Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Official TSR Student Life Photo Society - Assignment #1: "Results"

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 82 followers

ReputationRep:
    Following the success of recent photography competition on TSR we’re launching our own photography society! It will be a bit of fun, but we’re also looking to use the photos you produce in our official TSR materials both on the site and offline (including the homepage). It will be a great way for you to be creative, competitive and to have your photography used by one of the top sites in the UK, TSR!

You definitely don't need to be a photographer to take part! You just need any old camera, an iPhone would do the job if you can hold it steady

HOW IT WORKS
    Every two weeks we’ll set members a photography assignment based on a word or phrase and the best examples that fit our brief will be picked by our design team to use as official TSR images.

STYLE GUIDE
    We want your photos to get real! All we want are every day photos that reflect your life as a student. Photos that are natural and human. Click the spoiler below for some examples of dos and don'ts...

Spoiler:
    Show

So people pictures shouldn’t be posed and cheesy like this:

No no no!

They should be more like this:

And objects should convey some humanness, for example we wouldn’t use a picture of a bed like this:

No no no

A photo of a bed that we would use would always show that someone has slept in it – human contact/humanness. Like this:

TECHNICAL DETAILS
    This is a Photoshop and Instagram free zone folks! Please check the simple techy details by clicking this spoiler too...

Spoiler:
    Show

• Photos should be in colour and shot in landscape.
    • Photographs should not be treated or enhanced in any way - no photoshop and no instagram please
    • We want to see your pictures in all their glory, so please don't compress them. They should be at least 72 dpi resolution but 150-300 dpi would be even better Or submit a low res version and then we can get the high res directly from you if uploading is a problem
    • Images should aim to be sharp and well lit (unless the subject requires otherwise – but the change should be on purpose).
    • When you submit your photo tell us a bit about it, when and where it was taken, what’s its story.

IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ
    Because we would like to use your photos on the site and in print, by entering the society you are confirming that you took your photo entry yourself, that you have the permission of any people that are shown in a photo to use that shot and that you agree for it to be used us on The Student Room site and promotional materials.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do the photographers get credit if their photo is selected? What about copyright? Does it stay with the photographer or does it go to TSR/Acumen PI?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    This isn't going to end well.
    • 82 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    Do the photographers get credit if their photo is selected? What about copyright? Does it stay with the photographer or does it go to TSR/Acumen PI?
    Yeah, we'll look to add in credit where we can - i'd have to check what this includes, but I also like the idea of having a standalone page with credits to various users, where they were used and when.

Copyright as I understand stays with the photographer, we only have permission to use the image as we wouldn't be allowed to pass it on or use it for other reason other than what's been mentioned.

Hope that answers your questions If the sun's out this weekend I might try and snap a few myself...Brighton's not bad for this kind of thing.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Great idea unfortunately I won't be able to enter this one, but hopefully in a few weeks time there will be once I can enter
    • 82 followers

ReputationRep:
    Assignment 1: “Results”

We’re ready for our first ever Student Life photo assignment and it’s around the theme of ‘results’ – what else!
    We’ll leave that up to you to interpret. Remember our style guide in the original post and remember, we’re looking for natural, every day photos
    • 3 followers

(Original post by CJ)
    Assignment 1: “Results”

We’re ready for our first ever Student Life photo assignment and it’s around the theme of ‘results’ – what else!
    We’ll leave that up to you to interpret. Remember our style guide in the original post and remember, we’re looking for natural, every day photos
    I really want to bring my camera tomorrow to take some pictures, but then I will look incredibly weird.
    • 82 followers

ReputationRep:
    My results day was spent in TSR HQ with our lovely UCAS advisors:
    - although I didn't take that.

Any eating lots of cake (and a couple of grapes too):

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    WOOOOW i d like to apply for a job in TSR~~~
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ)
    My results day was spent in TSR HQ with our lovely UCAS advisors:
    - although I didn't take that.

Any eating lots of cake (and a couple of grapes too):

You get to have cake on results day, every year?
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avery)
    WOOOOW i d like to apply for a job in TSR~~~
    Those picture don't work for TSR. They're all volunteer mods who gathered together at a TSR office to deal with queries on the forums on results day. Obviously there are jobs at TSR though (how else would the company succeed ).
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Where are the photos?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No photos anyone?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think peopl really take photos, it's more or less school that does.
    • 140 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    This isn't going to end well.
    Pipe down, Sir. :rolleyes:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Me on the local news, does this count?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Me Look North.jpg 
Views:	1054 
Size:	339.5 KB 
ID:	169364
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purple Giraffe)
    Me on the local news, does this count?
    Aw happy faces there; I assume it went well for you?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I made a youtube video instead more to help those who didn't do so well and how to get them through it and my opinion !http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rWyd...ature=youtu.be
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bromine)
    Aw happy faces there; I assume it went well for you?
    Yeah not too bad! I got into uni with AAB so cue the happy face
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangoh)
    First post!

What channel was this?

Looks American tbh

Not that I have problem with this
    It says look north? So that'll be the BBC One.

American results day photos would involve more special effects, explosions and of course product placement.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 23, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.