The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Game Development at UCLan

Hey guys! I'm an international student and I'm considering UCLan as one of my choices as it is close to where I would be staying in. I'm very interested in their Game Development course, but details are surprisingly scarce in their website.

Is there anybody here who is taking up Game Development in UCLan? How is the quality of teaching? The facilities? Are there any websites/videos that showcases the projects of students there?

Any input would be very much appreciated.
Here's two video I found on YouTube by searching "Game Development Uclan" (:

Hope these help (:!

[video="youtube;xyd128NIVqo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyd128NIVqo[/video]

[video="youtube;SQu85RUq9zk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQu85RUq9zk[/video]
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Reply 2
Ooh I made the bottom one :biggrin:

Just finished my second year, going on to do a placement this year. Really enjoying the course so far, facilities are great and tutors are top notch.
Reply 3
Thanks for the input, will be looking into the videos in a bit.

@aarong11: Can you expound more on what you said? How many computer laboratories are there? How are you guys assessed? Etc.
Reply 4
For games we have our own private lab with about 20 PCs. It gets pretty full near assignment deadlines but there are plenty of other labs in the same building.

In terms of assessment, it varies from module to module but it's a pretty good combination of assignments and exams (usually about 60/40). The first year is mostly geared towards getting everyone up to speed with general computing and maths stuff.

You will have a couple of programming modules teaching C++ from the ground up as well as a games concepts covering things like collision detection, trigonometry and general games architecture. The assignments usually ask you to implement a specified game (eg a racing game, pool or something like that). In the first year you use something called TL-Engine but in the second year you start to develop games from scratch using DirectX.
Reply 5
How's the difficulty of the course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending