Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Non-disclosure of grades

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Will a firm take away a TC offer if they discover you did not disclose one of your GCSE grades?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why would you not disclose it? It's a C (i.e. you passed it) ... :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some firms will ask for GCSE transcripts but not most, I THINK. I haven't disclosed a U in Graphics (overslept through the exam, oops) but my justification is that it doesn't count as one of my obtained GCSEs. I really can't see that affecting my chances. I wouldn't worry too much.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    This thread is also on rollonfriday. You'll only encounter problems if you lie about grades - you don't have to disclose something if you don't want to. I failed an 'Advanced Extension Award' in French (so it's graded U) and obviously did not disclose that..
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you didn't disclose an A-level that would be taken seriously. Failing to disclose a GCSE is a bad idea, but I think you will get away with it. Before I started my TC I had to provide original A-level certificates, original degree certificate and account for everything I'd done in the last few years (including time spent sititng on my butt at home), but I don't think they asked about GCSEs.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Mine asked for my GCSE certificates but they don't seem to be too anxious about those. A-Level and Uni transcripts were a must though.

As for non-disclosure...I'm sure they wouldn't be too happy.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What about non-discosure of general studies? I don't put this A-Level on my applications because I know no one cares.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    If you didn't disclose an A-level that would be taken seriously. Failing to disclose a GCSE is a bad idea, but I think you will get away with it. Before I started my TC I had to provide original A-level certificates, original degree certificate and account for everything I'd done in the last few years (including time spent sititng on my butt at home), but I don't think they asked about GCSEs.
    Is this the norm for when you start a training contract?! Or was it some sort of outsourced operation? Was your offer conditional upon you accounting for everything you'd done?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suffocation1992)
    Is this the norm for when you start a training contract?!
    Sounds like someone's in trouble.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is this the norm for when you start a training contract?! Or was it some sort of outsourced operation? Was your offer conditional upon you accounting for everything you'd done?
    This was outsourced, but I think all the large firms outsource. The offer was expressed vaguely, on satisfactory background checking or something like that. I think they covered the past 2 years in detail and the key qualifications from A-level up. If there was a problem I imagine the outsourcer would escalate this to the firm who would decide what to do.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brevity)
    Sounds like someone's in trouble.
    Not at all, but I took a gap year where I worked full time, but have had jobs since then, I just wondered whether firms would want to contact all the previous employers? I imagine it's just a check for dates worked rather than a character reference.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, but I took a gap year where I worked full time, but have had jobs since then, I just wondered whether firms would want to contact all the previous employers? I imagine it's just a check for dates worked rather than a character reference.
    Yeah like obtaining a reference from my previous employer wouldn't be a problem but it would for my employer up until July 2011 as the management has completely changed!
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I qualified, the firm outsourced the checking function and they checked all dates for the last two years or so. It was purely a date check not a character reference. If there was a problem verifying what you were doing for a period longer than 2 or 3 weeks (e.g. employer can't be contacted, or you were travelling) you had to sign a declaration.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    When I qualified, the firm outsourced the checking function and they checked all dates for the last two years or so. It was purely a date check not a character reference. If there was a problem verifying what you were doing for a period longer than 2 or 3 weeks (e.g. employer can't be contacted, or you were travelling) you had to sign a declaration.
    Did they still ASK for your GCSE grades in the form you filled out with the company it was outsourced to?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 7, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.