The Student Room Group

Anybody else hate Alex Salmond?

Maybe hate is a strong word but I dislike the man intensely.

His toad face
His smugness
The gibberish he talks
His policies

Anyone else have a similar feeling? or do you love him?

Scroll to see replies

I'm with you. For sure.
Reply 2
He's a large twit, he raves on about Scottish independence whilst whole-heartedly avoiding it, because he knows Scotland will crumble on its own.
Reply 3
At least his actions can have consequence, OP.
Reply 4
I don't hate him, but he irritates me. The way he uses historical incidents to push independence when, to be quite frank, it's what is going on right now that's more important.
Reply 5
Probably the politician I hate most apart from Labours husband and wife team.
Reply 6
Pretty annoying but no way near as much as I hate Ken Livingstone.
Reply 7
He's a member of the Scottish Rite. I'm indifferent towards the man.
Reply 8
Yeah he has a face like a wrinkled ballbag.

He has lots of delusionary ideas about how important and powerful he is
Reply 9
Hate him utterly.
This is basically the Unionist argument in Scotland in a nutshell - "We hate Alex Salmond" so independence is bad. In effect this is the only policy that the Scottish Labour and Conservative parties have at this time.

In all seriousness though, I think you're all being a bit unfair on the great man. Sure, he's not everyone's cup of tea and has some undesirable traits, but then so do we all. He's also a politician and not auditioning to be the face of Paris Fashion week, so what he looks like is completely immaterial.

To be honest, he is probably the foremost politician in these islands at the moment. He's streets ahead of Cameron, Clegg, Osborne and Milliband and light years ahead of the Unionist camp in the Scottish Parliament. He runs circles around all of them, before they've even got up for breakfast.

I think he genuinely cares about Scotland - perhaps too much - and that is something a lot of Scots are not used to seeing in their politicians. Many of those Scottish politicians are only interested in fattening themselves upon on the Westminster gravy train, treating Scotland purely as a power base in order to make their mark on another stage down in London and settling for second best when it comes to doing things for Scotland. The politics of second best has been the politics of Scotland for too long.

I also think, uniquely amongst politicians, he has something he actually believes in. You might not agree with that belief (and that is perfectly legitimate) but it is a vision, an end-point he wishes to see. The only vision most other politicians have is the one of the power, perks and the privilege of office - and they can't even get that right when they get into office.
Reply 11
Original post by Globaltourist
This is basically the Unionist argument in Scotland in a nutshell - "We hate Alex Salmond" so independence is bad. In effect this is the only policy that the Scottish Labour and Conservative parties have at this time.

In all seriousness though, I think you're all being a bit unfair on the great man. Sure, he's not everyone's cup of tea and has some undesirable traits, but then so do we all. He's also a politician and not auditioning to be the face of Paris Fashion week, so what he looks like is completely immaterial.

To be honest, he is probably the foremost politician in these islands at the moment. He's streets ahead of Cameron, Clegg, Osborne and Milliband and light years ahead of the Unionist camp in the Scottish Parliament. He runs circles around all of them, before they've even got up for breakfast.

I think he genuinely cares about Scotland - perhaps too much - and that is something a lot of Scots are not used to seeing in their politicians. Many of those Scottish politicians are only interested in fattening themselves upon on the Westminster gravy train, treating Scotland purely as a power base in order to make their mark on another stage down in London and settling for second best when it comes to doing things for Scotland. The politics of second best has been the politics of Scotland for too long.

I also think, uniquely amongst politicians, he has something he actually believes in. You might not agree with that belief (and that is perfectly legitimate) but it is a vision, an end-point he wishes to see. The only vision most other politicians have is the one of the power, perks and the privilege of office - and they can't even get that right when they get into office.

It isn't the only argument that other parties have it's just the only one that Nationalists pay attention to :angry: (note, I actually like the SNP, just not Alex Salmond or the reality of independence. It would be nice if Scotland could go it alone, but from all the evidence I've looked it we can't. Plus, with the job I want to do in the future it benefits me for us to stay as one big, happy country)
Original post by closey95
It isn't the only argument that other parties have it's just the only one that Nationalists pay attention to :angry: (note, I actually like the SNP, just not Alex Salmond or the reality of independence. It would be nice if Scotland could go it alone, but from all the evidence I've looked it we can't. Plus, with the job I want to do in the future it benefits me for us to stay as one big, happy country)

Well, good luck to you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being motivated by self-interest. I just wish more Unionists were honest about their motives, when it comes to framing their arguments, so we can put them in their proper perspective.

May I enquire what evidence you've looked at that says Scotland is uniquely incapable of standing on its own two feet?

It's a very funny argument these days. Twenty years ago (in polite society as well as ordinary political discourse) it was de rigeur and fashionable to portray an independent Scotland as the Albania of north-west Europe or as a poor relation to the likes of Mozambique or Bangladesh. Yet, these days no Unionist would ever argue on such terms. It is a startling about-turn.

Scotland, they say, "is fully capable of going it alone and it would be a prosperous country, but we don't think it should leave the United Kingdom because of [reasons unclear and yet to be defined]".

It is also a funny argument because if Scotland was incapable of becoming independent, it wouldn't say very much about the United Kingdom's governance and stewardship of Scotland's economy and resources would it?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
What a silly little man Salmond is.
Reply 14
I don't hate him. I certainly don't respect him. I think he plays on people's prejudices, sacrifices good policies for populist nonsense, relies entirely on rhetoric and frequently misrepresents things.

I know plenty of people who think he's smug, or sneering, or bitter etc. I've never really bothered about that. As far as I'm concerned, politicians aren't there to be your best friend anyway.

This is basically the Unionist argument in Scotland in a nutshell - "We hate Alex Salmond" so independence is bad.

Jesus Christ himself could head the Scottish nationalist movement and it'd still be a backward, ill-considered and generally ridiculous political fa... er... force.

No he isn't and no he doesn't. He's won some elections; that does not a great politician make. His parliamentary performances frankly embarrass Scottish politics.
Reply 15
Not hate, but yes I really dislike him.
Reply 16
Lets face it, this is guy all guns blazing going on about independence and how Scotland are going to be one of the most well of countries in Europe yet he's left dumbfounded when he's asked, 'So what currency will Scotland be adopting?'.

Surely he would have thought about that by now?
Original post by L i b
Jesus Christ himself could head the Scottish nationalist movement and it'd still be a backward, ill-considered and generally ridiculous political fa... er... force.

Leaving the political bigotry and delusional arrogance aside for one minute, I think we can all agree it is a perfectly legitimate objective to seek the end of the UK. One might not agree with it - and that's fair enough.

Original post by L i b
No he isn't and no he doesn't. He's won some elections; that does not a great politician make. His parliamentary performances frankly embarrass Scottish politics.

In terms of the political 'game' and in terms of tactical manoeuvring, he's light years ahead. His performances in the Scottish Parliament are not helped by the incontinent baboons on the Unionist benches squawking at every syllable he utters, which means he has to become a bit shouty to get his point across.

I agree however that Holyrood is worse than Westminster when it comes to debate.
Original post by rmpr97
Lets face it, this is guy all guns blazing going on about independence and how Scotland are going to be one of the most well of countries in Europe yet he's left dumbfounded when he's asked, 'So what currency will Scotland be adopting?'.

Surely he would have thought about that by now?

I think the answer to that question sir, is "Sterling for the time being". It's pretty well documented.
Reply 19
I think the answer to that question sir, is "Sterling for the time being". It's pretty well documented.

Yes, but a) some English MP's are against this, and it would have to go through parliament obviously

b) Why would England let Scotland still 'live off' the pounds after voting for independence.

c) Salmond is clear he's joining the EU yet new joining countries need to adpot the Euro.

So, which is it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending