The Student Room Group

UEA Medicine with a Foundation year a104 2013

Hey guys..
Woop woop my first thread on here! (",):danceboy:

So anyway, just started considering Medicine as a course to study at uni and browsing around, UEA's foundation course seems best for me because I haven't really 'prepared' for direct entry into Medicine..

So yeah, anyone else on here looking to apply for the same course? I think i'm abit early but oh well!
Most of us are probably in the process of drafting up a PS... I for one will start next week (She says).

I think Southampton offers a similar course too but not too fond of the university
- fallen a little bit in love with UEA :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What are the grade requirements?
1) AS grades (if any)
2) Overall A level grades
Don't think they specify an AS grade but they want BBB and ukcat... Check the UEA site for more info as there's also some other requirements!
Yep I don't see why not... If the bbbb is what you're expecting to get at AS level then maybe hold out a bit cos you may do better and could retake to bump grades up to AAA?

I kinda have to consider all the foundation year courses cos I won't be carrying on with Chemistry and didn't choose to do maths (blergh).
Hi, this is more for my girlfriend than me, but she is absolutely set on becoming a doctor/surgeon. She's done lots of work experience and has an unpaid job in a local hospital.
She has 6As and 5Bs at GCSE but unfortunately did not do good enough in her As's to be concidered for the standard 5 Year course.:frown:
Could this course be a good option for her?

She is also first gen university entry, and is from a very poor background...

Thank you :smile::smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
I've been asked to draw your attention to some changes to the A104 entry requirements.

In essence these comprise of 6 B's or higher at GCSE (including maths, english and a single science subject and BBB at A-level.

It is of particular note that the social criteria have changed slightly compared to previous years, they can be found at http://www.uea.ac.uk/med/medicine-health-policy-and-practice/mbbs-medicine-with-a-foundation-year#requirements

Please note that particular consideration for this course is given to those local to the area (East Anglia) and those whose parents hold no higher education qualifications.

Finally, please consult the FAQ section that can be found at the bottom of the above link before contacting the office with any queries.

Good luck with your applications!
Reply 6
The office have been getting a lot of enquiries regarding the A104 entry and have asked me to clarify a few points for you...

Anyone who meets the minimum entry criteria for the A100 course WILL NOT be considered for the A104 course, this includes those who are resitting A-levels.

In addition; A-level re-sit candidates, Graduates, Access to Higher Education Programmes, Pre Med Programmes, Foundation Degrees, Foundation Years, Nursing Diplomas, International or EU candidates are not eligible to apply for our A104 Programme.
Reply 7
Original post by UEAMedic
The office have been getting a lot of enquiries regarding the A104 entry and have asked me to clarify a few points for you...

Anyone who meets the minimum entry criteria for the A100 course WILL NOT be considered for the A104 course, this includes those who are resitting A-levels.

In addition; A-level re-sit candidates, Graduates, Access to Higher Education Programmes, Pre Med Programmes, Foundation Degrees, Foundation Years, Nursing Diplomas, International or EU candidates are not eligible to apply for our A104 Programme.

erm i dont qualify for the minimum gcse requirements and may not get the predicted 3As but could i still apply as i do fit the social entry requirements ?????
Reply 8
I'm applying! :biggrin:
Does a Distinction* in BTEC PE which is equivalent to (A*A*) count as in gcses?
Hello

I am wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice :smile:

I want to apply to the UEA foundation course as I got BBBB in my AS results and really want to do medicine, also I fit the special requirements about my secondary education being lower than national average, but my teachers have predicted me AAA for A-Level so I don't know whether they would consider me.

Also I'm doing a few resits in some of my AS modules will this affect my chances of getting a place?

I got an average UKCAT score of 2430 and in my GSCE's I got 2 A*'s, 7 A's and 4 B's

I am also applying to Keele, Lancaster and Hull/York for medicine and then Nottingham for biomedical science.

Thanks!! :smile:
Original post by Eleanorgrace22
Hello

I am wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice :smile:

I want to apply to the UEA foundation course as I got BBBB in my AS results and really want to do medicine, also I fit the special requirements about my secondary education being lower than national average, but my teachers have predicted me AAA for A-Level so I don't know whether they would consider me.

Also I'm doing a few resits in some of my AS modules will this affect my chances of getting a place?

I got an average UKCAT score of 2430 and in my GSCE's I got 2 A*'s, 7 A's and 4 B's

I am also applying to Keele, Lancaster and Hull/York for medicine and then Nottingham for biomedical science.

Thanks!! :smile:

4. I am predicted to achieve (or have achieved) AAA in Science A levels and I am considering applying for this course as an insurance policy in case I do not secure a place on a five year medicine course. Is this a good idea?

No, we do not advise this. Applicants presenting with AAA at A2 level are unlikely to benefit from the foundation year. A104 candidates should be able to demonstrate why they wouild benefit from the foundation year.
Thankyou for your reply! :smile:

That's really useful and it looks like it might be worth applying for the general medicine 5 year course,
fingers crossed! :smile:
You got what in your ukcat? GENIUS!!!!!!!! Best of luck!
Reply 14
UCAS app sent off!!
oops haha I meant I got 2430 overall in my UKCAT haha :smile:
Reply 16
I meet the criteria and my parents both left school at 16 but I went to private school although I never had a clear educational advantage as my dyslexia wasn't picked up until year 12 and I never got any extra help so really struggled to get my A2 grades this summer (ABB). Do you think they will still consider me?
Would they consider you application for the 6 year programme if your predicted grades were AAC or ABC?
Reply 18
is this the actual thread for this course or is there another one? seems a bit dead..
Reply 19
Original post by Sheo
is this the actual thread for this course or is there another one? seems a bit dead..

have you sent your application off and if you have have UEA informed you that they have recieved it yet??? i sent mine off a while ago but not been informed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending