably a lot less, and you can go to a cheaper gym.

/thread

come up with better excuses.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheech23)
    So I started working out a month ago and it looks like ive got to quit, the supplements are too expensive and only last like 2 weeks, and not to mention the food costs just as much if not more. Ive been working out at home and thought id make the change to work out at the gym, can do so much more at the gym and thats £40 a month. So it can topple the £120 a month mark.

Is there anyway to work out on the cheap? Id rather work out properly and eat right every day, rather than cheat. I have been told to work out and just eat what my parents get, but it would be pointless as theres no point in working out and not eating as i would only get injured as there isnt a lot of protein to fix the damaged muscles.

Do you recommend waiting until Ive got a full time job and earning a respectable income to start working out when I can afford it, or do it on the cheap?
    Bingo!
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sconter)
    well you dont need suppliments. my food bill would be max £60 a month, probably a lot less, and you can go to a cheaper gym.

/thread

£60 a month + £30 phone bill plus £50-£60 a month on petrol.

Not forgetting going out with friends and being social.

£100+ a month

(even if cut out the supplements, which i undoubtedly will, its still really expensive)

Re-Open thread. Welcome to the real world.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You have just started lifting.. hardly a month has gone by , supplements are not mandatory , not needed at this stage. Rather spend that money on your diet !
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    £60 a month + £30 phone bill plus £50-£60 a month on petrol.

Not forgetting going out with friends and being social.

£100+ a month

Re-Open thread. Welcome to the real world.
    100+ a month on 'being social'? itt OP doesnt know how to pre-drink, nor does he know how to talk to people without alcohol.

you dont eat anywhere near as much as me either, and why are u spending 60 on fuel.

do u have a job or are u at uni?

also lol at your priorities thinking spending more on alcohol is more important that food.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Supplements only do about 10% of the work...just work harder and push yourself.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblyminty)
    Supplements only do about 10% of the work...just work harder and push yourself.
    0%*
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    100+ a month on 'being social'? itt OP doesnt know how to pre-drink, nor does he know how to talk to people without alcohol.

you dont eat anywhere near as much as me either, and why are u spending 60 on fuel.

do u have a job or are u at uni?

also lol at your priorities thinking spending more on alcohol is more important that food.
    I meant £100+ in total not on being social i never spend that much on alcohol, im not much of a drinker haha

£50 on fuel equates to a 100mile round trip to a radio show that I do every week.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    You don't need supplements. Nor do you need to have a really expensive diet. A lot of the foods you want can be bought in bulk

But if you find the gym too expensive as well, you could do calisthenics instead.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I meant £100+ in total not on being social i never spend that much on alcohol, im not much of a drinker haha

£50 on fuel equates to a 100mile round trip to a radio show that I do every week.
    public transport?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    public transport?
    not possible on the motorway lol

EDIT: Train isnt as conveiniant no where near where the station is.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I spend around 120 pounds per year on a gym member ship, and 30 pounds per 2kg bag of protein which lasts around a month for 2 people, one on a double scoop after every work out, and the other person on a double scoop twice a day.
    Maybe you should try seeing if your parents will let you buy more foods with proteins in them? E.g Eggs, which taste great in loads of different forms

hope this helps
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Look for a cheaper gym, only sets me back 20 quid a month. Also you don't need supplements if you've been lifting a month, just focus on eating more right now.

i would only get injured as there isnt a lot of protein to fix the damaged muscles.
    I've never heard of this happening to anyone, unless they weren't eating any protein or something. Supplements are not critical, particularly at your stage. I don't use them and my 'beginner gains' are just fine, don't worry about that right now, just eat more protein.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:

What the hell are you buying?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    What the hell are you buying?
    maximuscle £40 for a tub that is 30 servings 2 a day that equates to 14/15days which is £80 alone.

Id rather have full control over my meals and cut out the supplements, but as ive realised that they are a waste and I should be getting my proteins from whole foods, but by eating what my parents give me at the end of the day im throwing my whole nutrients out. am i not? still even by cutting them out by my calculations its still alot of money to work out to. as i only have so much room at home, i can barely fit in a set of dumbells and a pull up bar, so I cant work out as well as i could at the gym with legs and chest (I have no bench) The cheapest gym near me is £2.50 a go, now going by 1 day on 1 day off routine which I have been doing that would equate to 3-4 times a week, which is £10 max, 4 weeks in a month thats £40 over a year thats £400+ I would really like to start to work out but on the wage Im on I'll be spending a lot of money just on working out. Id have little to no money left. Not mentioning car insurance monthly too.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    maximuscle £40 for a tub that is 30 servings 2 a day that equates to 14/15days which is £80 alone.

Id rather have full control over my meals and cut out the supplements, but as ive realised that they are a waste and I should be getting my proteins from whole foods, but by eating what my parents give me at the end of the day im throwing my whole nutrients out. am i not? still even by cutting them out by my calculations its still alot of money to work out to. as i only have so much room at home, i can barely fit in a set of dumbells and a pull up bar, so I cant work out as well as i could at the gym with legs and chest (I have no bench) The cheapest gym near me is £2.50 a go, now going by 1 day on 1 day off routine which I have been doing that would equate to 3-4 times a week, which is £10 max, 4 weeks in a month thats £40 over a year thats £400+ I would really like to start to work out but on the wage Im on I'll be spending a lot of money just on working out. Id have little to no money left. Not mentioning car insurance monthly too.

Try myprotein.com and since you've only just started, maybe you dont need so much?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol maximuscle. Get rid of it and use myprotein or something, no wonder you have money problems. And £400 pay as you go must be £200-300 on a monthly/yearly basis surely?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    it is perfectly possible to have a healthy protein rich diet on a pretty small budget. Especially if you include a cheap protein powder. And thats not even counting the fact that your parents seem to do the majority of the food shopping so your just really buying extra. I spend about £60 a month on food, the fact that you might want to buy the protein powder as well and the fact that your parents buy some food should probably atleast cancel each other out so I see no reason why it should cost you any more than that.

and seriously look into getting a contract or a different gym.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

/thread

The you what? What do you eat?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 9, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.