The Student Room Group

UEA Medicine with a Foundation year a104 2013

Scroll to see replies

I'm not getting my hopes up for East Anglia. I think they use GCSE grades and UKCAT fairly heavily, and I didn't do incredibly well in either :confused: Always worth keeping your fingers crossed though.
Reply 41
Original post by Trafficongestion
I'm not getting my hopes up for East Anglia. I think they use GCSE grades and UKCAT fairly heavily, and I didn't do incredibly well in either :confused: Always worth keeping your fingers crossed though.

yeah you never know! :smile: so they don't use the PS at all? I know their email doesn't mention it.

UEA is not my first choice but I'd be happy to go there :smile: how about you?
Reply 42
Original post by Sheo
yeah you never know! :smile: so they don't use the PS at all? I know their email doesn't mention it.

Lol dw of course they use PS

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Sheo

It's not mine either, but I would love to go there. I only applied to 3 medschools this year :colondollar: What's your first choice and how are your predicted grades looking? I'm currently on A*AB.
Reply 44
It's not mine either, but I would love to go there. I only applied to 3 medschools this year :colondollar: What's your first choice and how are your predicted grades looking? I'm currently on A*AB.

yeah me too! :smile: I am actually a gap year student, didn't quite get the grades to apply for 5 year medicine but I am able to apply for foundation med, just hoping for the best! :smile:

ah that sounds good! where else are you applying? I'm applying for to soton, nottingham, and UEA for medicine. then biological sciences at leicester and undecided for my fifth choice.
Reply 45
I am in exactly the same position as you sheo! My fifth choice is Bradford though :smile: what are your gcse grades and ukcat like?

Reply 46
Original post by sortedguy
I am in exactly the same position as you sheo! My fifth choice is Bradford though :smile: what are your gcse grades and ukcat like?

ah that's cool! Leicester as well?! :biggrin: good choice of universities I see.. :wink: haha if you did, which one did you go for? I applied for biological sciences, physiology with pharmacology :smile:

ah I still have to decide on a fourth which may end up being the biomed course at newcastle.

I got 3A*s 6A's and 2B's and 660 for the ukcat. :smile: how about you?
Reply 47
Yeah I did :smile: I applied for biomedical sciences

Reply 48
Ahh that sounds good! And well done! That's really good! I got 1a* 6as and 3bs and my ukcat was 667.5 :smile:

Everyone received an email regarding the Social Contextual Questionnaire? :smile:
Original post by TheFootyKing19
Everyone received an email regarding the Social Contextual Questionnaire? :smile:

No, I haven't :smile:
Guys! I have a problem!

Basically I understand that you should have attended a school with less than 60% 5A*-C grades at GCSE as possible eligibility criteria. The problem is, my school converted into an academy and changed its name to become a Harris Academy in September 2012. On the government statistics website, my original school has data for 2011 but obviously Harris Academy Bromley does not. Do you think UEA will be okay with this? I attended the school in 2011 and so I am eligible. I have emailed but have not had a reply yet. :frown: Really worried guys... It's not the only eligibility criteria that I can tick off but it would be useful.

Also on my UCAS application it only says that I attended Harris Academy Bromley and not the original school as that was not an option and my school advised everybody to put down the new school as where I had done my GCSEs. Can someone please advise me?

Well done, I think that means you've successfully gone to the next stage of the application selection! :biggrin:
This was a post i saw for 2011 entry.

99% sure it's the same for US.

Applicant Number: 100000***

Dear **** ****

Thank you for your application to the MB/BS Medicine with a Foundation Year (A104) degree programme with the Norwich Medical School at the University of East Anglia. Your application has been received by the Admissions Office and will now be processed as below:

Primary Screening:*

When we receive your UCAS application it will firstly undergo an ‘academic screening'. This means we will check to make sure that you have (or are predicted to have) the academic qualifications that we required in order to be considered for this course. As part of this process, we also check that the UKCAT test has been taken in 2011.

Contextual Criteria:

If you meet the Academic requirements and have taken the UKCAT test, you will be sent (during December 2011) a social criteria questionnaire for your parent(s)/legal guardian(s) to complete, sign and return. You will also be asked to provide proof of the relevant social criteria.

Secondary Screening:*

Candidates who pass the academic and social criteria screening will have their personal statement and reference sections of the UCAS application form screened for suitability. All academic members of staff involved with the teaching of the MB/BS with a Foundation Year programme take part in this process. Each form is screened independently by two academics. The evidence we are looking for is listed on our website at:*

http://www.uea.ac.uk/med/course/6mbms/application

All sections are marked and the scores for each candidate are then standardised and ranked hierarchically for short-listing for interview.*

Interview:*

The top 96 applicants will be invited for interview. The majority of interviews will take place in March 2012.

Due to the volume of applications received, the above outlined process will take some time to carry out. We ask for your patience in allowing us to complete the necessary screening procedures for all applicants. We envisage that candidates who are short-listed for interview will be hearing from us mid- February 2012.

Please be assured that the Admissions Office has received your application and it is being thoroughly considered. Where possible we ask that candidates refrain from contacting the Admissions Office to check the progression of their application, as no further information can be given out during the screening process and your call will take time to deal with which could otherwise have been applied to the processing of applications.

If any of your personal details change at any point of the application process, it is important to inform our office by e-mail as soon as possible. You should also make UCAS aware of any changes.

Please note: The Admissions Office cannot accept any additional references or C.Vs from candidates.
This was a post i saw for 2011 entry.

99% sure it's the same for US.

Applicant Number: 100000***

Dear **** ****

Thank you for your application to the MB/BS Medicine with a Foundation Year (A104) degree programme with the Norwich Medical School at the University of East Anglia. Your application has been received by the Admissions Office and will now be processed as below:

Primary Screening:*

When we receive your UCAS application it will firstly undergo an ‘academic screening'. This means we will check to make sure that you have (or are predicted to have) the academic qualifications that we required in order to be considered for this course. As part of this process, we also check that the UKCAT test has been taken in 2011.

Contextual Criteria:

If you meet the Academic requirements and have taken the UKCAT test, you will be sent (during December 2011) a social criteria questionnaire for your parent(s)/legal guardian(s) to complete, sign and return. You will also be asked to provide proof of the relevant social criteria.

Secondary Screening:*

Candidates who pass the academic and social criteria screening will have their personal statement and reference sections of the UCAS application form screened for suitability. All academic members of staff involved with the teaching of the MB/BS with a Foundation Year programme take part in this process. Each form is screened independently by two academics. The evidence we are looking for is listed on our website at:*

http://www.uea.ac.uk/med/course/6mbms/application

All sections are marked and the scores for each candidate are then standardised and ranked hierarchically for short-listing for interview.*

Interview:*

The top 96 applicants will be invited for interview. The majority of interviews will take place in March 2012.

Due to the volume of applications received, the above outlined process will take some time to carry out. We ask for your patience in allowing us to complete the necessary screening procedures for all applicants. We envisage that candidates who are short-listed for interview will be hearing from us mid- February 2012.

Please be assured that the Admissions Office has received your application and it is being thoroughly considered. Where possible we ask that candidates refrain from contacting the Admissions Office to check the progression of their application, as no further information can be given out during the screening process and your call will take time to deal with which could otherwise have been applied to the processing of applications.

If any of your personal details change at any point of the application process, it is important to inform our office by e-mail as soon as possible. You should also make UCAS aware of any changes.

Please note: The Admissions Office cannot accept any additional references or C.Vs from candidates.

What did your latest email say? :smile: We all got this at the beginning :redface:
Yay! got the email about the questionnaire!
I'm so paranoid that it will get lost in the post -_-
Yeah. How much out of the 3 criteria do you fit?

I'm assuming the more of the criteria met, the greater the chances of interview bar a good PS + Reference.
Yeah. How much out of the 3 criteria do you fit?

I'm assuming the more of the criteria met, the greater the chances of interview bar a good PS + Reference.

I fit 2 of them. What about you? Umm, I don't actually know... I think it's just that you need to be eligible for at least 1 then you're considered equally to other applicants who have passed that stage? That's how BM6 at Soton is.
Reply 58
okay so i really can't be asked to read through the 4 pages of writing here... but i am one of the successful 25 applicants who made it in this year... i am more than happy to help anyone who may have questions or so on the course or general a104 life on uni campus however i am very rarely on tsr... so if you would like somewhat faster responses you may privately message me your emails and as such i shall contact you for you to initiate as such :smile: i can't publicise my email to public through a response here and there are just too many to individually send a private message to each of you with my email so feel free to contact me through here... i shall be checking tsr for the next week or so for private messages :smile:

to give a little profile: i got abb at a2, 647.5 average in ukcat and i am the representative for all a104 students of 2012 (so me + the other 24...), so i should in theory know quite a bit what its like to go through the whole a104 experience, which i do, but in reality i end up organising our get togethers and general fun :P i'm offering help as i know just how difficult it can be to apply for courses such as this one at uea... to be one of the 25 narrowed down from just under 1000 people... it's tough... and to clarify for people, when it says 25 people... there are only 25 that make it!
Reply 59

not true! even more so for uea!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending