The Student Room Group

Mayor of london wants Kids to do 2hr of sport each day

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
i couldn't cope with two hours of sports a week :frown: it's just not me to enjoy it, im not fat either
Original post by KimKallstrom
Yeah walking is only good if you are morbidly obese and/or do not walk at all ever.

Or if you walk for literally about 10 hours a day.

Go for a 10 mile walk and then tell me that does nothing for your health.
Original post by Jono404
Also, does he not realise his party have just implemented a tax on sports nutrition products?

Which have very little affect on your average athlete?

Results from them only really show on professionals. Therefore why not tax them?
Reply 43
I wanted to say that two hours of physical exercise is excessive. Children are not seasoned athletes. Again, it is a case of politicians not seeing physical exercise in its proper context. An hour of physical exercise each day or three days a week is more than enough for optimal results for children, even into senior level.
Reply 44
Original post by SirMasterKey
Which have very little affect on your average athlete?

Results from them only really show on professionals. Therefore why not tax them?

Someone watched Panorama and thinks they're an expert.

Things like whey protein are vital to anyone who lifts weights and doesn't want to spent a ****load on meats, as well as to vegetarians who lift. The point is people who are trying to better themselves, like the government has been encouraging them to do, are being hit with a tax, while people who gorge on McDonalds and KFC aren't. You don't tax a positive externality, you tax a negative one, that's one of the first things you learn in economics.
PE should be like paramilitary training. :colone: Bring in some ex-commandos or something.
Reply 46
Lol at the people saying walking is exercise enough, you probably walk miles a day just by doing general stuff.

I'm for exercise personally, but I doubt it will stop people turning into obese creatures as people are lazy and will try and find a way out of it.
Reply 47
My problem with PE lessons in particular is that I hated team sports. I didn't enjoy the feeling of competing with my mates, and I hated the idea of being relied upon not to mess up (which I usually did). I still do.

The other problem I had was one lesson we'd be playing basketball indoors (not especially taxing when you're trying to avoid getting involved, for reasons stated above), and then the next it's a 3 mile run!

It wasn't until I was 18 that I discovered how enjoyable running actually is, and what clinched it for me was the personal experience of doing something by myself, with no other goal other than working hard and beating my own times, rather than trying to unrealistically keep up with the rugby boys as I did when I was younger.

Extending PE lessons to two hours (I assume they won't have one lesson in the morning, and one in the afternoon) wouldn't have worked for me for that reason.

I have a lot of sympathy for PE departments in this, team sports aren't only preferred because they supposedly build morale and encourage team work (both were for the most part nonsense in my day...), they're also preferred because it's much cheaper to have one ball and two teams, than it is to have half a dozen tennis courts and a dozen racquets for example (and a million tennis balls when they inevitably go missing)

The way to get kids active is to find something they like, not force them to do something they hate for longer, and I think it needs to be activities outside of school that need more help and encouragement to achieve that.

Personally I'd rather see more school time devoted to woodwork, cookery, textiles, electronics, computing/programming etc.
I think variety and choice is essential if they want to increase hours spent, otherwise we still end up with high obesity, as kids skive off or as adults because they hated sport so much at school they stop excercising once they leave school.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 49
Original post by Jono404
Also, does he not realise his party have just implemented a tax on sports nutrition products?

gooby pls.
Reply 50
Original post by faithxfaye
i couldn't cope with two hours of sports a week :frown: it's just not me to enjoy it, im not fat either

no, but you will be unhealthy.
Reply 51
I'd rather eat a full bag of sweet chilli sensations playing Battlefield in my wifebeater and boxers.

Yes.
Reply 52
Sports and exercise really ought to be done outside of school. That way there's more variety of courses open to the student. I never found there to be very much education in Physical Education, and school is supposed to be about teaching kids.
Original post by AspiringGenius
If the PE teachers I had started telling me to do 2 hours a day, then I would go out of my way to avoid it. I experienced most of my bad experiences of school in PE, so glad I don't have to do it anymore.

Bad experiences in PE? like what? Being picked last?
And I want him to collect the bins frequently on time and without fuss.
Original post by Jono404
Someone watched Panorama and thinks they're an expert.

Things like whey protein are vital to anyone who lifts weights and doesn't want to spent a ****load on meats, as well as to vegetarians who lift. The point is people who are trying to better themselves, like the government has been encouraging them to do, are being hit with a tax, while people who gorge on McDonalds and KFC aren't. You don't tax a positive externality, you tax a negative one, that's one of the first things you learn in economics.

And yet not all those who buy sports products actually need them. Yes the government should been encouraging people to better themselves but to do it by removing the tax on sports products? You can better yourself without them so why not put a tax on them.

As for McDonalds and KFC, yes I think there should be a tax on them and a subsidiary on healthier foods however in general the healthier foods cost more to actually import, produce. They are then a bit more expensive and so some people to actually eat and live, live on junk food, rightly or wrongly, as it the only 'meals' they can afford.
Two hours of doing what exactly ? I don't think its the amount but what is actually going on within these sports leasson. I remember P.E just consisting of the boys going outside to play there beloved football and the rest of us being inside being left to our own devices which usually didnt pass anything apart from idle chatting and the odd game of badminton.

They need to be taught different techniques on different sports. Not just of heres a bat now go play. -_- More smaller concentrated groups with the focus on skill and fitness. Then we can talk about increasing hours.
Original post by BaldFadedBrother
Bad experiences in PE? like what? Being picked last?

Being picked last was the smallest thing on my mind.

When I first started high school, I was bullied both verbally and physically. My PE teacher (who was also my tutor) told my parents "he is too intelligent and should try to use normal words, as the other children don't like it."- they went for me because of a speech impediment.

The PE teachers I had had little sporting or eventing credentials, and were of sub-par intelligence. If anything happened to me, they would justify it as "banter" or "jus' some fun". An example would be when the best cricket bowler managed to bowl properly for everyone, and then for me suddenly started aiming for the head. I always ended getting bruises from every lesson- even if ti were non contact sport.

I wasn't that bad at any sport (except maybe football or rugby, but our curriculum was composed of about 60% of that), but I was made to feel **** because I wasn't the best. I had terrible experiences in the changing room etc.

That's all I can think of the top of my head. But yeah, PE was the low of my education. The PE teachers basically endorsed bullying, and they didn't want to do anything about it, because strangely the perpetrators were the star pupils.
Original post by SirMasterKey
They are then a bit more expensive and so some people to actually eat and live, live on junk food, rightly or wrongly, as it the only 'meals' they can afford.

Thing is though basic fruit and veg is really not expensive. Carrots, dirt cheap, onion, dirt cheap, broccoli, pretty cheap if you buy it loose, especially from market stalls, or shops like Aldi/Lidl. Basic bags of apples, cheap, bananas, cheap. I could go on, for price per gram of product, veg is generally cheap.

I see lots of families coming in to the store I work at (Iceland) and buying say 5 £1 ready meals. Now if it's a single elderly shopper, I understand ready meals can be cheaper then cooking for one at times. However if you're buying £5 of ready meals, if you look at how little meat you get in say a £1 lasagne, or £1 chicken curry, it would be cheaper if you purchased a small pack of chicken breast fillets, a cheap own brand curry sauce and a bag of rice. It would have less crap in it and you'd actually get a bigger portion for your money most likely.

Even for those living alone, it's still cheaper to make a big pot of stew, curry etc, and freeze individual portions.

Anyways, 2hrs a day is ridiculous if he wants to fit it into the school timetable and as said, a fair few kids dislike the type of P.E available. It's always the same for us depending on the season, football, cricket, gymnastics..that's about it.

A lot of kids hated football, they were picked last etc. I was picked like 4th from last tbf, but people did appreciate my determination even if I was pretty ****, I wasn't scared to run into the biggest built players to attempt to get the ball of them. But these guys would goal hang and just talk.

Instead of forcing everyone to do football, why not let them jog around the running track if they want? Or we had a few running and rowing machines, let them do that if they want. People often don't like because they don't get choice and if they're crap at sport, don't want to be doing team sports where they get blamed for being crap.
Original post by joey11223
Thing is though basic fruit and veg is really not expensive. Carrots, dirt cheap, onion, dirt cheap, broccoli, pretty cheap if you buy it loose, especially from market stalls, or shops like Aldi/Lidl. Basic bags of apples, cheap, bananas, cheap. I could go on, for price per gram of product, veg is generally cheap.

I see lots of families coming in to the store I work at (Iceland) and buying say 5 £1 ready meals. Now if it's a single elderly shopper, I understand ready meals can be cheaper then cooking for one at times. However if you're buying £5 of ready meals, if you look at how little meat you get in say a £1 lasagne, or £1 chicken curry, it would be cheaper if you purchased a small pack of chicken breast fillets, a cheap own brand curry sauce and a bag of rice. It would have less crap in it and you'd actually get a bigger portion for your money most likely.

Even for those living alone, it's still cheaper to make a big pot of stew, curry etc, and freeze individual portions.

Anyways, 2hrs a day is ridiculous if he wants to fit it into the school timetable and as said, a fair few kids dislike the type of P.E available. It's always the same for us depending on the season, football, cricket, gymnastics..that's about it.

A lot of kids hated football, they were picked last etc. I was picked like 4th from last tbf, but people did appreciate my determination even if I was pretty ****, I wasn't scared to run into the biggest built players to attempt to get the ball of them. But these guys would goal hang and just talk.

Instead of forcing everyone to do football, why not let them jog around the running track if they want? Or we had a few running and rowing machines, let them do that if they want. People often don't like because they don't get choice and if they're crap at sport, don't want to be doing team sports where they get blamed for being crap.

Then the problem is a lack of education on how to actually cook then and so we should have more of a focus on cookery lessons in schools. We had one that lasted only about 8 weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending