The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing Hamlet, however we've done a lot of texts this year and Hamlet is our last one, and we're only on Act 2 at the moment. So unless I find it absolutely fantastic for essays once we're finished, i'll probably ignore it in my revision; I have another novel, 2 short stories and 5 poems to fall back on.
Reply 61
Original post by adelaideelspeth
i'm doing lord of the flies, as for hamlet, i'd go on sparknotes or bitesize.. it's really good and gives you really good quotes, highlights the important stuff and gives some old past paper questions etc :smile:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english_literature/dramahamlet/

http://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/hamlet/

Thats amazing thanks.

Apparently an essay question on Simon is more than likely to come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aay
Thats amazing thanks.

Apparently an essay question on Simon is more than likely to come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no problem :smile: aah, i hope not.. i would much rather it was a question on ralph, piggy or jack!
Reply 63
oohh I'm doing Hamlet! Have you talked about any important quotes / key scenes / themes? We have literally done nothing...:confused: :s-smilie:
Reply 64
Original post by Aay
As in title, just wondering if anyone is doing:

Lord of the flies
Hamlet
You'll take a bath- Iain C Smith
You lived in glasgow- Iain C Smith

My main concern is hamlet, what are the main areas I should be looking at because from looking at pastpapers, a question is more than likely to pop up.

:smile:

Ahhh Iain Crichton Smith!! I did higher English last year and I did You'll Take a Bath, Iolaire and Two Girls Singing by him for poetry. I love his work :smile: I've also read Lord of the Flies. If you need any help at all in that regard then you know where to ask!

Last year I also did The Crucible for drama, The Catcher in the Rye and The Exercise for prose. If you need any help regarding close reading or whatever then again, you know where I am :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by Panda124
Last year I also did The Crucible for drama

I'm doing The Crucible this year! I find it quite interesting and quite easy to write about but theres one thing I struggle with - insight. I do try to put it in but I sometimes feel i lack. Got any tips? :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by skier16
oohh I'm doing Hamlet! Have you talked about any important quotes / key scenes / themes? We have literally done nothing...:confused: :s-smilie:

We did at the start, but good old me has forgotten :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Original post by CSM1996
I'm doing The Crucible this year! I find it quite interesting and quite easy to write about but theres one thing I struggle with - insight. I do try to put it in but I sometimes feel i lack. Got any tips? :smile:

Yeah sure, but what exactly do you mean by insight? Do you mean your own insight into all you texts in general, or insight specifically as a literary technique in The Crucible? Actually I'll just tackle both, haha...

Okay, so I maybe shouldn't really say this but it's worked for me thus far, but really it's all about manipulation. I think that with English you can pretty much make up whatever analysis you like (within reason of course)! There isn't really a right or wrong answer (unless it's quite obviously daft and a total mile out), but I think if you have a fair grasp of literary techniques and what they're used for then you can pretty much spot them and apply them to quotes you've learned in whatever way you choose. Learning quotes for each theme, key scenes, prominent characters (e.g. protagonist, antagonist, minor characters, relationships between characters, etc) and techniques that a playwrite uses will help loads. When I did higher English (and to some extent this year with advanced higher), I found that a lot of my quotes overlapped into other areas, so you can say more than one thing about them, which makes them really applicable. I found that a lot of my close reading practice actaully made me better at critical essays. The literary techniques employed in those passages are used in all aspects of English, so really your close readings are secrets weapons! Best book I ever bought was How to Pass Higher English - AMAZING! Close reading is ridiculously easy when you know how to do it, and when you've learned every technique and its function properly then it become much easier to spot and apply to your set texts. That book got me an A band 1; I still use it now and I'm taking it to uni with me in September! Literary techniques are much more formulaeic than you'd realise, and once you've mastered the formulas then I think you become better at insight into texts.

Now, with regards The Crucible... I can't say I've ever known a literary technique to be simply called insight, but perhaps I'm being a wee bit thick and know it as something else? Insight just seems a bit of a broad term considering it just means understanding; the techniques they ask you on always seem to be a bit more specific than that, or they'd ask about insight regarding a specific area of the text, so what do you mean here? Do you mean the insight that each character has to their situation, or themselves, or foreshadowing in the play (i.e. insightfulness), or did you just mean a deeper understanding of the play itself? If there's any specific areas of the play you want insight into then gimme a shout :smile:
Reply 68
Ahhh Iain Crichton Smith!! I did higher English last year and I did You'll Take a Bath, Iolaire and Two Girls Singing by him for poetry. I love his work :smile: I've also read Lord of the Flies. If you need any help at all in that regard then you know where to ask!

Last year I also did The Crucible for drama, The Catcher in the Rye and The Exercise for prose. If you need any help regarding close reading or whatever then again, you know where I am :smile:

Perfffectt.

With you'll take a bath I think I understand it the best and got 19 in prelim. I need to refresh my memory of it basically.

We are still doing lord of the flies, do you think an exam question is likely? Did you do it in yours? My hamlet mark was poor because there was too much to cover.

If you have any tips in general about how to deal with my essays please say :tongue:

Close Reading:hand:

Where do I start? I have those books, will working through them be sufficient? Im worried that I have like no time left:frown:

uploadfromtaptalk1363385781947.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Original post by CSM1996

Haha I gave you the completely wrong title for that book - my bad! It's Hodder and Gibson Publishing, Higher English Language Skills, and it's got this picture of a boy studying on the front of it. It's a kinda pink/purple/blue coloured book. Get it if you can!
Reply 70
Original post by Aay
Perfffectt.

With you'll take a bath I think I understand it the best and got 19 in prelim. I need to refresh my memory of it basically.

We are still doing lord of the flies, do you think an exam question is likely? Did you do it in yours? My hamlet mark was poor because there was too much to cover.

If you have any tips in general about how to deal with my essays please say :tongue:

Close Reading:hand:

Where do I start? I have those books, will working through them be sufficient? Im worried that I have like no time left:frown:

uploadfromtaptalk1363385781947.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

19 is great, well done :smile: this should be noted, SQA don't award odd numbers for your essays. So you'll get either 25, 23, 21, 19, 17, 15, 13, 11, 9, 7, 5 (I won't go that low, it's a bit ominous :P). Yeah although you sound like you know it fairly well if you got 19! I got 19 and 21 for my prelim essays and with my close reading it came to an A. Don't know my exact marks for the final exam but I got an A band 1 :smile: I'm honestly not sure, you can't always predict what questions will come up and I only read Lord of the Flies for fun, but still I'm doing advanced English this so you learn how to analyse any text pretty well, so if you've got any questions then I'll be happy to help! I did my exam essays on The Catcher in the Rye and The Crucible. It's a shame you're not doing The Crucible, there is ALWAYS at least one Crucible question every year! Still, I think Catcher and Lord of the Flies have got a lot in common, both about mad youngsters and all that jazz :P you should look at past paper questions to see what questions haven't came up for a few years. Consider what themes and possible things you could be asked about with each text like with characters, setting, literary techniques, themes, relationships, key scenes, etc and make sure you've plenty of quotes learned for each! Bear in mind they won't ask last year's questions (shame, as it was a gift of a paper, I just about peed myself with excitment lol, there was only like 2 questions I couldn't answer!).

Okay make sure you have plenty of time. Close reading is your secret weapon for essays. See all those techniques they ask you about and you need to learn? Well aye, they're in your set texts too, like everywhere! If you can understand literary techniques and what they're used for then you're essays will be better as you'll spot more things. Best book is by Hodder and Gibson, Higher English Language Skills. Honestly, it's the best thing ever, I still use it in advanced higher and I'm taking it off to uni with me in September (I realise I sound like a H&G saleswoman here). You just need to know how to manipulate your quotes between topics. ALWAYS have a plan too, even if you write it in at the end, as it gets you extra marks. Also, mind your grammar, spelling and punctuation. Poor usage is heavily penalised.

Right, Close reading is not impossible!! This is a HUGE misconception! It's actually very formulaeic. See when it asks you for 3 marks, write 3 bullet points, don't ramble off at a tangent. There are formulae for questions. E.g. linking questions you do it like this: "(quote line) links back to... (quote word) serves as a link between the two topics/sentences, and(quote line) links forward to.." Then with imagery questions use this: "just as...so..." Another tip, don't tell the marker what for example a metaphor or a simile or a semicolon is. They've got at least a degree in English, so they absolutely know! They want to see WHAT it does, WHY is it used, HOW does it contribute to the overall text? So don't state the fact, EXPLAIN the fact. Often it's much easier to spot stuff than you'd realise. See when it talks about sentence structure? Don't read it at first. Locate the bit of the passge, then just stare it. What jumps out? Typeface? Numerical digits? Specific punctuation marks like colons, parenthesis, etc.? Chances are that's what you need to explain and say how it works. If it says three marks or whatever, write down three things. Buy that book I told you, learn the formulae, and what each technique means and it's uhc easier. Seriously, I got an A band 1, but at the start of the year doing close reading I would get like 10 or 11 out of 30, which is quite clearly terrible! But that book helped me loads. But close reading is absolutely not impossible to practice or learn, don't believe anyone that tells you that. There is absolutely still time :smile: When people say stuff about failing, I always pull out my higher maths story. I did two prelims, and failed both, one about 4 weeks beofre the exam. I got a B. It's bever too late. Never used the books you have so I can't judge how good they are, sorry :/
Reply 71
19 is great, well done :smile: this should be noted, SQA don't award odd numbers for your essays. So you'll get either 25, 23, 21, 19, 17, 15, 13, 11, 9, 7, 5 (I won't go that low, it's a bit ominous :P). Yeah although you sound like you know it fairly well if you got 19! I got 19 and 21 for my prelim essays and with my close reading it came to an A. Don't know my exact marks for the final exam but I got an A band 1 :smile: I'm honestly not sure, you can't always predict what questions will come up and I only read Lord of the Flies for fun, but still I'm doing advanced English this so you learn how to analyse any text pretty well, so if you've got any questions then I'll be happy to help! I did my exam essays on The Catcher in the Rye and The Crucible. It's a shame you're not doing The Crucible, there is ALWAYS at least one Crucible question every year! Still, I think Catcher and Lord of the Flies have got a lot in common, both about mad youngsters and all that jazz :P you should look at past paper questions to see what questions haven't came up for a few years. Consider what themes and possible things you could be asked about with each text like with characters, setting, literary techniques, themes, relationships, key scenes, etc and make sure you've plenty of quotes learned for each! Bear in mind they won't ask last year's questions (shame, as it was a gift of a paper, I just about peed myself with excitment lol, there was only like 2 questions I couldn't answer!).

Okay make sure you have plenty of time. Close reading is your secret weapon for essays. See all those techniques they ask you about and you need to learn? Well aye, they're in your set texts too, like everywhere! If you can understand literary techniques and what they're used for then you're essays will be better as you'll spot more things. Best book is by Hodder and Gibson, Higher English Language Skills. Honestly, it's the best thing ever, I still use it in advanced higher and I'm taking it off to uni with me in September (I realise I sound like a H&G saleswoman here). You just need to know how to manipulate your quotes between topics. ALWAYS have a plan too, even if you write it in at the end, as it gets you extra marks. Also, mind your grammar, spelling and punctuation. Poor usage is heavily penalised.

Right, Close reading is not impossible!! This is a HUGE misconception! It's actually very formulaeic. See when it asks you for 3 marks, write 3 bullet points, don't ramble off at a tangent. There are formulae for questions. E.g. linking questions you do it like this: "(quote line) links back to... (quote word) serves as a link between the two topics/sentences, and(quote line) links forward to.." Then with imagery questions use this: "just as...so..." Another tip, don't tell the marker what for example a metaphor or a simile or a semicolon is. They've got at least a degree in English, so they absolutely know! They want to see WHAT it does, WHY is it used, HOW does it contribute to the overall text? So don't state the fact, EXPLAIN the fact. Often it's much easier to spot stuff than you'd realise. See when it talks about sentence structure? Don't read it at first. Locate the bit of the passge, then just stare it. What jumps out? Typeface? Numerical digits? Specific punctuation marks like colons, parenthesis, etc.? Chances are that's what you need to explain and say how it works. If it says three marks or whatever, write down three things. Buy that book I told you, learn the formulae, and what each technique means and it's uhc easier. Seriously, I got an A band 1, but at the start of the year doing close reading I would get like 10 or 11 out of 30, which is quite clearly terrible! But that book helped me loads. But close reading is absolutely not impossible to practice or learn, don't believe anyone that tells you that. There is absolutely still time :smile: When people say stuff about failing, I always pull out my higher maths story. I did two prelims, and failed both, one about 4 weeks beofre the exam. I got a B. It's bever too late. Never used the books you have so I can't judge how good they are, sorry :/

First of all, thanks alot for such a great reply, now give me a few mins in order to read it :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Haha, np! :tongue:
Reply 73

Yeah thanks man, thats really helped. Im in the 30s for my close reading but looking to improve. I have used the language skills in class so ill ask to borrow one of them for close reading.

I have a formula sheet thing aswell for close reading like you said so ill be sure to put that to use.

With regards to prelims, im in such a **** situation to be honest. I fell quite ill during the prelims, sat them anyway as I wanted them over with. I ended up with Chem and Physics 70%+ English and Bio 60%+ and a really really crappy 58% in maths. English is improvable, Bio ive been in the 80-90%s in class unit prelims, which are of pastpaper standard. Maths is maths lol, what can i do about that eh.

See im wanting to do medicine and cant find the motivation anywhere, ive started studying, struggling to fit everything in and basically really worried.

Sorru for the rant, crap wee mood!

Thanks for the help with english seriously :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
Original post by Aay
Yeah thanks man, thats really helped. Im in the 30s for my close reading but looking to improve. I have used the language skills in class so ill ask to borrow one of them for close reading.

I have a formula sheet thing aswell for close reading like you said so ill be sure to put that to use.

With regards to prelims, im in such a **** situation to be honest. I fell quite ill during the prelims, sat them anyway as I wanted them over with. I ended up with Chem and Physics 70%+ English and Bio 60%+ and a really really crappy 58% in maths. English is improvable, Bio ive been in the 80-90%s in class unit prelims, which are of pastpaper standard. Maths is maths lol, what can i do about that eh.

See im wanting to do medicine and cant find the motivation anywhere, ive started studying, struggling to fit everything in and basically really worried.

Sorru for the rant, crap wee mood!

Thanks for the help with english seriously :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! If you can "borrow" it (i.e. just accidentally forget to give it back, I'm well skilled in that trick!) then that's even better. Yeah that'll really help.

Seriously I don't know why you're worried, those are fantastic prelim results! Someone close to me passed away recently after a year long illness. Studying amidst that was hard and I thought I'd defnitely fail everything, but I got 42% in my maths prelim then got a B! I ended up with 3 As and 2 Bs, and one of my As was an advanced higher. My point is that with the right attitude, hard work and dedication then anything is possible. At times it seems like things have gone t*ts up, but if you try your best you'll do great. If you don't then what's for you won't go by you. There's more to life than school. It doesn't always seem like it, but there's so much more :smile:

Y'know if that was an exam you'd have walked away with As in Chemistry and Physics, Bs in Biology and English and a very narrow miss on a B in Maths. Those are fantastic, and most people that study improve by around 20% from their prelim result onwards! And nobody likes maths. Ew.

Wow, I have a friend doing medicine at uni and he loves it! It's very full-on though and so competitive. You do need awesome grades and a good enough UKCAT score, but if you work for it you'll be fine. Everyone gets that feeling at this time of year. This is the busy point so don't worry. I find that everything tends to sort itself out in the end. You're best is all anyone can ask of you, and all that you have to give. And if it turns out that your best doesn't fit a uni course, then think of it as that uni course didn't fit you!

It's fine, writing can be ridiculously cathartic :smile:
Reply 75
No problem! If you can "borrow" it (i.e. just accidentally forget to give it back, I'm well skilled in that trick!) then that's even better. Yeah that'll really help.

Seriously I don't know why you're worried, those are fantastic prelim results! Someone close to me passed away recently after a year long illness. Studying amidst that was hard and I thought I'd defnitely fail everything, but I got 42% in my maths prelim then got a B! I ended up with 3 As and 2 Bs, and one of my As was an advanced higher. My point is that with the right attitude, hard work and dedication then anything is possible. At times it seems like things have gone t*ts up, but if you try your best you'll do great. If you don't then what's for you won't go by you. There's more to life than school. It doesn't always seem like it, but there's so much more :smile:

Y'know if that was an exam you'd have walked away with As in Chemistry and Physics, Bs in Biology and English and a very narrow miss on a B in Maths. Those are fantastic, and most people that study improve by around 20% from their prelim result onwards! And nobody likes maths. Ew.

Wow, I have a friend doing medicine at uni and he loves it! It's very full-on though and so competitive. You do need awesome grades and a good enough UKCAT score, but if you work for it you'll be fine. Everyone gets that feeling at this time of year. This is the busy point so don't worry. I find that everything tends to sort itself out in the end. You're best is all anyone can ask of you, and all that you have to give. And if it turns out that your best doesn't fit a uni course, then think of it as that uni course didn't fit you!

It's fine, writing can be ridiculously cathartic :smile:

Haha yes.... borrow.... :wink:

Ahh I keep telling myself that but to be honest at times you feel like utter crap, like I personally think all my studying was a waste cos eventually I was in and out hospital the week before my prelims and they were back to back, literally 2 a day. Im hoping to improve, I have started studying and have been for a while, to be honest my life revolves around it at the moment haha. For medicine yeah I know, im going to sit these highers, if all goes well sit the ukcat this year and if i fail Ill have next year to resit it for 2014 entry. Im doing the whole extra curricular stuff aswell and my deputy head is kinda helping me out. Its all happening, i just need to secure these grades.

Yeah maths can be a pain in the arse, ive picked it at AH to fill a column, will soon regret it. And the wee thing about the uni course not fitting you- never really thought of it like that :tongue:
!
What are you hoping to do? What you sitting this year :smile: Not seen you around!
Reply 76
Original post by Aay
Haha yes.... borrow.... :wink:

Ahh I keep telling myself that but to be honest at times you feel like utter crap, like I personally think all my studying was a waste cos eventually I was in and out hospital the week before my prelims and they were back to back, literally 2 a day. Im hoping to improve, I have started studying and have been for a while, to be honest my life revolves around it at the moment haha. For medicine yeah I know, im going to sit these highers, if all goes well sit the ukcat this year and if i fail Ill have next year to resit it for 2014 entry. Im doing the whole extra curricular stuff aswell and my deputy head is kinda helping me out. Its all happening, i just need to secure these grades.

Yeah maths can be a pain in the arse, ive picked it at AH to fill a column, will soon regret it. And the wee thing about the uni course not fitting you- never really thought of it like that :tongue:
!
What are you hoping to do? What you sitting this year :smile: Not seen you around!

Aw, that really sucks :/ my boyfriend was in hospital loads before he passed away, but when he still had plans to go back to school he was offered a repeat year to catch up. Appeals are few and far between with the SQA, but if you can get a medical note and you and your school honestly feel it's affected your academic performance you could try get appeals if need be? I don't think you should think that way though - tell yourself you can! Tell me about it, I have no life haha! Well exactly, there's always the prospect of a gap year, that might not be a bad thing. Well that's great then that you've got support in that regard. You'll be fine, you already sound like you're doing well!

Ooft, good luck with that, haha! Well, there's always alternatives of looking at things. Finding an alternative outlook makes you use your brain more :tongue:

This year I'mdoing advanced higher Enlgish, and I'm crashing both advanced higher art and higher biology. Biology was a biiig mistake but the other two are okay. Well, I always wanted to do music, and applied to RCS (Royal Conservatoire of Scotland in Glasgow) for voice but got rejected for being too young. Tbh though it's not that suprising, singing voices develop later and a lot of singers wait till they're a little older and their voice is more settled. So, I applied for an English degree in the meantime, then I'll apply for music again once I'm done with that if I still want to. I got unconditionals for English and Scottish Literature at Glasgow and Aberdeen, rejections from St Andrews and Edinburgh (I more than met their entry requirements, but didn't get any conditionals) and I haven't heard back from Dundee yet. I'm going to go to Aberdeen, can't wait! :biggrin: I made an account earlier this year but only decided to use it today haha!
Reply 77
Aw, that really sucks :/ my boyfriend was in hospital loads before he passed away, but when he still had plans to go back to school he was offered a repeat year to catch up. Appeals are few and far between with the SQA, but if you can get a medical note and you and your school honestly feel it's affected your academic performance you could try get appeals if need be? I don't think you should think that way though - tell yourself you can! Tell me about it, I have no life haha! Well exactly, there's always the prospect of a gap year, that might not be a bad thing. Well that's great then that you've got support in that regard. You'll be fine, you already sound like you're doing well!

Ooft, good luck with that, haha! Well, there's always alternatives of looking at things. Finding an alternative outlook makes you use your brain more :tongue:

This year I'mdoing advanced higher Enlgish, and I'm crashing both advanced higher art and higher biology. Biology was a biiig mistake but the other two are okay. Well, I always wanted to do music, and applied to RCS (Royal Conservatoire of Scotland in Glasgow) for voice but got rejected for being too young. Tbh though it's not that suprising, singing voices develop later and a lot of singers wait till they're a little older and their voice is more settled. So, I applied for an English degree in the meantime, then I'll apply for music again once I'm done with that if I still want to. I got unconditionals for English and Scottish Literature at Glasgow and Aberdeen, rejections from St Andrews and Edinburgh (I more than met their entry requirements, but didn't get any conditionals) and I haven't heard back from Dundee yet. I'm going to go to Aberdeen, can't wait! :biggrin: I made an account earlier this year but only decided to use it today haha!

Im sorry to hear about your loss. Yeah ive started my studying, focusing forward now rather than looking back :tongue:

And tell me about it, the amount i need to do even after exams is frustraating, maybe it will be worth it in the end...

And oh sounds hard, nice one on the unconditionals, im sure you'll get to where you want to be soon enough!
Reply 78
Original post by Aay
Im sorry to hear about your loss. Yeah ive started my studying, focusing forward now rather than looking back :tongue:

And tell me about it, the amount i need to do even after exams is frustraating, maybe it will be worth it in the end...

And oh sounds hard, nice one on the unconditionals, im sure you'll get to where you want to be soon enough!

That's okay, thank you. On the whole it's made me a much better, stronger and more thankful person, and I appreciate everything in life. Experience either makes you or breaks you, and I choose to let it help me to help others. That's a very good plan. Take it from one who knows - you have 2 eyes that can look forward, left and right, up and down, but never backward. There's a reason for that.

It definitely will :smile:

Thank you, and finger crossed!
Reply 79
That's okay, thank you. On the whole it's made me a much better, stronger and more thankful person, and I appreciate everything in life. Experience either makes you or breaks you, and I choose to let it help me to help others. That's a very good plan. Take it from one who knows - you have 2 eyes that can look forward, left and right, up and down, but never backward. There's a reason for that.

It definitely will :smile:

Thank you, and finger crossed!

Thats nice :smile: True that though, it does make or break you. Here's hoping :tongue:

Just looking forward to the 1st of june!

Latest

Trending

Trending