The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Aay
Thats nice :smile: True that though, it does make or break you. Here's hoping :tongue:

Just looking forward to the 1st of june!

Aw, is 1st of June when you finish up? I technically finish in like April/May, which is terrifying - I feel old haha! I go on study leave in like April/May, but after that I have nothing to go back for (except my prom on the 5th)!
Has anybody's teachers got predictions for the essay questions this year?
Reply 82
Can anyone tell me what kind of essay questions i'd need to use Romeo+Juliet to answer? just my English teacher has my jotter which has all this written in...
Out of interest, how many times have all of you read your set texts?
I am studying Death of a Salesman and The Great Gatsby as my texts in Drama and Prose fiction respectively, and have read them each three times (one initial read, two more for detailed note taking).
I am considering reading each one more time, but I am concerned that this may be rather excessive and not be particularly beneficial.
I've read mine twice, but everybody is different, do what you think is right :smile:
Reply 85
I have no idea what quotes to learn for Hamlet and Lord of the flies:eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by Panda124
Aw, is 1st of June when you finish up? I technically finish in like April/May, which is terrifying - I feel old haha! I go on study leave in like April/May, but after that I have nothing to go back for (except my prom on the 5th)!

Yeah first of june is when my exams finish, three weeks later i get my driving licence :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Original post by Aay
I have no idea what quotes to learn for Hamlet and Lord of the flies:eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

HAMLET! I'm doing it as well - if you want I could send you some of the quotes I use. I've got no idea how good they are (possibly not very) but at least it's a start!:biggrin:
Reply 88
Original post by skier16
HAMLET! I'm doing it as well - if you want I could send you some of the quotes I use. I've got no idea how good they are (possibly not very) but at least it's a start!:biggrin:

That'd be amazing, and kind of you. Yeah I haven't looked at my novels and plays yet, dealt with poems today and some close reading.

Feel the urge to study more, i've just got home :frown:
Reply 89
Original post by Aay
That'd be amazing, and kind of you. Yeah I haven't looked at my novels and plays yet, dealt with poems today and some close reading.

Feel the urge to study more, i've just got home :frown:

You study way into excess, you shouldn't be so worried if you are studying the amount you say that should be well enough!

To join in the conversation about how many times I've read my novel/play, the answer is once :L
Reply 90
Original post by CSM1996
You study way into excess, you shouldn't be so worried if you are studying the amount you say that should be well enough!

To join in the conversation about how many times I've read my novel/play, the answer is once :L

Well take today for example, i was up at 7 for college from 9-11 for english revision course which was quite good. Had hospital at 2 then from 3 to 8 i was at library typing and writing notes for my poems.

My best mate says it's excess aswell, he think im off my crackpot with the amount I do, I'm just paranoid methinks.

And haha nice maann, one's plentyyy
Original post by Aay
Well take today for example, i was up at 7 for college from 9-11 for english revision course which was quite good. Had hospital at 2 then from 3 to 8 i was at library typing and writing notes for my poems.

My best mate says it's excess aswell, he think im off my crackpot with the amount I do, I'm just paranoid methinks.

Sorry for butting in, but how long has it taken you generally to improve your CR skills? I'm looking to push my marks into the high 30s by the time of the exam. I got 28/50 in the prelim, but then again I left a few answers unfinished and only managed to make 1 argument for the 5 marker. I bought the "How to pass" book today and am hoping to go through the 2008-2012 past papers this week.
Reply 92
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Sorry for butting in, but how long has it taken you generally to improve your CR skills? I'm looking to push my marks into the high 30s by the time of the exam. I got 28/50 in the prelim, but then again I left a few answers unfinished and only managed to make 1 argument for the 5 marker. I bought the "How to pass" book today and am hoping to go through the 2008-2012 past papers this week.

Well for english, what I have done it go through the language skills book which is really good, condensed it and made my own set of notes from that and the how to pass book. Also I have a close reading book by hodder and gibson and have been working through that. Basically created like a formula thing for myself as to how to answer say, tone questions.

And I've only started my texts today. I havent done any exam situation pastpaper practice only questions from the books, hope to get in a pastpaper at some point this week and put into practice what I've done.

Trust me I'm nothing, i got 28/29 aswell and also looking for the A.
Original post by Aay
Well for english, what I have done it go through the language skills book which is really good, condensed it and made my own set of notes from that and the how to pass book. Also I have a close reading book by hodder and gibson and have been working through that. Basically created like a formula thing for myself as to how to answer say, tone questions.

And I've only started my texts today. I havent done any exam situation pastpaper practice only questions from the books, hope to get in a pastpaper at some point this week and put into practice what I've done.

Trust me I'm nothing, i got 28/29 aswell and also looking for the A.

I'm planning to go the library tomorrow because my house is just too full of distractions. Hopefully I'll be able to get a few solid hours of revision done. I was just doing some CR practice and writing out quotes for Gatsby. Annoyingly, I seem to have left my copy of Romeo and Juliet at school. :frown:
At least the folio provides some sort of cushioning and it's reassuring to know that the English A grade boundary has been 65% or so for the past couple of years. :P
Reply 94
Original post by ladymarshmallow
I'm planning to go the library tomorrow because my house is just too full of distractions. Hopefully I'll be able to get a few solid hours of revision done. I was just doing some CR practice and writing out quotes for Gatsby. Annoyingly, I seem to have left my copy of Romeo and Juliet at school. :frown:
At least the folio provides some sort of cushioning and it's reassuring to know that the English A grade boundary has been 65% or so for the past couple of years. :P

That's good :smile: Yeah after college at 11 oclock im going to the library tomorrow till 7ish to study human bio. Today I have only managed to do two of my texts, practice opening paragraphs for critical essays and some close reading. I am so tired, these 7 oclock starts are painful haha! Not sure whether to go to sleep or do some work.

You could try the library for a copy? Godknows what I'm going to do for Hamlet.

And true, but what if our marker is having a really ****t day, then what :frown:
Reply 95
Original post by Aay
Yeah first of june is when my exams finish, three weeks later i get my driving licence :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woo - exciting stuff! I'm 18 on Friday, and I still can't drive... :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Original post by Aay

Omg... do you have to pay for english revision course??

And omg 3 to 8... of none stop studying, I could only managed an hour and a half before taking a short break. Otherwise I would go insane :tongue: Plus I only study in my house, i haven't been in the library at my town since I was like 4 haha.

I agree with your mate... crackpot sounds about right.
Reply 97
Original post by CSM1996
Omg... do you have to pay for english revision course??

And omg 3 to 8... of none stop studying, I could only managed an hour and a half before taking a short break. Otherwise I would go insane :tongue: Plus I only study in my house, i haven't been in the library at my town since I was like 4 haha.

I agree with your mate... crackpot sounds about right.

Yeah you pay for these courses, I did them for chemistry, physics, maths and english. All really useful.apart from maths.

And yeah I need to start studying at home aswell, went to the library today after college and was absolutely mobbed. Like seriously packed with students like ive never seen. Ive just got home, contemplating sleeping or studying.... Hmmmm.

Thanks bro, ill let him know you agree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Original post by Panda124
Woo - exciting stuff! I'm 18 on Friday, and I still can't drive... :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Happy early birthday thennn :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
Original post by Aay
Happy early birthday thennn :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile