The Student Room Group

Mayor of london wants Kids to do 2hr of sport each day

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ocelot92
2 hours of revision or 2 hours of sport?

A more pertinent question would be:

2 hours of sport or 2 hours of dicking around on your computer?
Reply 21
Where is this going to fit in to the timetable?
I think it's a good idea in principle (kids doing more exercise), but one which falls apart when you take into account other factors such as funding, the rest of the lessons kids already have, and the focus the government has already said it wants to put on things like science and maths. It's just not something I can see being easily brought in, and if it was, it would almost certainly be to the detriment of other things if the school day was not extended. I also feel that making kids do something isn't going to have the same effect as getting them inspired to do something either - in fact I think it'll do the exact opposite - kids who don't want to do it wont once they leave school, and the problem will persist.

Originally Posted by dentymenty
Reduce the number of drama and music lessons (to 50 minutes each a fortnight), they were a complete waste of time when I was in secondary school and I achieved nothing from them.
Agreed, we shouldnt take anymore time from core subjects

Actually yeah that might be a feasible way of increasing the amount of P.E kids do :smile: - Thing I found with music and drama though was that we only had 1hr a week of it anyway, same with other subjects which could be considered "less important" so to speak, like wood tech, art and so on (food tech though, is arguably just as important, teaching kids to cook proper food with healthy ingredients). I think if it were to be implemented though they would have to extend the school day at some point just to make it fit, even if they did cut back on drama, music, art and so on.

If the PE teachers I had started telling me to do 2 hours a day, then I would go out of my way to avoid it. I experienced most of my bad experiences of school in PE, so glad I don't have to do it anymore.

This is the other thing too - kids that hate PE will just go out of their way to avoid it, or just carry on doing crap in it and simply wait it out until they don't have to do it again. It may help if groups were better divided really too (which they already are), or if different sports were available, or ones less set around physical skill. Jogging for example. But again it comes down to cost and time constraints. This isn't something I feel which could be tackled by schools alone, it'd have to be partly done at home, and then at school (so... 1 P.E lesson a day for an hour, 1hr exercise at home)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by dentymenty
Reduce the number of drama and music lessons (to 50 minutes each a fortnight), they were a complete waste of time when I was in secondary school and I achieved nothing from them.

Agreed, we shouldnt take anymore time from core subjects
Original post by KimKallstrom
lmao people spend hours and hours on this site, watching TV, playing computer games, doing all kinds of uselessness and you'll have us believe we have no room for both school work and sport?

No wonder this nation is full of obese creatures.

I am just saying these extra PE hours should not be taken away from core subjects
Original post by Meteorshower
Walking is great for you, don't be ridiculous. Sport is a good way to get young people interested in being physical active but I tell you if you walk 2 hours a day you'll be fit.

Isn't the recommended amount (by the government) something like thirty minutes of brisk walking two to three times per week? In that case, two hours of sport per day would be a massive step up! :tongue:
Original post by morecambebay
Do you think that he gets his two hours?

Doesn't look like much of a kid to me though? (Your views on his personality etc. aside!)

I have no studies to hand so can't prove anything - but I've seen several reports on the matter saying that despite public opinion to the contrary, kids don't actually do any less exercise now than they did 50 years ago etc. - it's primarily diet that is responsible (though of course, extra exercise could still off-set a bad diet to a degree).
If the PE teachers I had started telling me to do 2 hours a day, then I would go out of my way to avoid it. I experienced most of my bad experiences of school in PE, so glad I don't have to do it anymore.
Original post by thegodofgod
Isn't the recommended amount (by the government) something like thirty minutes of brisk walking two to three times per week? In that case, two hours of sport per day would be a massive step up! :tongue:

The recommended minimum for adults is something like that. But as with most government health suggestions relating to diet and exercise, it's pretty meaningless. Like the ridiculous 5-a-day scheme - the reason they chose 5 isn't because that's a healthy amount, it's because they didn't think they could convince anyone to eat any more! Yet now, most people seem to see it as a target to loosely aim for, instead of the absolute bare minimum the advisors wanted it to be!
Original post by thegodofgod

Yeah it is, but that's the minimum anyone should be doing. I think it's definitely better to aim higher.
Original post by morecambebay
Do you think that he gets his two hours?

Sorry I forgot that the mayor of London is a child in secondary school.
Reply 31
If you replace sport with exercise it's a nice ideal tbh. Where exercise can be just walking somewhere

brb, just walking somewhere.

Original post by dentymenty
And sold school playing fields.

How much, of how many, and why?
I want this legacy of 2012 to last, for kids to aspire to become athletes is head and shoulders over aspiring being on a moronic Simon Cowell reality show.
Walking is great for you, don't be ridiculous. Sport is a good way to get young people interested in being physical active but I tell you if you walk 2 hours a day you'll be fit.

Walking DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING..

We have been walking since 2/3 years old, that's a good 20 years ~ of walking, our bodies are conditioned to walking, it's so pointless.
Reply 34
Pfft, hiding in the library or helping out in the special ed department without permission was hard enough for two hours a week, if it were every day I'd probably die!
Original post by BaldFadedBrother
Walking DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING..

We have been walking since 2/3 years old, that's a good 20 years ~ of walking, our bodies are conditioned to walking, it's so pointless.

Yeah walking is only good if you are morbidly obese and/or do not walk at all ever.

Or if you walk for literally about 10 hours a day.
Reply 36
Shut up Boris, you mug.
Reply 37
If he has kids, then I want to see his kids do the 2 hour walk first, each day!
Reply 38
Well then I'll be quite glad to tell the Mayor that he can **** right off.
Good idea in theory, but two hours seems a bit much. Maybe one hour a day would be an easier target?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending