The Student Room Group

Cameron: Schools should increase focus on sport...

Scroll to see replies

All i did was the standard PE that they make u do and some tennis in my own time, that and walking to school and back everyday (i believe the walking helped a lot).

Apart from that i always have and probably will be a lazy **** with a diet that isn't too healthy, yet im not overweight and pretty healthy.

Typical politicians making a big deal out of minorities.

some people are not as lucky as others, but i believe that if people get fat it really is their own fault and problem, they are the ones who let it happen, without seeing the obvious causes and progression of the problem and without treating it.

Lack of education is a much bigger problem, look how much white trash there is these days.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 101
I hate sports at school. Just the way the teachers treat you. Eventually though, me and some others just started point blank refusing to do it, and the teachers give up on trying to make us do it. I felt more respect for them once they give me the option.

I do however, go jogging in my spare time, to keep fit. Forcing students to do sports to keep fit is pointless. Instead they should spend time educating people on why they should keep fit and how. Eventually some people will choose to do GCSE P.E, and the others will either find time to keep fit or they won't bother. It's our own bodies and we should be in control, especially in the GCSE years.
Original post by alittlepixiedust-
I grew up fit, happy and healthy without being forced to do sports in secondary school. Past year 10, I don't think I really turned up often, but I'd still get exercise through walking and jogging in my own time. Generally, you should be brought up to know what's good for you by the time you're in school.

And you're telling me that walking is a worthwhile form of exercise? I'll grant you jogging but only if you do it at least 3 days a week for miles on end.

Honestly, you lot will see the effects of no sport as a kid when you're hitting your mid-twenties.
Good luck trying to increase the amount of hours spent on PE. When we had swimming lessons it was almost guaranteed that about half of the girls in the class either wouldn't turn up that day or would come in with letters excusing them from participating :s-smilie: Same was true with outdoor things like hockey in winter, loads would turn up with letters from their parents excusing them. Not like the PE teachers could ignore the letters otherwise they got angry parents breathing down their neck dragging them in to speak with the principal.
Original post by fire2burn
Good luck trying to increase the amount of hours spent on PE. When we had swimming lessons it was almost guaranteed that about half of the girls in the class either wouldn't turn up that day or would come in with letters excusing them from participating :s-smilie: Same was true with outdoor things like hockey in winter, loads would turn up with letters from their parents excusing them. Not like the PE teachers could ignore the letters otherwise they got angry parents breathing down their neck dragging them in to speak with the principal.

Attendance rates on "sports days" are very interesting.

Even more so are the number of students that turn up later if they find out the day has been canceled due to rain......

Although i must say, students being dragged out of classes for sporting events when they are doing vital coursework is equally annoying.
Original post by KimKallstrom
And you're telling me that walking is a worthwhile form of exercise? I'll grant you jogging but only if you do it at least 3 days a week for miles on end.

Honestly, you lot will see the effects of no sport as a kid when you're hitting your mid-twenties.

Walking is surely more worthwhile than someone who drives everywhere? I'm not calling it a sport but exercise to do someone good doesn't have to be an actual sport.

Meh, as long as I keep my diet decent I'm sure I'll be okay in my mid twenties, I've always wished that I could put on more weight. Plus it's only like 5 years away. Maybe mid thirties I'll start the gym or something.

My point anyway is that sport just doesn't really interest me much, and I'm sure it's not for everyone. I agree growing up as a kid you should be getting involved in PE lessons bla bla, but also encouraged to do things by your parents. But it's just HOW much sport to be honest.
Original post by alittlepixiedust-
Walking is surely more worthwhile than someone who drives everywhere? I'm not calling it a sport but exercise to do someone good doesn't have to be an actual sport.

Meh, as long as I keep my diet decent I'm sure I'll be okay in my mid twenties, I've always wished that I could put on more weight. Plus it's only like 5 years away. Maybe mid thirties I'll start the gym or something.

My point anyway is that sport just doesn't really interest me much, and I'm sure it's not for everyone. I agree growing up as a kid you should be getting involved in PE lessons bla bla, but also encouraged to do things by your parents. But it's just HOW much sport to be honest.

If you want to gain weight then get into squatting down the gym with barbells and your weight will balloon.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the other stuff.

I experienced both (non-ghetto) South African and British comprehensive education systems. In SA we did sports allll the time like they do in Australia. It's a far healthier way of life. Sure, not everybody enjoys it or were suited to it but school isn't about doing what you want.

Serious, I don't even know why there is even a dispute that sport every day is beneficial for you.
(edited 11 years ago)
One other point I'd like to make is that you cannot control what kids do at home.

Back in the day it didn't really matter so much in this regard since kids played outside all the time anyway and were active. Now tons are practically sedated.

But the main one is food at home. Millions of kids eat utter crap. Tons of carbs like chips, potato things and all of that so they are either fat now or they will explode some their twenties.

So they need enforced exercise for their own good.
Original post by hassi94
Don't forget that that £7000 pays for the salary of teachers, cleaners, cafeteria staff, caretakers as well as smaller things like textbooks, exam entries, new desks/chairs, updating computer equipment etc.

Everyone should have some form of physical activity that they take part in. Usually - since most people find running and weightlifting boring - this means taking up a sport. I believe it's good to focus on sport but yes, more funding is required to focus on anything beyond sports that are already common. Maybe a greater focus on some of the lesser known sports would make Britain more successful at the Olympics (not saying we're not successful, but we definitely could be more so).

Yes, but the £3,500 private school fees pays for teachers, cleaners, cafeteria staff, caretakers, as well as smaller things like textbooks, exam entries, new desks/chairs, updating computer equipment etc.

There is exercise, and there is sport. You don't need to play a competitive sport to exercise. Schools can't see this, and the sooner they do, the sooner more pupils will participate. You don't need expensive equipment to exercise! Jogging around the local park is frew

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by anthonyfl
Yes, but the £3,500 private school fees pays for teachers, cleaners, cafeteria staff, caretakers, as well as smaller things like textbooks, exam entries, new desks/chairs, updating computer equipment etc.

There is exercise, and there is sport. You don't need to play a competitive sport to exercise. Schools can't see this, and the sooner they do, the sooner more pupils will participate. You don't need expensive equipment to exercise! Jogging around the local park is frew

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yes but most of the people being targeted here are not the people who go jogging out of their own accord.

What private school charges £3500 per year!? My local private school (and this is in hull - one of the cheapest cities in the UK) charges 3k per term, that's £9k per year. Add to that all the money you have to pay to keep up with friends (ski trips, expensive clothes and sporting equipment, the £300 uniforms and other things) then it's even more.
See i must agree with Boris here the difference in the attitude to sports between the state and private sector is horrific! When i went to a private school there was 2 hours of either Rugby/football/hockey/tennis/athletics/swimming/cricket each day not to mention saturdays and wednesdays where that would double... As soon as i went to a state school well none of that, it wasnt through lack of equiptment they had all the necessary bits and bobs, bar a pool [however they were entitled to use the schools pool which was 2minutes drive away] but we had what 1 hours 'sport' a week? even that was barely comparable to real sport i mean the rugby was always touch [they were scared one of the little darlings might get hurt] same with the Hockey [only plastic sticks and tennis balls to use] etc. etc. there seemed to be a specific culture of alienating people from sport in favour of piss take subjects like PSHE, Citizenship etc. If people want their kids to be good and enjoy sport rather than ending up some fat cock glued to his/her computer all day let them go out and get a few bruises etc. its character building.
Original post by cl_steele
See i must agree with Boris here the difference in the attitude to sports between the state and private sector is horrific! When i went to a private school there was 2 hours of either Rugby/football/hockey/tennis/athletics/swimming/cricket each day not to mention saturdays and wednesdays where that would double... As soon as i went to a state school well none of that, it wasnt through lack of equiptment they had all the necessary bits and bobs, bar a pool [however they were entitled to use the schools pool which was 2minutes drive away] but we had what 1 hours 'sport' a week? even that was barely comparable to real sport i mean the rugby was always touch [they were scared one of the little darlings might get hurt] same with the Hockey [only plastic sticks and tennis balls to use] etc. etc. there seemed to be a specific culture of alienating people from sport in favour of piss take subjects like PSHE, Citizenship etc. If people want their kids to be good and enjoy sport rather than ending up some fat cock glued to his/her computer all day let them go out and get a few bruises etc. its character building.

Private schools have considerably longer school days, often have lessons on weekends. You seem to be blaming this on state schools? Are you surprised when sports form a minor (if important) part of education and make minimal impact on league tables and OFSTED reports that schools focus their time in other areas?

Yeah, this whole "character building" thing, as someone who used to be a small, skinny little kid at a private school, getting repeatedly stuck at the bottom of the rugby ruck and having people hit me with hockey sticks when the teacher wasn't looking was decidedly "character building"..... institutionalised bullying more like. Whereas there was zero encouragement to get stuck into a wider range of sports until very late. I actually enjoyed squash, badminton and was pretty good at sailing, but there was no encouragement to excel in those areas and all efforts were focused on the "traditional" school sports. Looking at my build now (6'4", 70kg) I would have fit a number of those alternate sports, but as i didn't fit the "rugby" or "football" mould so got no attention.

Rugby, Football and Hockey have their place, but so do a vast range of other sports that will appeal to those who do not excel in those areas. Look at the medal table, how many medals have we won in Football or Hockey compared to Rowing, Sailing, Cycling, Taekwondo, Boxing, Gymnastics, or Track/Field? How is "more of the same" ensuring THAT Olympic legacy? Competitive sport takes many forms and doesn't have to be defined by full contact.

With regards to "ending up some fat cock", as much as I love Boris sometimes there are some people who would find this a rather accurate description of HIM, or many of the other public schoolboy politicians. :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by gingerbreadman85
Private schools have considerably longer school days, often have lessons on weekends. You seem to be blaming this on state schools? Are you surprised when sports form a minor (if important) part of education and make minimal impact on league tables and OFSTED reports that schools focus their time in other areas?

Yeah, this whole "character building" thing, as someone who used to be a small, skinny little kid at a private school, getting repeatedly stuck at the bottom of the rugby ruck and having people hit me with hockey sticks when the teacher wasn't looking was decidedly "character building"..... institutionalised bullying more like. Whereas there was zero encouragement to get stuck into a wider range of sports until very late. I actually enjoyed squash, badminton and was pretty good at sailing, but there was no encouragement to excel in those areas and all efforts were focused on the "traditional" school sports. Looking at my build now (6'4", 70kg) I would have fit a number of those alternate sports, but as i didn't fit the "rugby" or "football" mould so got no attention.

Rugby, Football and Hockey have their place, but so do a vast range of other sports that will appeal to those who do not excel in those areas. Look at the medal table, how many medals have we won in Football or Hockey compared to Rowing, Sailing, Cycling, Taekwondo, Boxing, Gymnastics, or Track/Field? How is "more of the same" ensuring THAT Olympic legacy? Competitive sport takes many forms and doesn't have to be defined by full contact.

With regards to "becoming some fat cock", as much as I love Boris sometimes there are some people who would find this a rather accurate description of HIM, or many of the other public schoolboy politicians. :P

Actually if you think about it the only reason they have longer days is due to the sport, well at least at the one i went to the lessons finished at 4 like any other school then we had the sport. Mmm i'll conceed that i guess its a bit unfair to be comparing them in that regard as public schools are also assessed by parents [or at least the ones i spoke to] on their sporting prowess.

Haha dont worry i was the same, year 10 i held the princely stature of 5;3 made an excellent flanker though, i think what youre describing is more people just being cocks than anything to do with peoples size though, none of the smaller chaps on the teams i was in ever got assaulted in the way you just described unless theyd managed to irk someone enough :L
Mmm i guess it depends which school you attended with regards to your second point though, mine was an old navy school so they placed great emphasis on sailing, rowing etc. aswell as the traditional ones of Rugby, Cricket etc.

true, but full contact sports are quite fun :tongue:

alright i'l grant you that but to be fair to them, they are middle aged politicions, being well built in that profession isnt really the norm is it :wink:
Original post by cl_steele
Actually if you think about it the only reason they have longer days is due to the sport, well at least at the one i went to the lessons finished at 4 like any other school then we had the sport. Mmm i'll conceed that i guess its a bit unfair to be comparing them in that regard as public schools are also assessed by parents [or at least the ones i spoke to] on their sporting prowess.

Haha dont worry i was the same, year 10 i held the princely stature of 5;3 made an excellent flanker though, i think what youre describing is more people just being cocks than anything to do with peoples size though, none of the smaller chaps on the teams i was in ever got assaulted in the way you just described unless theyd managed to irk someone enough :L
Mmm i guess it depends which school you attended with regards to your second point though, mine was an old navy school so they placed great emphasis on sailing, rowing etc. aswell as the traditional ones of Rugby, Cricket etc.

The problem with the government is they want to implement private school policies in the state sector without spending any more money. PE teachers are already fantastic about giving up their time for after-school sport, heck most schools are still buzzing with activity long after the last bell for the day goes, but obviously that's not good enough as it's not "compulsory".

Yeah, in year 10 i was 5'5" and 6 stone. Not heavy or tall enough for the scrum, not fast enough to be a good back.

Should sport be actively encouraged - yes
Is competitive sport a good thing - yes

But equally, sport is also potentially divisive, and an area that negatively effects self esteem and self confidence. Surely it's better to encourage students who struggle with specific sports to look at alternatives, rather than dooming them to be picked last for teams and be the person running around that no-one will pass the ball to.

Likewise, short of a considerable lengthening of the school day for state schools (and surely consequent pay increases for teachers, as well as rising school overheads on electricity etc), there is simply not the time to implement 2 hours of sport a day without destroying the existing curriculum. Is it fair for students to lose 4 GCSEs worth of lesson time when they may not be good at sport?

There is also frankly, not enough PE teachers to provide it, my school has 1200 students in years 9-11, and about 8 PE teachers (many teaching another subject as well). Assuming groups of 30 (which honestly is probably too large to do any proper coaching and improvement), that's 40 classes, which need 2 periods of sport a day, so 80 periods to be taught. That's 10 periods per teacher, per day, not taking into account GCSE PE lessons or the teacher's A-level teaching. There are only 5 periods in a day. The math doesn't add up.

In short, not enough time, not enough money, not enough teachers.

Quick Reply

Latest