The Student Room Group

Law coursework urgent help needed!!

i am stuck on this particular essay question and dunno how to even begin it. can someone please help me or give me suggestions on how i should write it? Here's the question:

Donnie loans his bicycle to his girlfriend Serena. When the relationship ends, he sends Serena several texts asking for his bicycle to be returned. Serena does not reply to any of these texts, and, so, Donnie decides to go to Serena’s house when he knows she is at work to take the bicycle back. On arrival at Serena’s house, Donnie checks that no-one is looking and then climbs over the garden wall. He grabs his bicycle which is lying on the grass. Angry that Serena has left his bicycle lying around in such a careless manner, he smashes a garden gnome against the wall of the house.
As he is leaving, Donnie is met by Serena’s sister, Verona. Unaware that the bicycle actually belongs to Donnie, she throws her handbag at him to prevent him escaping with the bicycle. The bag misses Donnie, but hits the bicycle causing Donnie to fall off. According to Verona in her later statement to the police, Donnie then “went crazy”. He grabbed a screw-driver that was sitting on a nearby window ledge and attacked Verona, slashing her on the face and upper body several times.
When Verona arrives at hospital, she is given several stitches and is prescribed medication to prevent infection. Verona, however, becomes very depressed as a result of the injuries sustained, particularly the fact that scarring will result. She refuses to take the medication given and dies two weeks later as a result of blood poisoning. On arrest, Donnie is sent for psychiatric assessment. He is diagnosed with a serious mental disorder which prevents him from controlling his violent rages.

Assess Donnie’s criminal liability.

Quick Reply

Latest